Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nook Simple Touch tweeks?

• 09-05-2013 1:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Right lads, I'm probably going to end up just accepting the inevitable and rooting the thing fairly soon but for now I am just happy with the standard nook interface.

The one thing annoying me though is the text that appears at the bottom on the screen while in sleep mode (screensaver mode).

It's just one line of text that says "Press the n button below to wake up your NOOK".

Is there any way I can get rid of this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭coffee to go

That's an easy fix as far as I can make out, no rooting required - I'm going to do this to my nook later today, so will update if it works. The 'wake up' text appears to simply be part of the stock screensaver image, so by setting up a new screensaver with your own images, you can get rid of it:

http://www.nook-look.com/ seems to have a good selection of pre-formatted images for this very job.

I plan to use the Far Side collection.

Hope that helps!

Nope. Doesn't work. Above clip is from older firmware. Seems you need to root and make changes via Touch Mod Manager to get rid of it. Maybe in the June firmware update they'll fix it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

So I've rooted mine and installed NTGAppsattack. So far I've installed SearchMarket to search anroid apps and dropbox. I installed facebook while installing Appsattack but it's pretty poor on the Nook I find.

So what else have people tweeked or installed to get the most out of their Nook?

I downloaded a PDF to it but couldn't adjust text size so was unreadable. Anyone know a way around this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

NothingMan wrote: »
    So I've rooted mine and installed NTGAppsattack. So far I've installed SearchMarket to search anroid apps and dropbox. I installed facebook while installing Appsattack but it's pretty poor on the Nook I find.

So what else have people tweeked or installed to get the most out of their Nook?

I downloaded a PDF to it but couldn't adjust text size so was unreadable. Anyone know a way around this?

You could try running it through Calibre and converting it to an epub but pdfs are a bit tempremental on ereaders in general.

I would recommend that everyone with an ereader checks out Calibre. It's a great ebook manager and converter and it can do a lot more as well.

Nook simple touch to get an interesting update on June 1. Details here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

update didnt happen for me,anybody got any news?

As discussed on the BA thread, here's the batch of Far Side cartoons for use as Simple Touch screensavers. They're originally from nook-look.com, but I've re-sized the canvas to make room for the 'wake up' message at the bottom. This way, the gag text at the bottom of many of them isn't obscured. (The original uploads were by 'danNYtrack' at nook-look.com, so most of the credit must go to him.)

Just drop the contents of the zip file into a new 'Far Side' folder inside the 'Screensaver' folder of your nook. Then pick 'Far Side' as your screensaver under settings. You should get a new cartoon every time you put your nook to sleep.

EDIT: I've taken down the public link due to boards rules concerns raised by Phibsboro. I suppose folks can PM me instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

As discussed on the BA thread, here's the batch of Far Side cartoons for use as Simple Touch screensavers. They're originally from nook-look.com, but I've re-sized the canvas to make room for the 'wake up' message at the bottom. This way, the gag text at the bottom of many of them isn't obscured. (The original uploads were by 'danNYtrack' at nook-look.com, so most of the credit must go to him.)

Just drop the contents of the zip file into a new 'Far Side' folder inside the 'Screensaver' folder of your nook. Then pick 'Far Side' as your screensaver under settings. You should get a new cartoon every time you put your nook to sleep.

Hope it works ok for everyone!

Link: <snipity snip snip>

A little note from Gary Larson, the guy who created the Far Side cartoons...

http://www.creators.com/a-note-from-gary-larson.html

Also, this is absolutely against boards rules...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭fuse

You could try running it through Calibre and converting it to an epub but pdfs are a bit tempremental on ereaders in general.

Hey,
    Just thinking about getting one of these. But main use would be to read PDFs, some of which are just scans of printouts & books. Do you think I'd have a problem reading via the nook?
    Or would calibre be able to handle them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

PDFs are a bit of a pain, it's an awkward format to work with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Brian wrote: »
    PDFs are a bit of a pain, it's an awkward format to work with.

Yeh, I've a book on my laptop in PDF format but it wont transfer over to my nook, anyone got any tips for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

You can try to convert it to ePub using Calibre but the spacing will probably be messed up unless you do a few test converts while tweaking the "line unwrap" value in Heuristic processing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Has anyone managed to get the Kindle app working on their Nook? I've rooted it and downloaded the install file but when I run it I get an error about a problem parsing the file. I've tried a few versions of the install package and had the same problem.

Advertisement