Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat aground

Options
  • 09-05-2013 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Does anyone know the owner of this boat?
    It must have broken free from its moorings last night in the storm.
    No obvious damage visible from about 40 foot away, but she'll be pushed in under the jetty on the incoming tide.
    Name of the boat is Sitara.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

From the Waterford City Council site I found a contact number for a Marina Superintendent. They could probably tell you or help you in some way.

Number listed is: 087-2384944

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

mecco wrote: »
    From the Waterford City Council site I found a contact number for a Marina Superintendent. They could probably tell you or help you in some way.

Number listed is: 087-2384944

Water level rises...boat disappears...

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

you could try NAMA

• Registered Users Posts: 29,157 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If it's not too late try the ISA (sailing.ie), they may have details on a register.

Water level rises...boat disappears...

I'm not sure if that was meant to be directed at me or not.. :)

If it was, yeah I get that. I was just providing the number of the people running the marina itself. They surely can contact whoever owns boats moored there without too much delay.

OP, it might be worth posting in the sailing forum also. It's probably a small enough community and they might have access to a register of owners or some such.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if that was meant to be directed at me or not.. :)

If it was, yeah I get that. I was just providing the number of the people running the marina itself. They surely can contact whoever owns boats moored there without too much delay.

OP, it might be worth posting in the sailing forum also. It's probably a small enough community and they might have access to a register of owners or some such.

Nope, wasn't aimed at you. I work across the road from it and was just pointing out that it's gone now.

Nope, wasn't aimed at you. I work across the road from it and was just pointing out that it's gone now.

Gone as in submerged or rescued? That will be some kick in the stones for someone if its gone under!

Gone as in submerged or rescued? That will be some kick in the stones for someone if its gone under!

well I presumed the water levels just rose and it floated off with the current.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

River Rescue said on their Facebook page that they rescued it

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Glad it was saved.
    I was concerned that it would get caught under the jetty and sunk on the rising tide.
    I reported it to the relevant authorities before I put the post up here.

It looked like a lovely little boat, a fairly recent model too I'd say.
    It has an outboard motor which was tilted up out of harms way, so no prop and shaft underneath to get damaged.

The river rescue facebook page said it was stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

yeah they said gardai are investigating the matter. But if it WAS stolen, then where are the occupants and how did they get out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

yeah they said gardai are investigating the matter. But if it WAS stolen, then where are the occupants and how did they get out?

I bet it was that fukcin' dolphin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

The boat was broken into on the marina, most of its removable navigation equipment was stolen. Fire extinguisher was left off inside, and then the bastards untied the boat and left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What's the story regarding access to marina? Just jump a gate, is it even that hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

AFAIK people pay big money to have their boats there. You'd be far from happy if it was just as easy as hoping a fence, stripping it and letting it off. Very scummy thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

ziedth wrote: »
    AFAIK people pay big money to have their boats there. You'd be far from happy if it was just as easy as hoping a fence, stripping it and letting it off. Very scummy thing to do.
    Not too sure how accessible it is, but you could also argue that people spend big money on house alarms, and still get burgled.
    I think I remember seeing signs saying that there is CCTV on the gate, so hopefully the gardaí can get some info.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I just had a look it ranges between 600 and 1500 per year depending on the size of the boat. I really thought it was quite a bit more then that. Like you said though hopefully they'll have CCTV and catch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

The boat was broken into on the marina, most of its removable navigation equipment was stolen. Fire extinguisher was left off inside, and then the bastards untied the boat and left.

Seriously? For christs sake!!!... There is a breed of scum in this city that need to be sterilized before they can re-spawn mini scumbags...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

I bet it was that fukcin' dolphin.

he probably crashed it on porpoise

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

No need for jokes, it's neither the time nor the plaice :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

No need for jokes, it's neither the time nor the plaice :pac:

Whatever floats your boat I say.

They were probably having a whale of a time.

mike65 wrote: »
    What's the story regarding access to marina? Just jump a gate, is it even that hard?

You'd want to be fairly agile to get around the gate on any of the marinas.

Not sure what happened here but a couple of years ago we had several thefts from boats, mostly small outboard engines and electronic nav gear.
    It was discovered that the thieves were using a small inflatible boat to get on to the marina and board the boats at night.
    My boat was broken into at the time, and ransacked but as it was winter, any good stuff was locked up safely at home and nothing was taken. However my buddy's boat was damaged and had the 5hp outboard for his dinghy taken, worth about €900.00.

One boat was sunk as a result of the scumbags putting the marinas water hose into the boat and turning it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FreeRun

I own this boat ! , firstly thanks to Hifive for contacting the so called marina “authorities” on Thursday morning , I believe you were the first call they got, secondly I want to thank the various members of the Waterford Motorboat and Yacht club and also Waterford Boat Yard who came to help and finally a big thank you to the crew of the Waterford City River Rescue who did a fantastic job to recover my boat in what were one of the worst conditions on the river in a long time (20 knot wind against tide, 30knot gusts), they had a very narrow window to get the boat out from underneath the concrete jetty as the tide rose, if they have been 20 mins later boat could have been destroyed. They are an extremely skilled crew and made it look easy, we need to support this volunteer crew to ensure they can maintain this valuable service in the city.
    So to end all speculation as to what actually happened ...well it is pretty much as CardBordWindow said, group of imbeciles (3 male, 1 female I think) were drinking and messing up at the plaza car park, they then climbed over the gate at about 2:30am , broke the door of my boat open , took the fire extinguishers and let them off on the pontoon and in the boat, took most of the nav equipment then untied the ropes and left it off on the incoming tide. Seemingly they were messing about for ages, they even left and came back again 20mins later , they had a car parked up in the car park.
    What they didn’t realise was that there was someone down on their boat watching them all the time, this person phoned the guards twice while they were there but they never showed up, if they had come down they would have had them caught easily, there is only one exit point from the marina and only one exit from the car park !
    According to the witness (who understandably did not want to approach them on his own) they were in and out past the gate at least 5- 6 times with ease, you do not need to be too agile to do this seemingly, was as if the gate wasn’t even there. They didn’t even have the brain power to figure out that there is a gate release on the inside to open the gate , they were climbing back out also!
    The council haven’t got a clue how to run the marina, I would advise all boat owners to do whatever they can to secure their boats based on the assumption that there is no gate . If you are not from Waterford and just keep your boat here... the I would move it somewhere else, if you are a visitor considering coming to the marina, don’t leave your boat unattended at any time or just go to Kilmore quay instead!. The council don’t care, the guards don’t care.
    So no.. stefan idiot jones... it wasn’t the dolphin ... Dolphins are much more intelligent that that!
    The real sad part of all this is that it is going to take a drowning before something is done here.. think about it... 4 drunk idiots climbing in and out over the high marina gates and messing down on the pontoons on a stormy night with a strong current flowing (mid spring tide), if they had slipped into the water they would have been gone in seconds, if they were lucky river rescue might recover the body in two weeks when it eventually refloated. . . with guards called twice and didn’t even bother to show up .. there are some serious questions to be answered here.

Cheers for that. The gate area clearly needs work with regard to both design and a back up
    security alarm - seems to me a system which requires use of a key code would work better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Thanks for the post FreeRun, will you be following up with the gardaí on why they didn't turn up? I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FreeRun

I certainly will and with the council onsecurity, first and foremost the council need to get their act together onsecurity, we need to keep unauthorised people out, it’s not rocket science, there is only one access point to secure oneach Marina, how hard could it be !? I’dquestion the value of putting in alarms/ cameras etc to alert the ‘authorities’ of intruders,what’s the point if they don’t show up anyway. If I do decide to go back to thecouncil marina I’ll be fitting my own security system to my boat which willalert ME of any intruders.

Well my security system would be quite "expansive" - a lot of sound and light, enough to force the Garda into action as the Tower Hotel is woken up en mass!.

Glad you got it back and thanks for the clarifications.

You should consider the Granny boat club marina behind the Marina Hotel.
    Thats where I've kept my boat for the last few years after wearing my self out banging my head against a brick wall with the clueless council officials at the city marinas (several long stories, security, depth issues etc)
    Security is much better, particularly as most people don't even know its there!
    The guy who runs it, Declan, is a gent, is very accommodating and is very knowledgeable about boats.
    Cost is about the same but you get a designated berth and you also have the added benefit of the use of the slipway up the river at Granny castle, which is a big plus if your boat is trailerable, particularly as the slip in Dunmore is going to be closed for repair for August and September. (Another brilliant council decision:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

Hifive wrote: »
    Glad you got it back and thanks for the clarifications.

You should consider the Granny boat club marina behind the Marina Hotel.
    Thats where I've kept my boat for the last few years after wearing my self out banging my head against a brick wall with the clueless council officials at the city marinas (several long stories, security, depth issues etc)
    Security is much better, particularly as most people don't even know its there!
    The guy who runs it, Declan, is a gent, is very accommodating and is very knowledgeable about boats.
    Cost is about the same but you get a designated berth and you also have the added benefit of the use of the slipway up the river at Granny castle, which is a big plus if your boat is trailerable, particularly as the slip in Dunmore is going to be closed for repair for August and September. (Another brilliant council decision:rolleyes:)

+1 for Declan.
    If you need to get in contact with him just let me know and pm me.

Advertisement