Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician in Oz- advice

Options
  • 09-05-2013 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,so i will be going to Oz soon on a whv

I will be getting my skills asscessed and electrical license sorted out asap but not sure which route to go in regards to what work i should try for when i arrive.Im told it could take 5 months and more to get the license sorted
    Just need some advice on the following if anyone has experience with this could help me out please...

1. Should i do my regional work first to get my second year visa and if so does electrical work count as regional work?(depending on region of course)

2. Does anyone know if Austrailian employers are willing to take on trades assistants while waiting on license?
    Any help greatly appreciated
    Regards road dog:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Electrical work will count towards a 2nd year if it is done in a regional area.

There was loads of work for unlicensed electricians, its a bit quiet in Sydney at the moment no sure about elsewhere.

When you arrive get tools and transport ASAP and you should pick up a job easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 road dog

Thanks for the reply Johnny,very much appreciated
    Just on a side note to your last post could you or anyone else tell me what tools i will require.Will it be just the basic toolbox or are we expected to have our own meters,drills and power tools etc. ?Also if anyone can shed any light(excuse the pun) on what the work is like in general over in Oz,like is it similar to Ireland for a commercial/industrial electrician?
    Any info/advice greatly appreciated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

road dog wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Johnny,very much appreciated
    Just on a side note to your last post could you or anyone else tell me what tools i will require.Will it be just the basic toolbox or are we expected to have our own meters,drills and power tools etc. ?Also if anyone can shed any light(excuse the pun) on what the work is like in general over in Oz,like is it similar to Ireland for a commercial/industrial electrician?
    Any info/advice greatly appreciated:)

Most companies would expect you to have a battery drill and meter along with your basic tools. Alot of the commercial work is a lower standard than Ireland. Heavy industrial work like construction work in the mines is at a similar standard to Ireland. Try to get in contact with jason greene from skills shortage solutions. He's up to date on what you need to do to get an electrical licence. I got mine in 2008 and a lot has changed since then so I'm not sure what you need to do but don't expect to get it within at least 6 months of getting here.

Advertisement