Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend is upgrading, giving me her old kindle. How can she transfer her books?

Options
  • 09-05-2013 11:53am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭

So my friend has a regular kindle, she's going to buy the new "paperwhite" version.

She's terrified that she'll lose all her books when she un-registers her old kindle and gives it to me. She has about 50 books that she got off amazon.

How can she put all her books on the new kindle and give me the old one after clearing all the data?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

So my friend has a regular kindle, she's going to buy the new "paperwhite" version.

She's terrified that she'll lose all her books when she un-registers her old kindle and gives it to me. She has about 50 books that she got off amazon.

How can she put all her books on the new kindle and give me the old one after clearing all the data?

She doesn't have to. When she gets her new kindle it will ask her does she have an existing account, once she signs in with it, it will automatically download all her books to her new kindle. My mother thought this was the best thing since sliced bread her first kindle when we showed her that functionality.

Edit: You would only have to manually backup your kindle if you have side-loaded apps or DRM free content onto the kindle.

Another prudent measure is to "liberate" the books, in case she decides to leave Amazon's golden cage. The books have to be de-DRMed in case she ever wants to read them on another device.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

the books are registered to her kindle account not the kindle itself.

all she has to do is log into her kindle account on the new kindle and redownload all the books she bought

the books are registered to her kindle account not the kindle itself.

all she has to do is log into her kindle account on the new kindle and redownload all the books she bought

This is still no reason, not to backup your books locally. Amazon has a history of deleting accounts and wiping entire libraries from customers' Kindles as they see fit. If you fall victim to their policy, you can kiss your books good-bye unless you have a backup.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Encrustment

I read somewhere that books with DRM are licensed for a single kindle only. Was i dreaming or is that true?!

Also what happens to the kindle she gives me? Is it easy to factory reset or whatever?

This optiion is in the Settings menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I read somewhere that books with DRM are licensed for a single kindle only. Was i dreaming or is that true?!

Also what happens to the kindle she gives me? Is it easy to factory reset or whatever?

No the books can generally go on up to 6 Kindles once registered to the same account.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭davmigil

Check out Calibre

And this article on plug-ins for above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭021CRETE01

No the books can generally go on up to 6 Kindles once registered to the same account.
    Hi Cherry Cola,
    Situation is; my wife has a kindle paperwhite which she will be taking on hols shortly, my aunt who will also be on hols with us has a kindle paperwhite. Both are registered with Amazon (different account names obviously).Both have similar taste in books. Question is; is it possible to exchange books between kindles rather than having to each purchase the same books?
    Appreciate any help.
    Thanks,
    021CRETE01

• Advertisement
Advertisement