Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilets In Athlone Town Centre

Options
  • 09-05-2013 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

Well as anyone that has been in the shopping centre for last month or two would know the toilets have moved down a floor and Euro 2 has moved in, this is not a problem as there are both lifts and escalators down but what is annoying me is the baby changing facilities. These are now located in the womens toilets so if i wanted to change my 1 year old i would have to go into the womens toilets and do so which is a no starter. They used to have a baby changing room above so why change things.

Do they seriously expect men to walk into the womens toilets or they did just make a mess of the planning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DG Leixlip

Steven81 wrote: »
    Well as anyone that has been in the shopping centre for last month or two would know the toilets have moved down a floor and Euro 2 has moved in, this is not a problem as there are both lifts and escalators down but what is annoying me is the baby changing facilities. These are now located in the womens toilets so if i wanted to change my 1 year old i would have to go into the womens toilets and do so which is a no starter. They used to have a baby changing room above so why change things.

Do they seriously expect men to walk into the womens toilets or they did just make a mess of the planning

Sounds really stupid and sexist alright!

Have you used the toilet in the Harvest cafe? It's the wheelchair accessible one (between the ladies and the gents). I usually have lunch there & the baby changing facilities are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Nothing Surprises me in that Place , The whole place is a Shadow of what the developers dreamed of , Bargain Basement Shops on low rents replacing UK Retailers and not one apartment sold , #NAMA

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

I can't say if they have sold any apartments but i do see plenty of people tramming in and out of the apartments. I do agree that the retailers in the shopping center seem to be in dire straights and the shopping center itself, they have moved away from there initial business plan. Monsoon Accessorize have gone into examinership and countless other business closing down it seems the writing is on the wall for that center. The only business that seem (at least from the outside looking in) to be doing good business are the cafes.

Still the shopping center itself hasn't looked for examinership.

The Euro2 Store is an act of desperation , It's full of crap and lowers the tone of the place , Also all Apartments are being rented by Developer Directly to Tenant's

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

galait wrote: »
    The Euro2 Store is an act of desperation , It's full of crap and lowers the tone of the place , Also all Apartments are being rented by Developer Directly to Tenant's
    To be fair it's right beside JD Sports and the type of clothing sold in there isn't exactly seen in Gyms and Sports centres very often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

should never have been given planning permission in the first place

I am sure the developers cry themselves to sleep each and every night cursing the individual who delayed the development by 2 years with a series of objections, They opened in 2007 instead of 2005 , Deals were in place to sell Car Park, Shopping Centre all individually for astronomical amounts and all fell through due to property bubble bursting in 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

The food in the Shearton is a disaster as well. Easons must be kicking ass for moving to that pokey corner!!! Is Elverys there still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

hillbloom wrote: »
    The food in the Shearton is a disaster as well. Easons must be kicking ass for moving to that pokey corner!!! Is Elverys there still open.

I think it is only a clearance store only now. Waste of time going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

I asked them on facebook why was a store like this coming. They replied that they did a survey and it want people where looking for.
    It is a real waste of space . They also need to do something with the old shopping. It is so ugly to look at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

At least they don't have toilet attendants.

The writing was on the wall when River Island announced a few years back it was closing the the Athlone Town Centre Store and leaving the Golden Island one open , What a kick in the teeth that was , They eventually reversed the decision and closed Golden Island and left Athlone Town Centre open - One wonders how many yrs free rent was promised to change their minds !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

The writing was on the wall when River Island announced a few years back it was closing the the Athlone Town Centre Store and leaving the Golden Island one open , What a kick in the teeth that was , They eventually reversed the decision and closed Golden Island and left Athlone Town Centre open - One wonders how many yrs free rent was promised to change their minds !!

River island were never in golden island centre.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    River island were never in golden island centre.

My Mistake , Maybe it was Oasis , Anyway it was announced in the National Press that ATC was closing and GI was to remain open ,The decision was then reversed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

With respect on the €2 store, shoppers locally dont have the sort of money to be spending at M&S, River Island etc, certainly not to sustain such a business. The centre badly needed Dunnes or Superquinn to set up in it. Plus the pay-parking when GI and Dunnes across are free was suicide.

Ours is a small town that sometimes tries to be bigger than it actually is. The Shopping Centre and associated decline of it and Texas are the biggest sympoms of it. Shame but thats life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I like the town centre shopping centre. Some of the stores are a bit high end (coast etc) but really, where else is it going to go in Athlone? I think the M & S needs to be bigger though, a health food shop like 'Nourish' would be good and a GameStop up here would work too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Rasmus wrote: »
    I like the town centre shopping centre. Some of the stores are a bit high end (coast etc) but really, where else is it going to go in Athlone? I think the M & S needs to be bigger though, a health food shop like 'Nourish' would be good and a GameStop up here would work too.
    Is GameStop in Golden Island not enough?

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Is GameStop in Golden Island not enough?

I just think it would attract custom in the TC. I find myself making two stops, and the TC only has one kid-centric shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I just think it would attract custom in the TC. I find myself making two stops, and the TC only has one kid-centric shop.

GAME only closed in ATC last year. Cant see Gamestop moving across, i think they're doing alright in GI.

GAME only closed in ATC last year. Cant see Gamestop moving across, i think they're doing alright in GI.

GAME closed everywhere. Gamestop seem to be doing great in GI and there would no reason to move. However, ATC needs something similar to that as all the current stores are mainly for clothes and accessories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

GAME closed everywhere. Gamestop seem to be doing great in GI and there would no reason to move. However, ATC needs something similar to that as all the current stores are mainly for clothes and accessories.
    The Town Centre has Golden Discs though. Not unless HMV, Zavvi or Chartbusters open a store there. Oh no wait... :)

I can't see anything similar to Gamestop moving into the TC as there currently IS nothing similar to Gamestop at the moment. Steam has taken over most of the games market and I'm guessing that Gamestop are only just hanging in there.

Advertisement