Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People of Mayfield - Keep your freaking dogs IN!!!

Options
  • 09-05-2013 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

I had to vent. I'm just back from walking my dog. Whilst walking through Mayfield, we came across a little dog. Looks like a JRT X as the dog was small. Very friendly little fella who took a keen interest in my dog.

So keen, in fact he followed us all the way home! Nothing I could do to discourage this dog would put him off. At one point he was walking ahead and looking round every so often to make sure we were still there.

What frightened me most was this: As we were passing the entrance to Glen River Park, the dog decided to cross Ballyhooley Rd to go to the park. Or so I thought. The minute he saw we weren't following him in, the dog made a mad dash across the road and nearly got himself sandwiched between two passing cars!!! The cars were forced to brake hard to avoid hitting the dog :(

Why the hell do people think it's perfectly acceptable to just let the dog out rather than taking the animal for a walk? Round here, loose dogs are an absolute menace.

I'm sick of having dogs chase cars (nearly getting themselves run over in the process), and trotting about the streets. Scares the living daylights outta me as I always worry about the poor things being run over...

Rant over!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not to mention them sh1tting everywhere and possible frightening people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The dog mess issue is a major one, I'll admit. You have to walk and keep your head down! We do clean up after our dog though and have seen a fair few people doing the same. We seem to be in the minority though. There's a dearth of bins - dog or otherwise in the Northside, but whenever we go south particularly in the Marina Park, there's plenty to be found! A definite North/South divide I think!

There should be no excuse for not cleaning up after your dog. The council give out free dog bags, so cost shouldn't be a factor!! People are just too lazy to clean up after their dogs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

There IS no excuse for not cleaning up after your dog. The council give out free dog bags, so cost shouldn't be a factor!! People are just too lazy to clean up after their dogs!!!

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I had to vent. I'm just back from walking my dog. Whilst walking through Mayfield, we came across a little dog. Looks like a JRT X as the dog was small. Very friendly little fella who took a keen interest in my dog.

So keen, in fact he followed us all the way home! Nothing I could do to discourage this dog would put him off. At one point he was walking ahead and looking round every so often to make sure we were still there.

What frightened me most was this: As we were passing the entrance to Glen River Park, the dog decided to cross Ballyhooley Rd to go to the park. Or so I thought. The minute he saw we weren't following him in, the dog made a mad dash across the road and nearly got himself sandwiched between two passing cars!!! The cars were forced to brake hard to avoid hitting the dog :(

Why the hell do people think it's perfectly acceptable to just let the dog out rather than taking the animal for a walk? Round here, loose dogs are an absolute menace.

I'm sick of having dogs chase cars (nearly getting themselves run over in the process), and trotting about the streets. Scares the living daylights outta me as I always worry about the poor things being run over...

Rant over!

I hear you!

Last Sunday myself and OH were walking our three down the North Ring towards Silversprings. There was a small terrier trying to crossing the road and back again looking lost- yes, the North Ring.

I have no idea how drivers a) saw him and b) managed to stop without causing an accident. As I was preparing to risk life and limb to go out onto the road and try and catch him he tore off up towards Silver Heights.

Today I was driving along Old Youghal Road passed the Amber garage heading towards Mayfield when a Pom and a Lab ran out onto the road heading for Tinker's Cross.

It wasn't a tan and white one was it?

• Advertisement

It wasn't a tan and white one was it?

Yup.

It's the same fella who followed us home :(. He's a lovely dog. I just hope he keeps safe...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

It's the same fella who followed us home :(. He's a lovely dog. I just hope he keeps safe...

sounds like he doesn't belong to anyone. Maybe a call to Dog Action Welfare Group might be needed.

Perhaps you're right. But the dog looked in pretty good nick to me even though he had no collar or ID tag. I think he DOES belong to someone.

I'm keeping an eye out for him again. The next time, I'll call the dog warden.

Perhaps you're right. But the dog looked in pretty good nick to me even though he had no collar or ID tag. I think he DOES belong to someone.

No please- not the dog warden or he could end up in the Pound with a 5 day window before they PTS.

Call one of the rescues - I will if I see him (and can catch him).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

He seems determined to escape from Mayfield,:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

He might belong to someone alright. I hate when people just let their dogs wander around streets :(

please don't call the warden.. If you could call one of the rescue centers instead. If it does belong to someone more chance of it been found or if it doesn't it could be re-homed.

I wouldn't call the CSPCA. Is Munster Rescue a better option?

I wouldn't call the CSPCA. Is Munster Rescue a better option?

Any of the Cork based rescues would help like West Cork Animal Welfare, Cork Dog Action Welfare, Pauline's Rescue, Animal Rescue Cobh, Muster Pet Lost and Found etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

I saw a poster yesterday for a found dog on the bus shelter outside Centra in Blackpool, tan and white Jack Russell found near The Glen, sounds like your chap. So someones taken him in for now anyway (if it is the same dog that is).

Sounds like it. Thank God!! I would've hated for anything to happen to him.

Advertisement