Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to......

Options
  • 09-05-2013 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Since HMV has closed down, i've had great difficulty looking for an alternative place to buy box sets....can anyone recommend any place in Cork City...i've tried Golden Discs...but i find their selection to be quite limited!

I guess perhaps the only real alternative is online :confused:

Thank y'all in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

ElecKtrA wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Since HMV has closed down, i've had great difficulty looking for an alternative place to buy box sets....can anyone recommend any place in Cork City...i've tried Golden Discs...but i find their selection to be quite limited!

I guess perhaps the only real alternative is online :confused:

Thank y'all in advance! :)

Roxy music isnt bad

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bobsnob

wheres that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Fabio

PlugD Records? In the Triskel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Roxy records are long gone.

Plugd concentrate on independent music

I'm afraid that it's just Tesco and Golden Discs that are left in the boxset market and due to the nature of the market they aren't willing or able to have a very wide selection.

unfortunately, there is no sustainable way for the old megastores with large libraries of stuff to exist anymore when amazon can stock everything in a large warehouse for you to browse at home at much cheaper prices or you can stream to your TV over the net.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Order them online- I don't know why people bother being ripped off in shops anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Siuin wrote: »
    Order them online- I don't know why people bother being ripped off in shops anymore.

Because when all the shops are gone, then the online stores/downloading will be back to what the shop prices are.

/controversial:pac:

Roxy records are long gone.

Plugd concentrate on independent music

I'm afraid that it's just Tesco and Golden Discs that are left in the boxset market and due to the nature of the market they aren't willing or able to have a very wide selection.

unfortunately, there is no sustainable way for the old megastores with large libraries of stuff to exist anymore when amazon can stock everything in a large warehouse for you to browse at home at much cheaper prices or you can stream to your TV over the net.

I was at the Roxy store in Douglas court last week and bought 3 box sets. Good selection and loads of deals.

http://cork.ratemyarea.com/places/roxy-111093

bobsnob wrote: »
    wheres that?

Might have got the name slightly wrong, here is where I was talking about: http://cork.ratemyarea.com/places/roxy-111093

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Don't Gamestop also do box sets - second hand possibly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

ElecKtrA wrote: »
    Ii've tried Golden Discs...but i find their selection to be quite limited!

You can say that again! We used to call them "Golden Disc" before we stopped going there. Nothing we were looking for, seemed like they just had one CD in the place.

Vibes and scribes i used to like for music, but i think they dropped the vibes for arts and crafts supplies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

murphym7 wrote: »
    I was at the Roxy store in Douglas court last week and bought 3 box sets. Good selection and loads of deals.

http://cork.ratemyarea.com/places/roxy-111093

ah fair enough. They must have struck out on their own after The other Roxy's closed down. Haven't been in DC for years so just assumed they went with the rest of the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

debenhams have started to sell DVD's and box sets. I got the call the midwife christmas special there on friday and I couldn't get in golden discs and tescos

Advertisement