Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Combo HD box?

• 09-05-2013 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a small combo HD satellite box? I have a wall mounted 32" flat screen in our kitchen that has a couple of inches of space between it and the wall. I would like to find a small box that would fit on the back of the TV and remain out of sight.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thx.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Can't think of a combo. Ferguson Ariva 102 mini is satellite only.

You could probably find room to attach a separate terrestrial decoder e.g. Ariva T65 mini. None of these 'mini' type decoders are Saorview approved.

Presumably the tv isn't Saorview compatible?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mac_daddy

Thanks for the reply Peter. Do you know if one remote can be used for both, and is there potential to have both on the same EPG? Also, both may come with pretty bulky AC adapters, do you know would this be the case?

Thx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

EPGs would be separate, they wouldn't even be on the same AV channel. Don't know about the remotes.

I wouldn't go for this setup myself, I'd find somewhere to stash a 'proper' combi receiver & run a cable from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mac_daddy

Yeah I thought it might be tricky alright.

I have another idea for a home TV setup though.

At the moment I have one Ariva 150 combo in the living room linked to a terrestrial aerial and a satellite dish for UK channels. The cable for this comes down the chimney and through the wall into the TV unit in the living room. All other TVs in the home are linked to the old UPC free cable, so fuzzy pictures throughout.

My home actually has all TV sockets in all rooms linked to a central box in the utility room. What I am thinking I might be able to do is to move my combo box to this utility room and purchase and addition combo 150 box. I would then permanently have the living room TV connected to one box only, but have the kitchen and bedrooms connected to the other box with a splitter, thus enabling the kitchen and bedrooms to share a box. I would also use remote extenders to change the remotes from IR to RF so they can be used in any room to change the boxes in the utility room.

Any thoughts or concerns about this type of setup?

Thx

Advertisement