Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood Donations

Options
  • 09-05-2013 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Irish Blood Transfusion service is in Hartstown Community school between 5.00 and 8.30.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ah crap... I looked on the website recently and didn't see any clinics in the area for at least the next four months so went ahead and got a new tattoo last week... Exempt for another 4 months now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Forgive my ignorance but do you get checked for being healthy/blood diseases before you give blood or do you just go and give it?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You fill out a questionnaire and as long as you're able to tick all the right boxes you just donate on the spot.

Zaph wrote: »
    You fill out a questionnaire and as long as you're able to tick all the right boxes you just donate on the spot.

They take extra vials to have tested separately to make sure your blood is safe to give to another person.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

True, forgot about that. Unfortunately because of medication I have to take I'm not able to give blood any more. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Thanks for that I'll donate next time so

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that I'll donate next time so

Have a look through this leaflet, it gives you all the info -http://giveblood.ie/Become_a_Donor/Information_Leaflet/Blood_Donation_Information_Leaflet.pdf

Here's the questionnaire for first time donors - http://giveblood.ie/Become_a_Donor/BT1_Sample_Copy_Ver_19_Mar_12.pdf

And you'll also be given the chance to talk to a nurse, in confidence, if you have any concerns.

January wrote: »
    Have a look through this leaflet, it gives you all the info -http://giveblood.ie/Become_a_Donor/Information_Leaflet/Blood_Donation_Information_Leaflet.pdf

Here's the questionnaire for first time donors - http://giveblood.ie/Become_a_Donor/BT1_Sample_Copy_Ver_19_Mar_12.pdf

And you'll also be given the chance to talk to a nurse, in confidence, if you have any concerns.
    I went up tonight to donate but wasn't allowed because I have to sit exams within the next four weeks.

Never heard of it before, found it rather strange.

Anyone else ever hear about it? I thought it might have something to do with stress?

I went up tonight to donate but wasn't allowed because I have to sit exams within the next four weeks.

Never heard of it before, found it rather strange.

Anyone else ever hear about it? I thought it might have something to do with stress?

Was it your first time? If it was they were probably concerned that you could become ill after you donate and that would set your exams back. I've personally never heard of it before either.

Was it your first time? If it was they were probably concerned that you could become ill after you donate and that would set your exams back. I've personally never heard of it before either.
    Nope, not first time. I donated back in Janurary this year in Coolmine.

She didn't even ask if I had donated before, just said anyone doing exams in the next four weeks, I said yep, she said sorry you cant donate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance but do you get checked for being healthy/blood diseases before you give blood or do you just go and give it?

They check sugar/iron/water/cell counts.
    They take extra vials to have tested separately to make sure your blood is safe to give to another person.

You can't do general tests and get a read out of everything that stands out as a concern. Unsure what they check for with'em, but they'd have to do it for specific indicators relating to whatever infect/virus/bacteria/other science mumbo jumbo that's over my head :o They'll probably look for seasonal flus/colds and Hep at the least I recon.
    Nope, not first time. I donated back in Janurary this year in Coolmine.

She didn't even ask if I had donated before, just said anyone doing exams in the next four weeks, I said yep, she said sorry you cant donate.

Could be a potential stress thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I've donated blood twice now in D'Olier Street and I'd urge anyone eligible to give it a try - there's a clinic in Lucan the week after next or the D'Olier Street one is open five days a week. Completely painless process and the last time, I was in and out within an hour.

They also give you chocolate and fizzy drinks at the end ;)

In terms of testing, I think they test for HIV and Hepatitis. They also do an on the spot test to check your iron levels.

Advertisement