Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Blu Ray sounds the best?

• 09-05-2013 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

About to get a belated Christmas pressie of a new Av Receiver. Can anyone recommend any Blu-rays that'll impress the $hit out of me soundwise? I have a few cd's that I always use for testing stereo equipment but I'd like to see what the amp can do with the surrouind sound and center speaker thrown in.

(mods if there's a more suitable forum, please feel free to move)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your best bet is to chase up reviews of AV Receivers in these websites and check out which discs they used to judge the sound....

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/
    http://www.whathifi.com/reviews/home-cinema/home-cinema-amplifiers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

These 5 will give any system a good workout.

Master and Commander
    The Dark Knight
    Fight Club
    Transformers dark of the moon
    Tron Legacy, superb soundtrack by Daft Punk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Don't forget that if you're renting several discs to give your new system a workout, the sound on DVD will be the same as Blu-Ray so no need to pay extra for the better picture if you're just interested in the audio performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

coylemj wrote: »
    Don't forget that if you're renting several discs to give your new system a workout, the sound on DVD will be the same as Blu-Ray so no need to pay extra for the better picture if you're just interested in the audio performance.

I did not know that! I always try and go for Blu-ray though. Love the picture.

Of course as with all things audio, as soon as you upgrade one bit, you start looking at the other ancient components....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

coylemj wrote: »

No it won't! DVD,s do not carry lossless audio soundtracks like Dolby tru hd or DTS MA audio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

andy1249 wrote: »
    No it won't! DVD,s do not carry lossless audio soundtracks like Dolby tru hd or DTS MA audio.

Thanks for that (I didn't know that either!)

Anyway, so far The Hurt Locker is very impressive. A bit freakily so actually. There's very little soundtrack music but that just emphasizes the strange rustles and clicks. Helicopters coming in from all angles too. Which made me realize Black Hawk Down will have to be re-viewed.

Advertisement