Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can Anyone tell me what Albufeira is like for a weeks holiday for a couple

• 09-05-2013 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi Everyone

Can anyone tell me what Albufeira would be like for a holiday for a couple.

Thinking of going on holidays for a week around the 15th September 2013

Thanks for your help:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

Hi bluesmurf.i have been to Albufeira twice about 2 years ago. Its a great little spot so it is. I am in my mid 20's and there was defiantly plenty of things to keep you entertained. We stayed in the old town when we were there. IMO its way nicer than the new town. New town is basically just a strip full of tacky bars. The old town is a bit more rustic in places but still has a great level of nightlife.

Sept should be a great time to visit. It will still be lovely and warm and maybe not as crowded as July and August. I would love to go back there again at some stage. If you need to know anything else please do ask!
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bluesmurf

Hi amy85,

thank you so much for getting back to me, sorry if this seems like a stupid Question what is "IMO" I have never been to Albuferia but Have stayed in Pria de Rocha. . .

We are thinking of staying at the 4 Star Aqua Pedra dos Bicos Hotel have you heard of this hotel, I think its located about 300 Meters from the strip.

We are booking this for our honeymoon and I want to find somewhere special.

Thanks for your advice.

Sorry IMO is short for 'in my opinion'!I don't think i have heard of that hotel to be honest, but there is sooo many places to stay over there. I stayed in The Almar Apartments.(You should look them up on Trip Advisor) They are set up on a bit of a hill overlooking the old town and the beach. The views were fab so they were. It is not a big complex so doesnt feel that crowded. There is a lovely big pool and nice garden area off it. The apartments themselves were very big,basic enough but very clean. It is only less than 5 minute walk down into the old town then.

I personally didn't like the new town (Oura) at all. I went over there once during the day, and literally took one walk up and down the strip and left again. A lot of louts with loads of tattoo's and beer bellies watching premiership football during the day! haha. I would hate to think of what its like once darkness falls. Ive heard it gets pretty crazy over there. If i was you, i would seriously consider staying nearer the Old Town.

The Old Town has just a bit more character and nice cobbled streets and lovely buildings. It has a little strip running through it called Bar Street where all the madness happens, then all the little side streets off it are a bit quieter and nice little bars and restaurants.

Also there is a hotel called The Rocamar. Apparently its meant to have fab views over the ocean. Its few mins walk from the old town again. Just if you were looking for somewhere a bit more fancy. I have heard mixed reviews about it though, rude staff and that. But that might have changed since!

I actually just looked up that Hotel that you mentioned there. Its looks lovely so it does. Really modern! Definitely probably more of a honeymoon type place than the place i stayed in,however lovely i thought it was. haha!

Hi Amy85 thank you for much for your lovely message, i will def have a look and chat to my future hubby to be lol :)

Thou I think you are right the hotel looks fab so I might take the gamble with the strip lol lol

Ya only have your honeymoon once :)

• Advertisement

exactly and taxis are qite cheap so you could easily get one in to the old town some nights if you wanted. Defo go for a walk about in old town anyways at some stage!

Not sure if ye are planning on doing any day trips or anything, but if ye do, one thing that i would highly recommend is 'Quad Ventura'. Again have a look on Trip Advisor. I did it twice over there, and it was easily the most enjoyable activity i have done on a holiday. The couple who run it are so lovely, they take you out in the countryside on quads and you see some amazing scenery and little villages. We did a full day trip and it was so worth it. cant recommend it highly enough. one thing to note! Do it towards the end of the holiday and wear something you dont mind getting covered in dust!! haha

Hope you have an amazing wedding and honeymoon, i am so jealous. i would love to be going back there again now! :( Again, if you need any more info, do not hesitate to ask me! :)

Amy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

amy85 wrote: »

The Old Town has just a bit more character and nice cobbled streets and lovely buildings. It has a little strip running through it called Bar Street where all the madness happens, then all the little side streets off it are a bit quieter and nice little bars and restaurants.

Seconded, the old town is gorgeous, I did like exploring the little side streets and cobbled alleyways.

I think "Vegas Bar" is in Bar Street, when we visited Albufeira in October 2010 we lived there, great friendly bar, good for people watching and live music every night - not always cheesy stuff either. No escape from tv screens with footy on them, but they don't interfere with the music so we got over that. There was a good mix of ages there too, from 20s up to retired people. I've no connection with the place, I just had a great time there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ✭✭kevmcdonnell

Hi Bluesmurf,

congrats on the impending nuptuals. Me and the now wife actually went to albufeira on our cheap and cheerful honeymoon last year having been there the year before aswell. We stayed in the topazio hotel in the new town, lovely hotel apratment complex. There is a nightclub opposite it but in septemeber this wont be an issue and when you are at the back of the complex you do not hear it and there is also a quiter beach down the road from it which the locals tend to use.

For a romantic dinner go to dom carlos in the old town, it is number one on tripadvisor restaurants there for a reason, delicious food and lovely owners. On the strip in the new town we used to go to a bar called lebertos just off the strip. It seems to cater for the more chilled out grown up crowd with the best coacktails around. They top the mojitos off with chanpagne!

If its just sun, relaxation and spending time together i would recommend it. any questions feel free to send pm

Kev

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Seconded, the old town is gorgeous, I did like exploring the little side streets and cobbled alleyways.

I think "Vegas Bar" is in Bar Street, when we visited Albufeira in October 2010 we lived there, great friendly bar, good for people watching and live music every night - not always cheesy stuff either. No escape from tv screens with footy on them, but they don't interfere with the music so we got over that. There was a good mix of ages there too, from 20s up to retired people. I've no connection with the place, I just had a great time there! :)

Hi Aglomerado Thank you so much for your message, That Vegas Bar sounds just what we like and been able to watch the football will be very important as its the start of the season. . . . we are thinking of staying in the hotel aqua pedra dos bicos which is near the "The New Strip" and Approx 3km from the Old Town near a beech Oria beech. . . if you have any suggestions on this Id be delighted

Thanks again

Hi Bluesmurf,

congrats on the impending nuptuals. Me and the now wife actually went to albufeira on our cheap and cheerful honeymoon last year having been there the year before aswell. We stayed in the topazio hotel in the new town, lovely hotel apratment complex. There is a nightclub opposite it but in septemeber this wont be an issue and when you are at the back of the complex you do not hear it and there is also a quiter beach down the road from it which the locals tend to use.

For a romantic dinner go to dom carlos in the old town, it is number one on tripadvisor restaurants there for a reason, delicious food and lovely owners. On the strip in the new town we used to go to a bar called lebertos just off the strip. It seems to cater for the more chilled out grown up crowd with the best coacktails around. They top the mojitos off with chanpagne!

If its just sun, relaxation and spending time together i would recommend it. any questions feel free to send pm

Kev

Hi Kev, Congrats to you too, Hope Marriage Life Suits you both, We are thinking the same too, just want a relaxing honeymoon and not been stuck on a plan for hours :) Thank you so much for your message, we are thinking of staying in the hotel aqua pedra dos bicos which is near the "The New Strip" and Approx 3km from the Old Town near Oria beech. . .

Ill def keep an eye out for that bar Im fairly partial to Mojitos and with Champs is a "bonus" yumie. . . How did ya find the New Town, Ive read mixed reviews on trip adviser. . . I hope to visit Old Town during your holiday. . .

Thanks a million

• Advertisement

amy85 wrote: »
    exactly and taxis are qite cheap so you could easily get one in to the old town some nights if you wanted. Defo go for a walk about in old town anyways at some stage!

Not sure if ye are planning on doing any day trips or anything, but if ye do, one thing that i would highly recommend is 'Quad Ventura'. Again have a look on Trip Advisor. I did it twice over there, and it was easily the most enjoyable activity i have done on a holiday. The couple who run it are so lovely, they take you out in the countryside on quads and you see some amazing scenery and little villages. We did a full day trip and it was so worth it. cant recommend it highly enough. one thing to note! Do it towards the end of the holiday and wear something you dont mind getting covered in dust!! haha

Hope you have an amazing wedding and honeymoon, i am so jealous. i would love to be going back there again now! :( Again, if you need any more info, do not hesitate to ask me! :)

Amy

Hey Amy

Thanks a million for all your advice. . . Its great, Id rather have an idea of a place before I book it, My Lovely Hubby to be normally wings it lol

but for a honeymoon Id rather be alittle of ground work done :pac:

The Quads Sound Savage, We are both bikers, So that would suit us to the ground. . . Ill def be giving that a try. . But it will be 2 quads instead of one lol

Thanks again :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

bluesmurf wrote: »
    Hi Aglomerado Thank you so much for your message, That Vegas Bar sounds just what we like and been able to watch the football will be very important as its the start of the season. . . . we are thinking of staying in the hotel aqua pedra dos bicos which is near the "The New Strip" and Approx 3km from the Old Town near a beech Oria beech. . . if you have any suggestions on this Id be delighted

Thanks again

Hi Bluesmurf, Not familiar with this hotel at all I'm afraid, as we stayed in the old town, adjacent to the "beach tunnel", but I wish you all the best for your honeymoon and I'm sure you'll have a lovely time, it's a great destination.

(Further tips: If you are hiring a car, there are nice places to go for a day such as Ferraguado - a nice fishing village across the bay from Praia da Rocha, perfect if you like to eat very fresh fish, sometimes bands play in the square there, also Sagres and Cape St Vincent right out at the south-western tip, a lovely place to watch the sun set with a beer in your hand!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

is the strip in Montechoro? Myself and my girlfirend are thinking of staying a week in september in Balaia Mar Hotel Albufeira. We are aged 32 and 28. We want a nice safe place to stay, lively ish, not full of young drunk people, but live music,some clubs option if we want to venture a night or two to them.

Any tips or advice anyone? Is the old town near montochoro?

Advertisement