Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet FatPipe: Anyone know the full details

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

jamesnp wrote: »
    I'm actually devastated to find this out... I've been on Magnet Simply Broadband 24mb/1mb offering now for the last year, and I'm quite happy with it. I'm very keen to get the fibre though, and signed up on the 20th. Not once was it mentioned that there'd be any change in T&Cs from my current set up.

This is a terrible, terrible idea, for several reasons -> I use off site back up — I will shoot through the 4gb on the upload alone every day at ~4.05pm. Then for the rest of the night I'm getting a worse connection than I got in 2003 with Eircom. Even if I wasn't using offsite backup, say I had a large OS update to download ~ 8gb. I would download 4gb of that in about 5min, and then HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER 9HRS for the rest to download, not to mention other traffic.

It looks like I'll do the required 30 days and then switch to either their business package @ €75 odd a month (the static IP attracts me to this) or to Eircom (who seem to have the right idea about fibre and download limits/throttling.

Here's hoping Magnet will cop on a bit.

-jp
    Sure, just use your cooling-off period to cancel. It should be easy if you're not already connected and live so you shouldn't have to give 30 days notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Sure, just use your cooling-off period to cancel. It should be easy if you're not already connected and live so you shouldn't have to give 30 days notice.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for 30 days... fingers crossed that they won't actually implement this craziness.

-jp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for 30 days... fingers crossed that they won't actually implement this craziness.

-jp
    I think it's already set in stone. I'd say it's already happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

Glad I read to the end of this thread, that 4GB throttle is bull****. The **** is the point of having 70Mb/s broadband if you can't do anything with it bar browse the web?

I'm just so baffled. What absolute gombeen man in Magnet decided this would be a good idea? They've traditionally been the crowd to offer no holds barred broadband to people who cared about their connections; gamers, downloaders, etc.

I could probably get on with 15gb daily limit and a throttling to 15mbps... but 4gb to 1mbps... I just don't know what they're thinking.

Are they scared of what the new bandwidth demands will do to their network backbone or something?

-jp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Anyone already on magnet upgraded to the 70mb package ? Just noticed it says 45P/M is only for new customers. Wonder how much it costs to upgrade.

Where does it say it's only for new customers? I'm a long time Magnet customer.

According to the guy I was taking to, no one's been upgraded yet. They're putting in their first order batch to Eircom on 1st June.

-jp

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

"Giving you as much freedom and speed as you like, experience the future of fibre broadband today. *€45 only available to new customers."

https://www.magnet.ie/products/fatpipe-70/

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    "Giving you as much freedom and speed as you like, experience the future of fibre broadband today. *€45 only available to new customers."

https://www.magnet.ie/products/fatpipe-70/

Oh yeah, so it does... they definitely offered me the €45/m after asking me for my account number. Dunno?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I'm actually devastated to find this out... I've been on Magnet Simply Broadband 24mb/1mb offering now for the last year, and I'm quite happy with it. I'm very keen to get the fibre though, and signed up on the 20th. Not once was it mentioned that there'd be any change in T&Cs from my current set up.

This is a terrible, terrible idea, for several reasons -> I use off site back up — I will shoot through the 4gb on the upload alone every day at ~4.05pm. Then for the rest of the night I'm getting a worse connection than I got in 2003 with Eircom. Even if I wasn't using offsite backup, say I had a large OS update to download ~ 8gb. I would download 4gb of that in about 5min, and then HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER 9HRS for the rest to download, not to mention other traffic.

It looks like I'll do the required 30 days and then switch to either their business package @ €75 odd a month (the static IP attracts me to this) or to Eircom (who seem to have the right idea about fibre and download limits/throttling.

Here's hoping Magnet will cop on a bit.

-jp

You could try uploading it as you go if that is possible.

Throttling speed limits is ridiculous. They always striked me as geared towards tech heads

• Advertisement

Well, the backup is every hour to aws glacier, chances only. Unfortunately, the very time the most changes are made is when I save my changes to whatever project I've been working on for the day at about 5.

Who knows... Maybe I'd never actually hit the cap. I really don't like having to worry about it, though. It's a FTTC solution ffs, not a mobile broadband dongle!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If people don't like Magnets T&C's then you should vote with your pocket.

First email them letting them know that you don't like their T&C's and that you are considering moving to another ISP with better conditions.

If they don't change the T&C's, then take advantage of the non contract and move.

If enough people do this Magnet will likely change their tune very quickly. In the end, the customer is always right.

Having said that I'm really glad an ISP is finally offering a no contract option. It is a brave and dearing move by UPC, but perhaps a foolish one with such a stupid T&C !

bk wrote: »
    If people don't like Magnets T&C's then you should vote with your pocket.

True enough, BK. I don't like the fact I had to randomly happen upon the new terms, though — it wasn't mentioned at all when I was signing up. I think there's a lot people that have no clue about this new policy.

I've tweeted my distain to Magnet @MagnetNetworks #fatpipefibre

-jp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Can anyone identify the difference with the FatPipe STREAM service.

I'm on a 24mb ADSL line with MAgnet for €67 a month, and their website shows a MAgnet Stream 24mbps package available to my house for €45 a month, with no download limit and no contract. Currently under a 1 year contract afaik, so that might rule out a change, but considering they identified they would happily swop me over to Fatpipe 70mb when it arrives, just curious what is the Stream service that is €20 cheaper.

Magnet Force Max is the package I have

*Nevermind, think the website was bugging out, shows Fatpipe not available in my area, so no idea what this Magnet Stream service is that shows on the mobile site. Here is hoping Donabate gets brought into the 21st century soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

Stream is their standard service, using standard Eircom LLU. as for cheaper, i am only paying 45 for the standard 70Mb FatPipe... they changed their pricing just before they released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

lotas wrote: »
    Stream is their standard service, using standard Eircom LLU. as for cheaper, i am only paying 45 for the standard 70Mb FatPipe... they changed their pricing just before they released.

Yeah I'm getting charged €67 because I live in Somalia essentially.

*EDIT Phonecall to Magnet there about a small technical query, just had a chat with sales just to check my area for FatPipe. It seems areas of Donabate are coming online for it now, so hopefully not too much longer

Advertisement