Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best cheese for burgers

Options
  • 09-05-2013 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

I've used cheesy singles, various cheddars, gouda (smoked and unsmoked), blue, even mozzarella which all great in their own right but I've never found a really good american-style melting cheese.

I've read great things about the American burger-joints "5 guys" and "in-n-out" and they have burgers like this: http://i.imgur.com/lxkSZ.jpg and I want to make similar.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

God that picture looks amazing.

I have an unhealthy obsession with double cheeseburgers from McDonalds because I love the flavour of the cheese they use, but I've also been unable to replicate it. To be fair, it probably doesn't contain any actual cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭GoodBridge

Yeah, me too. Double cheeseburgers all the way.

I actually worked in McDonalds when I was in school and I remember the cheese was surprisingly robust. It looked more like the packaged slices of Dubliner than a cheesy single which might be more what you'd expect. Next time you're in, ask for a cold slice so you can cut it up for your toddler or something like that and you'll see (if I remember correctly, that used to happen every now and then the customer would be given it foc or charged 20c or so).

Anyway... yeah, I'm on a mission to create these. I'm following this: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/07/in-n-outs-double-double-animal-style-burger-recipe.html but, alas, can't find "deli-cut American Cheese".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The irish mcdonalds used to have the ingredients listed. Can't see it now. I found them to be very open about what was in their food.

This is the US one, the regular burgers use the first cheese listed here

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/ingredientslist.pdf
    PASTEURIZED PROCESS AMERICAN CHEESE:
    Milk, Cream, Water, Cheese Culture, Sodium Citrate, Contains 2% or Less of: Salt, Citric Acid, Sodium Phosphate, Sorbic Acid (Preservative), Lactic Acid, Acetic
    Acid, Enzymes, Sodium Pyrophosphate, Natural Flavor (Dairy Source), Color Added, Soy Lecithin (Added for Slice Separation)

Natural Swiss Cheese:
    Swiss cheese (pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes), powdered cellulose and potato starch (prevent caking), natamycin (natural mold inhibitor).
    CONTAINS: MILK

PASTEURIZED PROCESS WHITE CHEDDAR CHEESE:
    Milk, Water, Cheese Culture, Cream, Sodium Citrate, Contains 2% or less of: Salt, Citric Acid, Sorbic Acid (Preservative), May Contain One or More of: Sodium
    Phosphate, Sodium Pyrophosphate, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Enzymes, Acetic Acid, Soy Lecithin (Added for Slice Separation).
    Its not like you are going to make it, but can compare the ingredients to supermarket brands. They are listed in order of greatest first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheeseburger
    In fast food restaurants, the cheese used is typically processed cheese, but there are variations, such as cheddar, Swiss cheese, mozzarella, blue cheese and pepper jack.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

What you need is sodium citrate, wheatbeer, and the cheese you'd like to turn into the melting cheese slice. I've been hanging to try the recipe in modernist cuisine at home for the l ast year, but keep forgetting to look for sodium citrate when im in town (i'd imagine stock or the like should have it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,394 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

GoodBridge wrote: »
    I've read great things about the American burger-joints "5 guys" and "in-n-out" and they have burgers like this: http://i.imgur.com/lxkSZ.jpg and I want to make similar.

In-N-Out (I think thats the place in the pic) uses american cheese.
    Which is closest easi-singles really. I think biggest difference is colour. Probably thicker too.

My choice for burgers is a slice each of good cheddar (flavour) and processsed cheese (melt)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Mostly it's not about the cheese used, it's the technique in cooking to melt it. Obviously there are some cheeses that just don't want to melt, like brie.

Here's what to do:

Cook your burger normally until it's just about done
    Have your selected cheese sliced and ready to go
    While the burger is still on the pan at reasonably high heat, put the cheese on top
    Add a small amount of water to the pan, and quickly put a lid on the pan for a minute. The steam created melts the cheese.
    Enjoy your lovely melty cheesy burger

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I've used cheesy singles, various cheddars, gouda (smoked and unsmoked), blue, even mozzarella which all great in their own right but I've never found a really good american-style melting cheese. ...
    Does anyone have any recommendations?
    Buy the cheapest plasticky easi-singles type cheese you can find and slap 2 of them on each burger patty.

The burger itself should be loaded with bacon-fat and preservatives (for flavour) and cereal / breadcrumbs (for binding). It should also have high levels of growth hormone and anti-biotics. There you have it folks, a jen-yew-wine Amurrhican burger.

Here's what to do:

Cook your burger normally until it's just about done
    Have your selected cheese sliced and ready to go
    While the burger is still on the pan at reasonably high heat, put the cheese on top
    Add a small amount of water to the pan, and quickly put a lid on the pan for a minute. The steam created melts the cheese.
    Enjoy your lovely melty cheesy burger

Sounds good but I think it's a little more complex than it needs to be. Do what the experts who make millions a day do! i.e.:

Have your bun toasted and dressed and sitting on a square of baking paper (cheese n all). When burger is ready, lift it straight onto bun. Wrap it up in the greaseproof paper and leave in a warm place. C'est ça.

The meat rests, the cheese melts, the bun steams, the flavours mingle, the deliciousness intensifies, the stars align...so on and so forth. It also looks kinda good. I think people like unwrapping it on the plate and the lovely aromas that arise when it's opened.

The less labour and additional resting time buys you a bit of time too so means you can do a small gang of burgers and have all served at the same time.

Tree wrote: »
    What you need is sodium citrate, wheatbeer, and the cheese you'd like to turn into the melting cheese slice. I've been hanging to try the recipe in modernist cuisine at home for the l ast year, but keep forgetting to look for sodium citrate when im in town (i'd imagine stock or the like should have it).

Interesting. I don't have the Modernist Cuisine -nor likely to ever have it- but same recipe seems to be here: http://www.chow.com/recipes/30493-perfectly-melting-cheese. Looks damn good. I've no sodium nitrate to hand though. There is a recipe even for that here but I don't think it's worth ending up on a govt. watch list over a cheeseburger obsession.

I think I'll try a Gruyère + cheesy single combo next and see how it goes.

• Advertisement

mathepac wrote: »
    Buy the cheapest plasticky easi-singles type cheese you can find and slap 2 of them on each burger patty.

The burger itself should be loaded with bacon-fat and preservatives (for flavour) and cereal / breadcrumbs (for binding). It should also have high levels of growth hormone and anti-biotics. There you have it folks, a jen-yew-wine Amurrhican burger.

We'll have none of that, thank you very much. There's none in any of the best burgers I've ever had. Also, I've seen Heston Blumenthal do burgers and he just uses salt and puts the meat through a mincer. As it comes out he tries to leave the strands intact and wraps them into a sort of sausage with cling film. He slices this then. The idea being that the meat doesn't get all compressed etc and bites away easily. Actually, here's the recipe: http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/heston-blumenthal/beef-burgers-recipe. Can probably catch the vid of it 4OD.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Monterey Jack is really good on a burger but I've found it hard to find.

In-n-our burger = nomnomnomnom. Love their burgers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

We'll have none of that, thank you very much. There's none in any of the best burgers I've ever had. Also, I've seen Heston Blumenthal do burgers and he just uses salt and puts the meat through a mincer. As it comes out he tries to leave the strands intact and wraps them into a sort of sausage with cling film. He slices this then. The idea being that the meat doesn't get all compressed etc and bites away easily. Actually, here's the recipe: http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/heston-blumenthal/beef-burgers-recipe. Can probably catch the vid of it 4OD.

I think you may have missed his point.

I agree. I've tried egg and breadcrumbs and both were yack.

Press and shape the burger gently together and it will stay together, no need for binding imo

vicwatson wrote: »
    I agree. I've tried egg and breadcrumbs and both were yack.

Press and shape the burger gently together and it will stay together, no need for binding imo

He was being sarcastic!

Honey-ec wrote: »

I don't think the poster has. Nearly every recipe you see has egg or breadcrumbs mentioned in it for binding the meat. I think them both unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Right, pay attention.

500g beef mince - NOT steak mince, it's too lean.
    1 small red chilli, de-seeded, finely chopped.
    1 small onion, finely chopped.
    1 clove garlic, finely chopped.
    1 tbsp steak seasoning, or if you can fine the Fiddes Payne barbecue spices use that.

Sweat the onion and garlic until soft, don't really want it to colour.
    Mix the cooked onion/garlic with the minced beef and mix in the chilli and steak seasoning.
    Form your mixture into pattie - it will stick together easy enough. If you need to keep them for a while before cooking put the individual burgers between sandwich bags or the like to stop them sticking together.
    Next, buy a decent barbecue... ;)
    Patties on the barbecue - lid on, cook for 4 mins, then turn and cook for 5 mins, turn again and put your cheese (emmental is great for the melty american look) on the patties, lid back on and cook for 1 or 2 mins.
    Done

Now I'm hungry

I don't think so (though I may have). I know he was taking the mick a bit with the typical over-processed, thisiswhyyourefat.com burgers - that's grand. Quite funny actually. I was only referring to the binders he mentioned and, seeing as we're on the topic of burgers I thought I'd mention why it's unnecessary and Heston's fantastic idea.

Anyway, sorry if any offence was caused there, mathepac. None intended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

I don't think the poster has. Nearly every recipe you see has egg or breadcrumbs mentioned in it for binding the meat. I think them both unnecessary.
    I don't think so (though I may have).

Mmm hmm, so he must have been serious about the bacon fat, preservatives, growth hormones and antibiotics too?

The entire post was a sarcastic pop at the quality of US burger-chain burgers.

• Advertisement

Last burgers I made had rashers in them. I have a good scissors and cut the rashers really finely so they were like mince and mixed 1/3 rasher mince with 2/3 high fat beef mince. No need for more salt as the rashers have enough.

In the UK I got a cheese burger in a chipper and was pissed off to find they left off the cheese, then I bit into it and found the cheese was IN the burger pattie, perfectly melted.

JuicyLucy_web2.jpgjuicylucyfight.jpg

I have done this myself, I pressed out mince really thinly on tinfoil to make 2 patties, then put a slice of cheese on one and sandwiched them both together. Then I put the tinfoil directly on the pan, so it cooks away on the tinfoil and binds itself so it is easy to flip.

I also use this method on BBQs to make thin fast cooking patties which fill those large superbundy buns you get nowadays. Nothing worse than a giant meatball of a pattie rolling around on a dinner plate size bun. You put the tinfoil on the BBQ, when it comes to flip it put the spatula thing under the tinfoil and flip, now leave hte tinfoil on a short while, it sort of steams the buger, and then slowly peel it off.

Instead of "sloppy joes" (loose mince, onions, tomato sauce in a burger bun), I make "sloppy dogs" in hot dog buns, which are not sloppy at all as the meat doesn't fall out everywhere, like this pic but no hotdog.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhh0CRSOZouflgWf3095wuH1K4J-FUnHlaOkXrwbbxSgiHaJzM
    That pic is like abras taco dogs

rubadub wrote: »
    In the UK I got a cheese burger in a chipper and was pissed off to find they left off the cheese, then I bit into it and found the cheese was IN the burger pattie, perfectly melted.

Also known as a "Joosy Loosey". I make them every so often but you need a really sharp cheese in order to get any real kind of cheesy hit, I find. I prefer a traditional cheese-on-top burger, you get a better cheese-to-meat ratio :)

Anyway, the closest thing I've ever found to American Cheese (which I don't actually like as there's virtually no taste at all off it) is a 20-pack of processed cheese slices in Aldi. They come in a blue & white plastic resealable pack and are both thicker and firmer than cheese singles. Not quite sure why people are so keen to top their burgers with plasticky, tasteless muck, but clearly a lot are, and that stuff is probably your best bet.

I prefer a traditional cheese-on-top burger, you get a better cheese-to-meat ratio :)
    Yes, the cheese can ooze out onto the pan if you put too much in. Also it has to be more towards the centre.

My next plan was to mix grated cheese in with the beef and bake the burger. So it is spread evenly throughout and exposed bits will bake and get that nice toasted cheese taste like on pizza. Probably can be a bit lower % fat for this.

rubadub wrote: »
    My next plan was to mix grated cheese in with the beef and bake the burger. So it is spread evenly throughout and exposed bits will bake and get that nice toasted cheese taste like on pizza. Probably can be a bit lower % fat for this.

I do this with parmesan in meatloaf. It definitely adds to the overall flavour but you won't get any actual taste of cheese off it doing it that way.

Actually, Aldi do Irish Angus burgers with Dubliner cheese mixed in. They're very tasty burgers, but definitely not cheesy.

Mmm hmm, so he must have been serious about the bacon fat, preservatives, growth hormones and antibiotics too?

The entire post was a sarcastic pop at the quality of US burger-chain burgers.
    I already said I got the joke. It was a good un but... it wasn't so subtle or sophisticated that it needed identification and explaining.

I just wanted to talk about binding agents. Onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭fondue

Monterey Jack is really good on a burger but I've found it hard to find.

In-n-our burger = nomnomnomnom. Love their burgers

Does anyone know where you would get Monterey Jack? I've looked for it in a good few places but I have yet to find it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

Cheddar

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

A popular thing in many of the gourmet burger gaffs over here is to use a thick slab of smoked applewood cheese. It's actually fantastic.

Found an interesting article here incase anyones interested: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/09/the-burger-lab-how-to-make-super-melty-cheese-slices-like-american.html

Still a fair bit of trouble to go to but... at least it's attainable. I'll give it a lash and report back for posterity.

• Advertisement

fondue wrote: »
    Does anyone know where you would get Monterey Jack? I've looked for it in a good few places but I have yet to find it.

I'd seen it in Superquinn before but not all stores seem to stock it.

Advertisement