Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you planted out your toms yet?

• 09-05-2013 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

I'm getting impatient and want to move them out of the house to the tunnel beds. Anyone make the move yet? How are they doing with night temps?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭hairynipple

moved our ones out to the tunnel about 3 weeks ago! looking good so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Ah but you're in sunny Tullamore. Are you fleecing them at all? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭hairynipple

aye balmy tullamore!! I'll get a pic and post it when i get the chance. only my first year to grow tomatoes. started them from seed, moneymakers i think there called. long summer ahead yet (hopefully)

Thanks, best of luck with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

No. It's mild enough that they'll survive and warm enough for them to grow on some days, but it's wet and windy at the moment and they'll only get damaged. Besides, they're doing so well indoors. I started mine in march and they're in a 24c room in a south facing window, 3 foot high, flowering and some have tomatoes forming. It's quite an easy way of growing them so far, although I might plant them out in a month or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Redser, I planted mine out to the tunnel last week - 3 x moneymaker and 3 x Shirley. Checked on them yesterday and they are motoring away. They were starting to outgrow their pots so it was time to go. I don't think any late frosts will have any effect once they are strong plants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Still hanging on this side of the country, theyre doing ok on the windowsill. Usually I dont put them out till we've had a week of over 10 degrees at night and even then use frost fleece (grow in pots in the polyt) but it really is getting late to do it. May have to go for less than the usual 5 trusses.

Thanks folks. Forecast doesn't look good but I'm going to have to bite the bullet in the next week or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

redser7 wrote: »
    Thanks folks. Forecast doesn't look good but I'm going to have to bite the bullet in the next week or so.

Storm force winds due today and up to 25mm of rain aswell.

Dont you just love the Irish Summertime...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Technophobe

I have had many of mine in the greenhouses for last 2 to 3 weeks...all surviving fine...
    As usual I have too many and will have to be resourceful about where they go...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,459 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Mine will be staying in the greenhouse for a few more weeks - or until i run out of space! Nights still too cold and weather a bit too unsettled at the moment. Don't have a poly so will be going outside.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Hi Redser
    I gave up a few years ago growing toms outside with our temperate climate.
    All greenhouse grown now for me, ill have about 20 this year, five different varieties, g delight and sungold being yearly favs.
    Did you get the details on the roma toms after?

Thanks gl. Kind of. They can be bush, vine or semi-determinate :) there are many varieties apparently. I have 4 fairly advanced at the moment so will take out shoots on 2 and watch what happens. Then save the seeds and know for sure for next year.

I ve never saved the tom seed redser, sow packet seed each season.
    Just thought the the saved seed might not come true to type with different varieties growing together in the g/house.
    it does?

I ve never saved the tom seed redser, sow packet seed each season.
    Just thought the the saved seed might not come true to type with different varieties growing together in the g/house.
    it does?

Yip, if its open pollinated. I think only F1s won't come true

Thanks, i will save some seed later in the season.
    Sorry off topic,May i ask what other seed you collect season to season.

Not much to be honest, never organised enough or else Ive grown F1s. plan to make a big effort this year with spuds, garlic, salad leaves, fruit bush cuttings, cucumbers. But have done with flowers - begonias, pansies, marigolds. Good feeling when your own free seeds germinate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

stuck mine in the tunnel last week, 8 plants at the minute.
    spuds are just starting to appear, planted 8 april.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I've 2 in a grow bag outside for over a week now, they seem to be faring alright, despite the bad winds.

• Advertisement

I'm still hanging on with the windosill but feeling the pressure, its still so cold at night here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

mcgovern wrote: »
    I've 2 in a grow bag outside for over a week now, they seem to be faring alright, despite the bad winds.

Well I guess that was tempting fate, when I got home from work yesterday they were not looking too healthy, I've moved them to a more sheltered spot, so hopefully they recover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Mine are doing beautifully in a warm room, in a south facing window. They're getting too tall for it though and aren't as bushy as I'd like, but they're flowering well and beginning to fruit.

pict0856q.th.jpg
    pict0860z.th.jpg
    pict0861l.th.jpg
    pict0862e.th.jpg
    pict0863.th.jpg
    pict0864o.th.jpg
    pict0867.th.jpg
    pict0868z.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

mine have been planted in the tunnel for 10 days now. max/min thermometer recorded 4 C last night :(

get the frost fleece out for tonight the east of the country is forcast to hit 1 degree with ground frost. :(

Advertisement