Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TriAthy 6 Weeks to Try

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NewWheels

Oryx wrote: »
    You are on the 'who's in' list though?

But not in a wave.....yet. did finally get response saying it will be sorted so guess will be in last wave. Hope not to many from Sprint race pass me LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

NewWheels wrote: »
    But not in a wave.....yet. did finally get response saying it will be sorted so guess will be in last wave. Hope not to many from Sprint race pass me LOL

I believe there are only 3 waves in the tri so i wouldn't worry too much.

Elvis - It is humour that is calming the nerves!!!!! :)

At the start of the week I was hoping to finish by Monday so my optimism is improving LOL

Elvis - It is humour that is calming the nerves!!!!! :)

At the start of the week I was hoping to finish by Monday so my optimism is improving LOL

Listen just smile and enjoy, i gurantee if you are last out of the water in the try you'll get a better cheer than the 1st person.

It will be worth all the nerves and pain for how you'll feel as you cross the end line.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

Thanks to everyone for the great advice...
    I'm now passed the 'sick' feeling and on to the nervous, but excited, butterflies in tum feeling.
    I'm so, so glad I've put myself in for this. My fitness levels have noticeably improved, I feel better mentally..
    Although, I'm kind of limiting myself to doing the shorter 'try' versions of these races this year, I'm already looking forward to hitting the proper sprint ones next year... I would NEVER have dreamed I'd be saying something like that a few months ago :-D

• Advertisement

As for you NewWheels... Maybe they thought you were ready for the sprint/oly and put you there instead ;)

Nope c07 I have the same approach as you Try distance this year strictly

Did you see there are ones in DunLaoire, Athlone, Kilkenny and Lough Neagh - yep have been planning the next panic attack :)

And yes Sprints next year, Oly 2015 and 2016 Iron... hahahaha Yeah right

Meant to ask How is the Hubby's back?

I've already signed up for athlone and Kilkenny and am thinking about the Dublin one.. Lol! Look at us, and we haven't even done our first one...

Ah, thanks for asking about hubby. Yup, his back is fine again thankfully.. He does his back in the odd time. Reckon he has a weak back, and doesn't help when there's three smallies jumping on him and looking to be swung around!!

Reckon you should just go straight to IM next year btw.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 miafitz

I'm not at that stage yet where I can plan anything fair play to ye guys !! ... I'm having pains in my legs, ankles, chest.. you name it I think I'm getting it !!! It madness I've never felt so nervous about anything before.. and I've had 4 boys (including twins) and think I would prefer to be heading in to be induced on Sat instead of doing the Tri now !! I'm hoping once Sat comes I'll be grand and I can not wait to see the finish line with my 5 men waiting for me.. That is what will get me through it .. Oh and the cold pint of Coors Lte waiting for me :):):)

• Advertisement

Wow.. Miafitz.. Me too.. I've got twin boys :-D

C'mere.. You'll do great. I bet you will surprise yourself and get the bug. Then maybe it'll be you doing olys next year..
    Coors can sponsor you ;-)

That's funny ! maybe that's why we're both a little crazy !! I guess if we can handle twin boys we're made of something special ;) !

Ladies you have me on the giving birth to kids thing

To be nervous is good - it means you want it :):)

And I will just have to agree that it is the kids that does his back in c07 ;) (and not the garden and chores of course)

You will both be great - so please hang around at the end of the race to watch me cross the line!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Not at all NewWheels. With your dedication, you'll have the coors lite ready for miafitz (I know her hubby will be waiting with one too... But it's gonna be a hot day, and she'll have a thirst!)
    Mine's a Malibu.. :P

Seriously though... We are going to be triathletes after this...
    BRING IT ON!

:) Yes we are going to be Triathletes :)

And then we can do Athlone and Kilkenny too. Do keep an eye on the Dun Laoire one for when the post the Try distance. They hope to have it at Seapoint - it is a blue flag beach and I swam there last week - it's gorgeous.

Have you all your kit ready? Plasters, duct tape, a towel - I can post my list if it would help - either here or FB.

Your both going to have to send me your Race Numbers so I can keep an eye out for you on Saturday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

And then we can do Athlone and Kilkenny too. Do keep an eye on the Dun Laoire one for when the post the Try distance. They hope to have it at Seapoint - it is a blue flag beach and I swam there last week - it's gorgeous.

Have you all your kit ready? Plasters, duct tape, a towel - I can post my list if it would help - either here or FB.

Your both going to have to send me your Race Numbers so I can keep an eye out for you on Saturday :)

Duct tape :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Your both going to have to send me your Race Numbers so I can keep an eye out for you on Saturday :)[/QUOTE
    Going to have to tell all on here your no's.
    how else are we going to shout all of ye to the finish line :D

Yes duct tape to attach your number to your bike - fold it over the frame and tape up - otherwise you stick it to the frame itself and that could make a mess of the paintwork!!

Yesterday I was number 2500 - but of course they have to sort my Wave entry yet so number could be different

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Yes duct tape to attach your number to your bike - fold it over the frame and tape up - otherwise you stick it to the frame itself and that could make a mess of the paintwork!!

Yesterday I was number 2500 - but of course they have to sort my Wave entry yet so number could be different

You would be better of putting some cling film on first then stick the number on the cling film. ;)
    When the race is over just take of the cling film and Whay hay no stickey glue on the bike.
    Duck Tape can be hard to get off especially if sun is on it. It will melt the glue and that will make it hard to shift. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Ah right. Use electrical insulating tape it leaves no marks at all guaranteed :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Knarly sticker marks are like status symbols. They say 'look at me, I race' ;) but do put them on the seat post or somewhere equally unobtrusive.

Good suggestions guys. Comes from making the mistake on a sportive a while back

I'm 3214...
    I was putting my stuff together tonight and completely forgot the plasters..
    I have:
    Trisuit, wetsuit, helmet, race belt, sunglasses, gels, runners, spare tyre tube, two towels, goggles

Will have water bottle on bike, and pump

Anything I missed?

That would be great newwheels, I haven't even a list made yet !!!:eek: thanks everyone for all the encouragement on here it really has helped the nerves tonight.. Triathlete ... yeah like the sound of that !

Here is my list that I will put together tonight:
    1. Drop Bag - Hoodie, Tracksuit and T-Shirt. You may be waiting when ur finished before you can shower etc and you will need to stay warm

2. Race - Trisuit, Triathlon Ireland Licence, Racebelt

3. Swim - wetsuit, goggles x 2, hat, Bodyglide/Suit Juice, Flip flops (optional)

3. Bike - bicycle, helmet, cycling shoes (optional), sunglasses, socks, spare tubes x2, tyre levers & pump

4. Run - runners, baby powder, Cap/sunglasses

5. Nutrition - Pre-race snack & drinks, drinks, gels/bars, Post race recovery drink/snack

Leave all jewels/rings off - safer that way

Suggest putting your name on your items where possible e.g. the wetsuit

It may all go pear-shaped on the day but as long as you enjoy yourself you will always pick it back up again for the next race.

Above all, don’t forget to pack your spirit of adventure, your enthusiasm for the competition (even if it is just with yourself) and your sense of fun.
    :):):):):):):):):):)

Update - Am Bib number 3189 as they have got me in the right event/wave now.

Wave 1 - Happy with that Get In , Get It Done, Get Out :)

25hours and counting....... BRING IT ON

With thanks to Elvis Jones

"For anyone heading down this evening just be aware that there's a major crash on the link road between the Athy and the N9. INfo is patchy at the moment."

With thanks to Elvis Jones

"For anyone heading down this evening just be aware that there's a major crash on the link road between the Athy and the N9. INfo is patchy at the moment."

I do everything even traffic updates ! I might as well even race for yee !

I am hearing that there have been 3 people killed in that accident so there will be road closeures. If coming from Dublin we'd advise to come off the motorway at Kilcullen and come in the old road. If from Waterford come off at Carlow and follow the signs for Athy.

That stretch of road will be closed. Its a very sad way to start our weekend and thoughts are with the families at this time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Best of luck to ye all tomorrow. Remember to enjoy it and appreciate all you have achieved. This stuff is addictive, here!s hoping tomorrow is the first of many.

Advertisement