Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TriAthy 6 Weeks to Try

Options
  • 09-05-2013 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Morning all..
    I'm nervously hoping to complete TriAthy in June.. Just looking for any advice and tips from any experienced newbies that have done it? Whats the course like, Swimming in the river scares the sh1t out of me !! Did you buy or hire wetsuits etc.. Still haven't registered.. haven't the guts to hit that button yet !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

miafitz wrote: »
    Morning all..
    I'm nervously hoping to complete TriAthy in June.. Just looking for any advice and tips from any experienced newbies that have done it? Whats the course like, Swimming in the river scares the sh1t out of me !! Did you buy or hire wetsuits etc.. Still haven't registered.. haven't the guts to hit that button yet !

River is fine, slow moving. Water is murky but not dirty. Bike course is flat, run course is congested but flat.

Most would own a wetsuit. If you haven't swam in a wetsuit get I would get a move on!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Hit the button.

Swim is downstream for try a tri, and pretty short.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Run course is a nightmare if running is your strongest and you'll be overtaking people. The rest is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheFatMan

Go ahead and take the plunge Athy is a great event. The sprint distance is manageable for someone in reasonable shape.
    As everyone has said the run and bike are on the flat.
    Swim is in the river and swimming in a wetsuit for the 1st time can be weird and you are more boyant and restricted around the chest and arms.
    Swim to the edge of the river against the current, then swim in the middle with the current. Take your time and hang back from the initial washing machine mayham at the start whistle and all will be well.
    Did my 1st Athy one 4 years ago this year my father, father in law, brother in law and wife are all having a crack at the sprint distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

I signed up for this too about 2.5 weeks ago miafitz and am now sh!tting it.
    Have never done anything like this in my life.
    Not terribly fit.. Have never run in my life. Am doing the '6 weeks to try' plan they have on FB. Finding the training enjoyable. Struggling with the run mainly, but will persevere. Reckon I'll be last to finish, but feck it.. Have to start somewhere...

So, go on... Go for it! Press that registration button :-D

P.s. there is a swimathy event the week before to try the open water swim. Will be doing that myself too. Will prob be helpful to get a fell for what it'll be like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 miafitz

Hi c07, yep you sound like me !!
    I too am following the plan on fb only started last week !!! I do run, but not a great swimmer, did my first cycle 12.5k and didn't find it to bad, did my first brick session last night although backwards run & swim and I didn't die which is great :) How do you find the training plan ? It seems grand so far anyway.. Yeah I will do the swimathy as that is what I'm most terrified about.. If I can get the swim over, I'm hoping I will be ok for the rest.. Let me know how you're getting on, it's great to have someone in the same boat as me :)

Yep, I'm finding the plan grand too. Although, I did the cycle/run brick yesterday after some serious overindulgence (bday party, not mine!) and thought I was going to vomit.. :(
    I hate the idea that my weakest part is going to be the last part of the try... But hey, nothing I can do about it.
    I'll be doing the cycle on a mountain bike, but hopefully it won't hinder me too much!
    How are you fixed gear-wise for it? I had to buy a wetsuit and ended up buying a trisuit too.
    Have decided that if I survive this, I'll continue to do tris. I've just registered for the super sprint tri in Kilkenny for end of july. It's similar to our Athy one in distances.

Hey c07
    I'm here waiting to get out for my cycle but the weather is horrific hailstones the size of golf balls .. I did the brick session yesterday as Sat I had communion parties to go to, didn't get in till 3am, but I knew that if I want to do this it had to be done.. So found the cycle grand but my run (which is suppose to be my strongest) was brutal.. I don't think I've ever ran so slow..and I mean baby steps.. but anyway I'm delighted I did it. (and did help the hangover) This weeks training plan seems grand apart from the swimming for me.. I haven't bought a thing yet, I guess I'm waiting until I register which hopefully will be this weekend.. Just giving myself this weeks training to make sure.. Where did you purchase your gear ? I haven't a clue what I'm even looking for.. oh god maybe I am crazy.....

Wow, now that's dedication ... Training on a hangover! I'm impressed :D

I got the trisuit on irishf!t.eu.. I think there's plenty of places that do them. I found lots when googling. Wetsuit was on amazon.

Haha.. Maybe we're both mad.. But fek it, at least there's a min of two of us nutters.. Lol

This week seems fine alright. Although, my legs were still killing me yest after the run the previous evening, so for the 15min interval of pushing it out on the bike, I really felt it. Today is rest day though, so that's exactly what I'll be doing :P

Ok I've finally registered !!! I guess I had to or I would just chicken out of it . I have almost ordered a wet suit, but I see L#dl have them in next Thursday, so wondering would this one be ok ?? Has anyone bought one there before ? It would save me a fortune for something I may never use again... thanks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NewWheels

MiaFitz & c07 great to see you have both signed up for the TryAthy event.

Yes I too am a newbie and have been doing the training - Love the Rest days :)

I am one of the TryAthletes so if there is any advice or encouragement I can help with just drop a line. Don't forget to follow all the blogs on the site when your collecting your weekly plan as our stories are similar to yours.

See you at the start line (and more importantly the Finish Line)

:)

Hey NewWheels.. Congrats on being one of the tryathlete crew. The support must be great.

Hubby did something to his back today so didn't get to sneak off to do the brick sesh. First slip up in the schedule. :(
    Hopefully get to it tomo while kiddies are napping.
    I'm getting more and more nervous the closer it gets.. Hope to fek I can do this without making a holy show of myself.

Big ups to you miafitz on registering... You'll do great :-)

Ouch !!!
    So went out yesterday to do my brick session.. My friend said she would time me etc.. so took of my runners, set up the bike and did a few laps of her garden barefoot before jumping on the bike.. she decided to cycle with me as we were only doing few minutes.. but instead of turning back we continued to cycle a little more and more resulting in doing 23k !! I was delighted as at least now I know I'm able to do the 20k needed but I'm in bits this morning.. Could have used a lift to get me out of the bed, my poor legs don't know what happened to them ! This time next week I'll be in the barrow for swimathy.. the thoughts of it just sends me into a panic.. it will be my first time swimming in a wet suit and the open water.. and I still can't do 10 lengths without stopping !!!! Why am I doing this again ?!!

Wow... Well done miafitz... That's fantastic! Big pat on the back to you.. I'll be eating your dust by the sound of it!
    Don't worry about the swim.. I reckon the tester session next sat should be enough to take the fear and unknown out of it and you'll be all guns blazing from then!

Why am I doing this again ?!!
    Because it makes you awesome. ;)

Ha ! mad more like !! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oryx wrote: »
    Because it makes you awesome. ;)

Are you doing Athy?

Hi

Wow you two are certainly getting the training in - Well done

A few words of advice that were passed to me from (experienced triathlete) friends:
    - relax and enjoy the training - the journey to the start line should be as much fun as crossing the finish line

- do not worry about times/timing during training - it will all come right on the day

- make sure your training leading up is as consistent as possible.

I too will be at SwimAthy and yep it will be my first wetsuit swimm also. From what I read and hear it supposed to be easier in a wetsuit with the added buoyancy.

Mia - Love the creativity with teh barefoot garden run!!

c07 - sorry to hear about your hubby, hope he ie better soon.

the last comment goes to a member of ActivMultisport Tri Club who told me to:

"just enjoy it - you'll never do a first triathlon again"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Ok I've finally registered !!! I guess I had to or I would just chicken out of it . I have almost ordered a wet suit, but I see L#dl have them in next Thursday, so wondering would this one be ok ?? Has anyone bought one there before ? It would save me a fortune for something I may never use again... thanks..

I'd give these suits a miss. I think cyclesuperstore in Dublin have a number of good second hand ones for similar money and they'd be far better than the lidl suit. These suits are more of a recreational suit and they'd probably be very awkward to swim in.

Are you doing Athy?
    If I can get hold of enough awesomeness, yeah. Oly this year. You signed up or not?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that NewWheels .. did my swim session last night and was feeling very deflated until I read your post !! Hope you're training is going well, I love catching up on all your blogs.. So off to SwimAthy I go.. and still haven't bought my wetsuit.. I'm heading to Dublin tomorrow so hopefully will come home with something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Thanks for that NewWheels .. did my swim session last night and was feeling very deflated until I read your post !! Hope you're training is going well, I love catching up on all your blogs.. So off to SwimAthy I go.. and still haven't bought my wetsuit.. I'm heading to Dublin tomorrow so hopefully will come home with something :)

If you have the time these guys have one of those infinity type pools for testing suits so you can try before you buy. It's a great set up the record your stroke in all it's glory :eek: and give you some pointers.

https://base2race.myshopify.com/pages/wetsuit

You might need to book in advance though. :)

Thanks NewWheels - hubby seems back on track, so so am I!
    Did a 14k cycle on sun, 15k cycle on mon and then a 3.2k run yest. I still haven't done a full length version of the cycle or run and being so close to d-day, that seems a bit daunting.
    Although I am definitely noticing the improved fitness levels. Delighted with that! :D
    Looking forward to sun and the swimathy. Supposed to be doing the swim 'ladder' tonight but I'm not going to get to it due to work/family circumstances today but will attempt to either get it in tomo or the weekend.

Miafitz.. Happy shopping tomo.. That base2race place mr.fred mentioned sounds brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Some might B2R a bit expensive but the service is top class. They make sure what you want is what you get and the after sales service is fab in my experience. I brought back a Tri Suit almost a year after buying it cos the Zip broke. I had only worn it a few times. They changed it without asking a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I did the tri athy as my first triathlon in 2008. I was a nervous wreck as well, especially with the swim. In the end, with a bit of prep it wasnt too big a deal at all.

For those new to this, I would strongly recommend going down to Athy when they do the practice swim (a week before the race usually). Getting into a cold river is a daunting prospect and some people including my self felt a bit panicky putting heads under the water. Initially I ended up only doing a few front crawl strokes before I had to stop due to me trying to catch my breath during this practice session. I was quite panicky. Practice front crawl now, a week before race day and do as much swimming as you feel comfortable in the practice session. It will all help steady race day nerves.

The good news is that after this initial shock, I began to get used to the initial cold (takes about 5 mins to warmup), I relaxed and was able to swim a few hundred metres. On race day, the swim went without a hitch. I was one of the slowest swimmers, but I didnt care. I would recommend to ignore the pace of others around you. Go at your own pace. Be strict on this. Alot of people go ripping into the swim at the start only to be caught further up the river.

Also, get into the water on race day as soon as you can to give yourself and extra 3 or 4 minutes to get settled. I find that 5-6 minutes of bobbing around and dipping my head under the water was plenty to get settled. Your heart rate rockets with the initial cold, so its best to take a few minutes to warm up the water in the wetsuit, and therefore let you heart rate calm down before the off.

I loved the event. Wear 2 swim hats btw and pull them down to your eyebrows to avoid icecream headache. You are doing the right thing, its a great course.

Good luck!

Oh wow, that's interesting andrewf20. I would never have thought of that kind of reaction to an ow swim (see the total newbie here! Lol)
    I'm now even more glad to be doing that practice swim on Sunday. I'd say I'll need it

Well, yesterday, I couldn't get to a pool before it closed so switched my sessions and did the cycle/brick transition that was scheduled for today.
    It looked easy on paper, but it bloody well wasn't. I guess it didn't help that my cycle was on grass, tougher on my legs and when I headed into the run, I found it REALLY hard to keep the running going.
    I really think this might all come crashing down around me on the run :(
    Doesn't help that it's the last stretch of it where everyone will be pushing to the end...
    Anyway, will persist and hope it all comes right on the day!

Great reading Andrewf20.. like c07 never thought of all the other reactions to the cold water.. great advice re swimhats will def be doing that !

Don't worry c07 I'm right with you for the run.. I'm just all over the place after getting off the bike.. I'm just going to focus on getting to the finish line, honestly don't care about times so be it run walk or crawl.. we'll get there !! I went back to the pool yesterday as I had such a crap session the night before.. Had a little chat with myself (you can do it !!) and guess what I did :) ! ok I was wrecked after doing 125 meters but so delighted I didn't have to stop once.. and then once I knew I could do it I did it again.. It really is mind over matter..(will be reminding myself over and over and over again on Sunday morning) :)

c07 & miafitz you both are doing wonderfully well. All the other posters here who are doing it for the first time (me included) will get to the finish line. And we will all recognise each other because we will be the ones with the biggest smiles :)

Many thanks Andrewf20 for your words of advice - noted and will be done on Sunday next.

Sneak preview of my blog tomorrow:
    Mental Strength
    I have found that while I have definitely improved my personal fitness and also the technical challenges of the three disciplines it is the mental side of the sport that has been a rollercoaster ride. “Triathlon is 50% physical and 50% mental” (C Wellington 2011) and I have experienced that over the last five weeks. I have had extreme highs at the end of a swim set or a run but also experienced some lows like with the injury, or when training was not going to well or my lack of sleep, or general health was down from worrying was I training right, would I drown!, will the legs hold up, would I complete the event! I am now stronger. I bring the mental strength I have learnt to my daily life. The training eases daily stress.

This is a great sport and I do hope that TriAthy is not our one and only triathlon. Or is anyone going to admit they have already signed up for another later in the year????? ;)

Right like miafitz I am off wetsuit shopping - this should be fun!!

Update:

Got a Zoot wetsuit in Cycle Superstore - was €200 now €149. Two rails of bargains there too (Mens & Ladies. Some sizes up to 50% off

Might be worth a look if you still need to get one

• Advertisement

Good stuff miafitz.. Sounds like you've beaten you're swimming demons.. Well, well done! Ok, so I may be doing the crawling over the finish line, but you're right.. We WILL finish :D

NewWheels.. Love the blog.. Agree 100% that it's a combination of mental and physical strength. Fair play to u for trucking on thru injury. I may have stopped if I was in a similar situation. So, massive kudos to you!
    Nice one on the wetsuit.. Great price.

Advertisement