Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TriAthy 6 Weeks to Try

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Just read this on another Forum and thought it would be relevant for ye guys looking at buying wetsuits and sizing.

"A wise but particularly hairy man once told me that if you can zip up your own suit then it's too big." BTH

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    "A wise but particularly hairy man once told me that if you can zip up your own suit then it's too big." BTH

Feck that I'm already in a XS but did think it was a little big.

Where do I get a boys wetsuit? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oryx wrote: »
    If I can get hold of enough awesomeness, yeah. Oly this year. You signed up or not?

I half signed up for the Oly, didn't pay for it yet...need to make sure I've a car to get there but need to pay by tomorrow.

So bad at decisions.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I half signed up for the Oly, didn't pay for it yet...need to make sure I've a car to get there but need to pay by tomorrow.

So bad at decisions.
    Put out a call for a lift!

To the first timers, once you start the race, don't worry about what you did, or whats to come, concentrate on what you are doing right now.

And between now and the race, when you have spare time, lay out your gear as if in transition, and rehearse how you will do T1 and T2. Its not to make you fast at it really, but to prevent cockups! In a rush on the day strange things happen, like putting your helmet on backwards, getting on the bike in your wetsuit, running from T2 in cleats. Even simple things like forgetting sunglasses can be annoying. So even though its often the forgotten part of tri, practice transition.

Two main rules to remember are
    Put on and fasten your helmet before touching your bike, and only take it off once the bike is racked.
    Do not mount your bike before the mount line, and you must dismount before the dismount line.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 miafitz

NewWheels wrote: »
    Update:

Got a Zoot wetsuit in Cycle Superstore - was €200 now €149. Two rails of bargains there too (Mens & Ladies. Some sizes up to 50% off

Might be worth a look if you still need to get one

Snap ! Me too .. great value.. now just have to figure out how to get into it again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

Ok, I'm freaking about tomo and it's not even competitive... Wtf??!
    I'll be a wreck next fri :(

Well guys, how did ye find it today?
    I was looking at the map of the 250 on swimathy vs what we did today in Athy, and they look like different distances. As in the map distance seems longer than what we did today. Did we really do 250m today?.
    Have to say I was delighted in that I found the wetsuit DEFINITELY made swimming easier for me..:)
    My freaking out levels have (slightly) reduced.. Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

bit of a shambles organisation wise, registration only after 9.30 and people were queing 45mins to sign their name and get a hat! i dont know what the hold up was. all races started roughly an hour late which is poor form. lucky the weather was nice.

i hope nice week goes a bit better although now i have huge doubts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

adamski8 wrote: »
    i hope nice week goes a bit better although now i have huge doubts

I hope they get their act together the Sprint distance already has a ridiculous start time. :eek:

c07 wrote: »
    Well guys, how did ye find it today?
    I was looking at the map of the 250 on swimathy vs what we did today in Athy, and they look like different distances. As in the map distance seems longer than what we did today. Did we really do 250m today?.
    Have to say I was delighted in that I found the wetsuit DEFINITELY made swimming easier for me..:)
    My freaking out levels have (slightly) reduced.. Lol

Well done c07 !!! Yeah... we survived !! :) It was not as bad as I had expected and I did find it seemed quite short... a great experience that has really taken the fear out of it for me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NewWheels

miafitz/c07 - I foolishly measured it on Google maps hmmm let's just say their time keeping reflects their measuring skills - but it was meant to be a getting used to the river swim event so we have all got over the 'shock' factor.

Here's to next week guys and a great finish for all of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

miafitz/c07 - I foolishly measured it on Google maps hmmm let's just say their time keeping reflects their measuring skills - but it was meant to be a getting used to the river swim event so we have all got over the 'shock' factor.

How much did it measure? Looked like more like 150 than 250

No wonder it didn't feel to bad !! Yeah it does look like it was only about 150 .. I guess at least I got the fear of the open water out of it but its a pity that such a mistake could be made !

Ah, I thought as much... But, look, it's only another 100... Not the worst. I think it was prob more important for us to just get a feel for it alright.
    Bring on next Sat :-D

Did you both stay for the briefing near the courthouse?

Sure did NewWheels. I was actually standing to your right under the alcove. Was going to introduce myself only you ran off to get your running gear for the run course.. ;-)
    Lol!

Ah c07. You should have. Was hoping to meet either you or mia to say Hi

Of course you could have come for the run (was quite short n really just showed transition and finish line)

Really would have loved to do the run too. But my folks were minding the smallies (hubby had the pink pass the night before for a boys night out so hadn't gotten home at that stage! Lol) and I was conscious of the time.
    If I see u on sat, will definitely say hi ;-)

I stayed too.. but didn't get a chance to introduce myself !! Had planned to stay for the run, but I was so hungry (was too nervous to eat before the swim) and had a 2yr old going a bit crazy so I rushed off..Will definitely say Hi on Sat !! Must say I really enjoyed it and was really surprised with my time even if I have to double it for the distance we didn't do I'll be happy...

Although we did not do the full run course the bit we did is lovely. You go out along the road that we will cycle on and then down to the river bank and run along the bank to the finish line. The finish line is the grassy area we were all standing at last Sunday.

Hope your all taking it easy for this week! Checking your gear (at least 4 times!! haha), picturing yourself getting out of the water and over to your bike, coming over the little bridge right beside the finish line (no not the big one over the river a small one up the bank that you run over coming up to the finish) and of course practising the BIG smile as you cross the line and declare "I am a Triathlete"!!

• Advertisement

Ok my nerves are shattered all ready.. waves have been published and I see that there is approx 80 in each wave... I thought 34 was crowded at swim athy last week !

miafitz wrote: »
    Ok my nerves are shattered all ready.. waves have been published and I see that there is approx 80 in each wave... I thought 34 was crowded at swim athy last week !
    Stay at the back, swim at your own pace, and tbh, be ready for a few bumps. Youll be fine.

Oh miafitz, me too...
    When I saw the published waves I felt physically sick. Don't know why.. Maybe more real, I guess..
    I'm in wave 2. What wave are you in?

Could not agree with Oryx more - just find your own space and stay calm. remember you have swam this river already the others may not have.

Are we in the same Wave c07 & Miafitz?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

c07 wrote: »
    Oh miafitz, me too...
    When I saw the published waves I felt physically sick. Don't know why.. Maybe more real, I guess..
    I'm in wave 2. What wave are you in?

Anxiousness is natural. Its hard to combat but when you get in the water and start swimming you's will wonder what all the worry was about. The reality is that theres probably a fair few others in exactly the same nervous mind set as you's.

Ive done 10 triathlons and its always like this for me beforehand as well but once the race starts, you settle down and get on with the task at hand. Its the 30 minutes before every race that gets me. Im full of butterflies standing at the edge of the river watching the earlier waves start of. This is mentally the hardest part in many ways.

Enjoy the event, you'll have a blast.

Morning guys.. I'm in wave 1 so at least I'll get it over with first I guess.. Just reading through the info pack, and I'm so clueless !! Drafting ?? Also do we need to label our bikes with our race numbers? I may re read it all again as so much went over my head !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Morning guys.. I'm in wave 1 so at least I'll get it over with first I guess.. Just reading through the info pack, and I'm so clueless !! Drafting ?? Also do we need to label our bikes with our race numbers? I may re read it all again as so much went over my head

First of all best of luck to you ant the others was looking at this for a few week and all ye have come so far. Good on you.
    Next thing is to relax, it will not be a bother to any of you. Just enjoy it.
    On drafting. Drafting is when you are in someones slipstream on the bike. You must stay 10m behind the bike in front, roughly 3 bike lenghts.Don't worry it will be explained on the day. There are other rules as well like make sure you put on and clip your helmet before you move your bike, then put your bike back up before you unclip your helmet.

A few deep breaths before it and shout out "I can do it" and of you go.

And most important... Enjoy it...as it is over before you know it

With drafting, just don't stay right behind someone else. Either pass them or fall back. Its pretty simple. The bike labels are a security thing, keep your race number with you when you go to collect your bike afterwards as they may be using that to ensure the right person has the right bike.

Great advice an reassurance from the more experienced triathletes here. Many thanks

Hope to see some of you Saturday. Still no idea what wave am in as they omitted me!

• Advertisement

Great advice an reassurance from the more experienced triathletes here. Many thanks

Hope to see some of you Saturday. Still no idea what wave am in as they omitted me!
    You are on the 'who's in' list though?

Advertisement