Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat aground

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

The best thing the council should do is sell it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭barraseaclaid

Anyone any ideas about the three idiots rescued on Sunday morning? Did they do something similar and steal a boat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

for those wondering....from wlr
    Three men rescued and subsequently arrested in highly intoxicated state at Kings Channel #Waterford #WLRFMnews .

Three men have been arrested under the public order act and brought to Waterford City Gardai station after they were rescued from the estuary in a highly intoxicated state. Waterford City River Rescue received a call at 9.40 this morning, and were asked to launch the lifeboat to aid three people in the water at Kings Channel.The call was immediately diverted to the Irish Coastguard Control in Dublin who tasked River Rescue, and Rescue 117 helicoptor to the scene.

The emergency services arrived within seven minutes and discovered three men in a 13 foot dinghy, which was taking in water. The men were not wearing life jackets and had no paddles on the boat, and they had consumed high levels of alcohol.

The three men were taken ashore and Gardai subsequently arrested them under the public order act. None of the men required hospital or medical treatment and they are currently in custody at Waterford Garda Station in Ballybricken. Waterford City River Rescue is reminding people to respect the work of the rescue services and to take necessary precautions when attemption to go out on water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

IS THERE NOT A GOOD FEW BOATS DUMPED on the marina either owned by nama or just left to rot? saw city council selling off a few recently...

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Hoffmans wrote: »
    IS THERE NOT A GOOD FEW BOATS DUMPED on the marina either owned by nama or just left to rot? saw city council selling off a few recently...

There's a fair few heaps on the city marinas all right.
    I know the council have some procedure for selling them off if fees haven't been paid for years and/ or there is no communication with the last known owner.

There was a 26 foot Bayliner sports cruiser with a petrol V8 Motor, sold by sealed tender a couple of years ago. You just put in a bid for whatever it was worth to you and wait to hear from the council. It was fairly rough inside and out and I'd love to know what it went for! Had to be very small money though as it would have cost a fair pile to get back to rights, and that's assuming the engine wasn't toast. (a big assumption)
    I personally have bailed out at least three boats on the city marinas over the years that were on the verge of sinking. I never heard, or expected to hear anything from the owners, I just couldn't bear to see a good boat wasted.
    There's none of that carry on on Granny marina though. We attract a better class of boater!!! (this is in jest!)

By the way most boat yards have plenty of "projects" awaiting new enthuastic owners. Some are worthwhile some are not.
    The lads in New Ross yard were commissioned to clear all the sunk wrecks from the grand canal by the inland waterways assoc a couple of years ago and it was amazing to see them arrive in the yard, a shadow of their former selves. Some of them had been under for years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Hifive wrote: »
    The lads in New Ross yard were commissioned to clear all the sunk wrecks from the grand canal by the inland waterways assoc a couple of years ago and it was amazing to see them arrive in the yard, a shadow of their former selves. Some of them had been under for years.

Is there many sunken boats in the suir? I mean, newer ones. Say in the past 20-30 years or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

When the Rice bridge was built, around 1985 or so some wrecks were discovered / moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

He's lucky the thieves weren't more determined/sober. That outboard's worth a fortune.

Advertisement