Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbe to Apple iphone 5

• 09-05-2013 2:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I know all may of being covered before but recently I got an iphone 5 and have afew questions. My first apple product!

1 - Is it possible to get an app killer like on other smart phones?
    2 - Why is there no radio on the iphone and is my only option to download radio apps to listen to them?
    3 - My phone is about 2 weeks old and at times people cant hear me speaking now I didn't take much notice of this until I shaked the phone and realised that there is something lose or moves around just above the screen. Has this happened to anyone else or could I just have a faulty phone and it needs to get repaired. Mind you having to send a phone away thats 2 weeks old dosn't sit well with me and I would expect a replacment.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

1 - No, nor is there any need. Once you exit an app it is usually suspended except for certain tasks which it is allowed do in the background (such as playing audio, GPS, etc). An app can't fully run in the background for more than 10 minutes and if you discover an app that is abusing this you should delete it. Some users believe that apps in the multitasking bar are running in the background - this is not the case. They are merely recently used apps.

2 - You can get third-party FM radio add-ons, but streaming radio is probably your best bet. As for why there's no FM radio, I don't know. Probably because Apple would prefer for people to purchase and download digital content.

3 - A slight rattle beside the camera lens is normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Hi OP,

1) Just to clarify, you mean you want to switch off the Apps or delete them from the phone?

2) There is no Radio on iPhone. You'll have to download an App. I'd recommend TuneIn Radio as it's a very comprehensive radio app with access to international and local radio stations.

3) This is a very common issue with all versions of iPhone. There have been a few threads about the rattle noise in the iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

3 - this was reported on the Talk To 3 forum............

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056937581

....... Was reported and replacement phone was given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Thanks for all the replies.

So once you exit the majority of apps they close and don't waste you battery, thats all I wanted to know.

Such a stupid thing not having a radio, I would of checked before I got it but expected it as standard TBH but I have 5GB of internet per month so that wiil do. Will have to make do for 2 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

To turn off the active apps just double tap the home button and hold one of the apps that appear in a row at the bottom of the screen and hit '-'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Passenger wrote: »
    To turn off the active apps just double tap the home button and hold one of the apps that appear in a row at the bottom of the screen and hit '-'.

There's no need to do this unless you are having a problem with an app. As I said, the apps in the multitasking bar aren't active. They are just apps that have been opened recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

I don't think that's correct and for apps that use gps I find they definitely use more battery and keep using GPS in background.
    http://www.techlicious.com/tip/whats-draining-your-iphone-battery/

Yeah, Location Services is one of the background tasks an app can use and some apps have been known to abuse it. The Google app is a recent example of this. It's been speculated that Google Now was using GPS to wake the app and upload your location. If true this would explain the battery drain many were experiencing.

Force quitting the app from the multitasking bar won't actually stop it from doing this. Your only option is to delete it or disable the app's use of location services. Personally I advocate deleting apps that betray your trust or abuse multitasking in this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

There's no need to do this unless you are having a problem with an app. As I said, the apps in the multitasking bar aren't active. They are just apps that have been opened recently.

Wrong. Some apps continue to function and can continue to engage in comms, up and down. Best to clear the active apps on a regular basis and especially if there is a traffic charge or limit.

Piliger wrote: »
    Wrong. Some apps continue to function and can continue to engage in comms, up and down. Best to clear the active apps on a regular basis and especially if there is a traffic charge or limit.

Nope, there's no need to do this unless you are having a problem with the app. Many sites recommend doing this but they are mistaken.

Most of the apps you see in the multitasking bar are either suspended or long cleared from memory. It is a list of recently used apps, not active apps. There's no way of knowing which apps are using background services and some of them will continue to use GPS even after you force quit them from the multitasking bar. So clearing all the apps from the multitasking bar makes no difference and in the case of a suspended app may just make it slower to launch the next time you open it. If they aren't using a background service (audio, GPS, etc), an app can only run in the background for a few seconds after you exit them, with an extension of 10 minutes at most.

For more info on common misconceptions about iOS multitasking see here:

http://speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Nope, there's no need to do this unless you are having a problem with the app. Many sites recommend doing this but they are mistaken.
    Wrong. Many apps continue to operate and communicate on 3G and wifi. And that they don't is a common Myth being spread by people who really don't know what they are talking a about.

Many apps such as Skype, turn by turn apps such as Tom Tom, and other poorly written apps can continue to operate and communicate after clicking the home button. Other apps continue tasks set for them after being 'closed'. And if those apps are not extremely well written, it is common for tasks that are started before 'closing' not only to continue but to get stuck in loops. These 'closed' apps will often also hog RAM memory, reducing the capability of other running apps especially those that need more memory. The Mail app will always continue after closing for example. If you have 5 or 6 or 7 different email address and set it to check for new mail and then close it ... it wil continue the checking and downloading process. And if there is a comms problem, it will continue and continue. This is part of the reason behind battery problems on many iPhones.

For most people on most plans this behaviour is not a problem. But for those who are on low data plans ro needing to get the last bit of juice out of the battery, it can be a significant problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Piliger wrote: »
    Wrong. Many apps continue to operate and communicate on 3G and wifi. And that they don't is a common Myth being spread by people who really don't know what they are talking a about.

Many apps such as Skype, turn by turn apps such as Tom Tom, and other poorly written apps can continue to operate and communicate after clicking the home button. Other apps continue tasks set for them after being 'closed'. And if those apps are not extremely well written, it is common for tasks that are started before 'closing' not only to continue but to get stuck in loops. These 'closed' apps will often also hog RAM memory, reducing the capability of other running apps especially those that need more memory. The Mail app will always continue after closing for example. If you have 5 or 6 or 7 different email address and set it to check for new mail and then close it ... it wil continue the checking and downloading process. And if there is a comms problem, it will continue and continue. This is part of the reason behind battery problems on many iPhones.

For most people on most plans this behaviour is not a problem. But for those who are on low data plans ro needing to get the last bit of juice out of the battery, it can be a significant problem.
    Skype and Tomtom are two apps that are allowed to run in the background, the mail app always starts again anyway even if you close it, it might not be in the multitasking tray but try it on a jailbroken iphone with sbsettings and you will see it starts again a couple of seconds after closing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

Piliger is correct, apps running in the background do use system resources. You can check this in sbsettings if the phone is jail broken. If you have enough of them running in the background they still use available memory reducing the amount available for app you are currently using.

Either way, best option i have found (if your phone is jail broken) is to install "Kill Background". Its a 2 touch option that will close all apps running in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwxsCNuM16E

Advertisement