Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No acceptance - Really need advice!!

Options
  • 09-05-2013 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi All,

So, unfortunately, like many, I did not get a place in Uni for Psychology. Due to a mixture of just missing a decent MSAP score and no work experience etc behind me. Other courses have not come back yet but im sure thats because they were not my first choices. (if I remember correctly, DCU will not consider anyone after 3rd place?)

So, I was advised in order to have a good shot nxt year, I need to take a FETAC level 7 course in that field, this year. It has been quite a while since college so I am so out of the loop. I have reseached varous courses but other than one or two uber expencive courses, I can only find level 5 and 6, (part time)
    Will level 5 & 6 stand to me or am I wasting my time on those courses?

Also, I am hoping to get some decent work experience under my belt and I am applying to various charitable organisations. Unfortunately, they are not beginning their training for volenteers until this Sept (due to summer vacation time) or Jan 2014. As this is when courses begin, some of the organisations say that studing and volenteering do not mix well. Also, I have been advised that some uni's do not like certain work experience/training for their pupils...... but I have no idea which?

In a nutsell, I want desperately to be accepted nxt year and have no idea what is the best way to give myself the best start. I am on a tight budget, so Open universities, DBS etc are not an option at the moment. So, if anyone can advise on courses/ relevant levels & work experience/ I will be truly thankful.

:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Korasa

Well, the CAO Change of Mind is currently available, perhaps it might be worth your while, since you haven't been accepted anyways to look into other courses that take your interest. For example Arts in many colleges do have Psychology modules. You might be able to pursue that as an option. Not sure if you can transfer from Arts to Psychology down the line but might be worth a look. Not sure if changing your mind now would make any difference but it's another potential avenue to explore.

This may not be at all what you're looking for but thought I would put it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SpongeBob7658

CAO Change of Mind???? what??? had no idea i could change my mind!! hope im not to late, thanks so much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You can add in new courses to your existing choices and remove others as long as those new courses aren't restricted. The colleges will tell you if they are. Change of Mind opened on the 5th of May I think and its free till 1st July.

wow, thats fantastic! But here is a question, if originally DCU was my 3rd, can i move it to 1st position? or is it too late to be considered by them since i didnt have them as my 1st???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You can rearrange your order of preference as often as you like between now and July 1st so if you want to move DCU to number 1 then fire away. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

A level 7 course is an ordinary degree. Who told you that you required that level of academic study?

Did you ask for feedback from each university you applied to? Take on board what they say and reply to them if you need to clarify information.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

I don't think there's such a thing as FETAC level 7? It goes up to 6 as far as I know. A level 7 is an ordinary degree, maybe they mean a level 5 or 6?

Hi Larianne, Muir,

Thanks for your posts!! Yes, I was under the impression FETAC only went up to 6. Perhaps my friend does not have the correct info.

Although, FETAC 5 & 6 are only coming up as part time courses for Psyc :(

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Hi Muir,

Thanks for that, applied to them alright, still have not heard anything though :(

• Advertisement

You should get the relevant information from the colleges you applied to. They should point you in the right direction on how best to make your application stronger for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Do the colleges know what other courses you put down on the CAO? like 2nd, 3rd... choices etc

bri007 wrote: »
    Do the colleges know what other courses you put down on the CAO? like 2nd, 3rd... choices etc

Yes, but they shouldn't discriminate because of your list of choices. (this was posted before by a CAO employee) Edit: actually, I think I contacted the CAO and that was the reply I got. I posted it in this forum somewhere. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Larianne wrote: »
    Yes, but they shouldn't discriminate because of your list of choices. (this was posted before by a CAO employee)

Ok, Im in trouble so, I told them when asked at my interview if I applied for anything else, I said no :(

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Korasa

CAO Change of Mind???? what??? had no idea i could change my mind!! hope im not to late, thanks so much!!

Hope it works out for you. Thankfully there are a few options open to you and I hope you can manage to find something that suits.

Advertisement