Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going rate for hosting Spanish student

Options
  • 09-05-2013 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭

Thinking of letting our spare room out to a Spanish student. It's a single room in Marino, Dublin 3.
    Anyone know the going rate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

I could be wrong but I think 'hosting agencies' (assuming you'd be using one) only choose houses in certain areas. Mainly far-out suburbs like Blanch & Lucan etc. for their students. But you would need to check with them whether Marino would be covered.

Going rate afaik is about 150 per week.

Aparently you would need to be doing it on "an industrial scale" - ie, 3,4,5, 6+ students to make it worth your while. Since you will be expected to make numerous meals per day and other duties (like bringing them to interestingt places etc). So doing so for one student for that amount of money may not be worth while when there are other options. Im not even sure if bills are included in that price so you might be paying the extra gas and electricity aswell.

That other option is renting a room. Where you might get 80-100 a week without all of the obligations, responsibilities and hassle associated with looking after a host student. Bills are split too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I know a family who do it, they get €160 per week. They only have to provide breakfast and dinner, and have no other "duties". The language school organises activities and trips and stuff. You're not a tour guide- you are merely providing a bed and food!

ElleEm wrote: »
    I know a family who do it, they get €160 per week. They only have to provide breakfast and dinner, and have no other "duties". The language school organises activities and trips and stuff. You're not a tour guide- you are merely providing a bed and food!

I dont think thats the case with all agencies. I am certain that in some instances the host family/person are required to bring them to "interesting places".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

coolemon wrote: »
    I dont think thats the case with all agencies. I am certain that in some instances the host family/person are required to bring them to "interesting places".

I don't know about agencies, I suppose it depends on who the provider of students is, and if they are attending a language school in the day. The family I know who do this have been doing it for years pretty much all year round, along with other families in the area. I know they do it for one of the larger language schools in Dublin. The students are rarely there as they would attend English classes during the day, day trips planned for the weekend or they would spend the weekend days out with their friends and they would be out most of the evenings at organised activities or again out with pals.

OP, if you are really interested in it, you could Google the language schools in Dublin and go from there.

http://www.hornerschool.com/accommodation/host-family-accommodation-dublin/

http://www.dublinci.com/accommodation.php

Seems to be "half board" at €190 pw in high season. Clean bed linen, bed, towels and food seems to be all you have to provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I could be wrong but I think 'hosting agencies' (assuming you'd be using one) only choose houses in certain areas. Mainly far-out suburbs like Blanch & Lucan etc. for their students. But you would need to check with them whether Marino would be covered.

Aparently you would need to be doing it on "an industrial scale" - ie, 3,4,5, 6+ students to make it worth your while. Since you will be expected to make numerous meals per day and other duties (like bringing them to interestingt places etc). So doing so for one student for that amount of money may not be worth while when there are other options. Im not even sure if bills are included in that price so you might be paying the extra gas and electricity aswell.

That other option is renting a room. Where you might get 80-100 a week without all of the obligations, responsibilities and hassle associated with looking after a host student. Bills are split too.

Any reason why they go for "far out suburbs" :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

ronan45 wrote: »

They don't, they do it all over the city.
    What often happens is that a family who are hosting are asked by the school do they know someone that they would recommend living nearby so they could share a bus to and from the school and show them the ropes.

This often creates areas where there are a lot of students.

The going rates €135-€160 weekly, the prices quoted is what the school charge the student not what the host family receive.

Younger students under 18 can pay more during the summer months and expect to be brought somewhere on the weekends sometimes.

Thinking of letting our spare room out to a Spanish student. It's a single room in Marino, Dublin 3.
    Anyone know the going rate?

Often the school will organise the host family for the first month then the student has to do it themselves, often staying on in the same host house at an agreed new rate.

ronan45 wrote: »

Take this for example:

"Location

Our host families live outside the city centre in houses with gardens in the suburbs of Dublin. The majority of our families live in residential areas on the south side of the city within 1 bus ride of the school.

Most students come to school each day on public transport (bus/train). The journey time takes approximately 40-50 minutes, though this may be longer at peak traffic times.

Please note that family accommodation is not available in the city centre." - http://www.ihdublin.com/homestay-accommodation-for-adults

Similar requirements can be found on some other host family websites.

Some reasons for this may include

- Suburbs are seen as safer and/or leafier.
    - They are further from nightclubs and other divilment.
    - Perhaps the accomodation is seen as more spacious as one goes out.

It probably puts the parents of young students at greater ease knowing that their kids are not plonked in the city centre somewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

We hosted two Italians last summer.
    We were paid €18 per night, and had to provide food and a room.

They bought their own bus tickets and got to town and the school daily. We brought them to school and town on the first day, to show them around.

We had to collect them from the centre on the first day and dropped them on the last they.

They were very nice people and no hassle what so ever. So I recommend getting 1/2... It's easy money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

When I used do it, Sundays were host family days where you were expected to bring the student to local attractions etc, however as they got settled, the students preferred to use Sunday to meet up with their friends and do things themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭romperstomper

you are certainly wrong on area. my mother has been hosting for 5 years in Raheny. Dart or QBC is preferred as language schools are in city centre. 160e per week, breakfast & dinner and lift to airport when trip is over (they are typically delivered to you)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

My mother in law has done it for nearly 30 yrs and we did it for 5, expect approx €600 for 28 days, nightly meals, packed lunch on Saturday's, and bring them somewhere on Sunday's.

Multiples students are easier, as they entertain each other.

Not the easiest money, some great people, some you're happy to see go home.

Always depends on school, but they seem to prefer if you provide en suite rooms, but we put bunks in and they were always happy to share.

We did this in Bray, but it's worth mentioning that the recession is happening everywhere, so less students are coming now, and competition is greater to house them. So having previously kept them, or having a good recommendation from someone who does is probably key.

My mother in law has done it for nearly 30 yrs and we did it for 5, expect approx €600 for 28 days, nightly meals, packed lunch on Saturday's, and bring them somewhere on Sunday's.

Multiples students are easier, as they entertain each other.

Not the easiest money, some great people, some you're happy to see go home.

Always depends on school, but they seem to prefer if you provide en suite rooms, but we put bunks in and they were always happy to share.

We did this in Bray, but it's worth mentioning that the recession is happening everywhere, so less students are coming now, and competition is greater to house them. So having previously kept them, or having a good recommendation from someone who does is probably key.

Is there an allowance towards the bills or is that paid from the 600?

Is there an allowance towards the bills or is that paid from the 600?

It's all in, it would be too complicated and very mean.

Amazing the stories you hear from students who had to move from dirty accommodation and host families fecking off on holidays half way through an organised stay.

Providing crap food, never changing beds etc.

nudger wrote: »
    It's all in, it would be too complicated and very mean.

Amazing the stories you hear from students who had to move from dirty accommodation and host families fecking off on holidays half way through an organised stay.

Providing crap food, never changing beds etc.

I dont know what you mean by very mean.

Not all hosts, or most hosts, would be like that.

You are talking here about 150 per week for cooking, cleaning, paying all the bills and being a part-time tour guide (with the fuel costs/car insurance/tax that goes with that)

When one could rent a room for 100 a week and not have to do the cooking, cleaning and tour guide work. AND get the bills split between those living in the house and using the utilities.

As Wicklowandy said, not easy money doing all that. And you think its mean to split the enormous cost of gas and electricity for the relativley small some of money received for hosting the student?

I think its a common sense question to ask/fair piece of information to know.

I dont know what you mean by very mean.

Not all hosts, or most hosts, would be like that.

You are talking here about 150 per week for cooking, cleaning, paying all the bills and being a part-time tour guide (with the fuel costs/car insurance/tax that goes with that)

When one could rent a room for 100 a week and not have to do the cooking, cleaning and tour guide work. AND get the bills split between those living in the house and using the utilities.

As Wicklowandy said, not easy money doing all that. And you think its mean to split the enormous cost of gas and electricity for the relativley small some of money received for hosting the student?

I think its a common sense question to ask/fair piece of information to know.

Well it works fine for me and has for a good while, when the heating is on in my house it is for my family and the student so no extra cost there.

They don't use the landline as all have mobiles.

Food wise, with experience and common sense you can do it for a small bit extra, breakfast is cereal and toast and dinner an extra few spuds or portions of pasta doesn't cost much.

There are 2 different types of students under 18 (children) and adults.

The adults come and go as they please, we give them as much info as they need, help them with things but don't bring them anywhere unless they want to come along with us for a spin.

The under 18s (children) we only take for a month in the summer, they live by house rules agreed with their leader.

There is a small packed lunch sandwich, apple, bar. for the 6 school days and on Sunday we will bring them somewhere, (the zoo/shopping centre).
    For this we are paid €750 a head, we normally plan ahead to have 2 double rooms vacant so we can take 4, €3000 for less than a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

It's probably a good thing in ways that schools can be in a bit pickier in these times..

No, the figure includes everything, think I even to include breakfast in my previous post.

Not easy or much money I suppose, but their ye go, and some schools pay less:)

Advertisement