Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's going on in the Premier League/Football as a whole

• 09-05-2013 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭

Bit late in the season but I guess this will be good in the off-season to discuss player transfers etc. First topic of discussion - will Fergie play Rooney in his last ever home match?
    IN5269533CAPE-TOWN-S_40038t.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

roryc wrote: »
    Bit late in the season but I guess this will be good in the off-season to discuss player transfers etc. First topic of discussion - will Fergie play Rooney in his last ever home match?

Fergie is a ruthless man (think Tywin in Game of Thrones) yet can show softness at times. This leads me to think that Rooney either start, be on the bench or in the stands.

Moyes officially confirmed as Manchester United manager from July 1st, as Jim White creams (they'll say it's the rain but we know the truth) his pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

If I was Rooney I would wait until Fergie is basking in his glory on Sunday and threatening to shed a tear and then I would pull down his pants:eek:
    I'm no fan of Rooney as a human being but he has been treated very poorly by the gaffer this year, particularly in the last few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

If I was Rooney I would wait until Fergie is basking in his glory on Sunday and threatening to shed a tear and then I would pull down his pants:eek:
    I'm no fan of Rooney as a human being but he has been treated very poorly by the gaffer this year, particularly in the last few months.

how? aside from the comment about subbing him when he wasn't playing well i can't think of anything? i'm not saying there isn't, just wondering what leads you to think he has been unfairly treated?

As a united fan i watch every single match and Rooney's form hasn't been brilliant, partly due to injury and being played out of position but the times he has been dropped he either deserved it or it was tactical, (not starting v madrid, a tactic that was working very effectively until the nani sending off)

It just feels to me that rooney is unhappy about not being the main man anymore and instead of knuckling down and trying to give the manager no choice but to play him he chose the easy option of looking to move elsewhere, i'm sure there were other factors too in his request, such as being played out of position.

It was very un-fergie like to criticise a player publicly but other than that how do you feel rooney had been unfairly treated?

Hogey007 wrote: »
    how? aside from the comment about subbing him when he wasn't playing well i can't think of anything? i'm not saying there isn't, just wondering what leads you to think he has been unfairly treated?

As a united fan i watch every single match and Rooney's form hasn't been brilliant, partly due to injury and being played out of position but the times he has been dropped he either deserved it or it was tactical, (not starting v madrid, a tactic that was working very effectively until the nani sending off)

It just feels to me that rooney is unhappy about not being the main man anymore and instead of knuckling down and trying to give the manager no choice but to play him he chose the easy option of looking to move elsewhere, i'm sure there were other factors too in his request, such as being played out of position.

It was very un-fergie like to criticise a player publicly but other than that how do you feel rooney had been unfairly treated?

It's only my opinion which I realise carries little weight but I think Rooney should be one of the first names on any United teamsheet, just because they succeeded in holding Madrid without him doesn't necessarily mean that they were any better off. He has been played out of position regularly, played very well and been subbed off and left out subsequently, the comments Ferguson made which you referred to were out of order, particularly in dealing with a world class player who may be suffering from a lack of confidence. As I pointed out on the other thread it seems like Van Persie is the favoured son while Rooney appears to be the victim of some power trip of the managers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Rooney lands a transfer request and then leaks news re the hip op,a final FU from Fergie to leave him on the bench i reckon

It's only my opinion which I realise carries little weight but I think Rooney should be one of the first names on any United teamsheet, just because they succeeded in holding Madrid without him doesn't necessarily mean that they were any better off. He has been played out of position regularly, played very well and been subbed off and left out subsequently, the comments Ferguson made which you referred to were out of order, particularly in dealing with a world class player who may be suffering from a lack of confidence. As I pointed out on the other thread it seems like Van Persie is the favoured son while Rooney appears to be the victim of some power trip of the managers.

but i don't think rooney's form warrants an automatic inclusion in the team, as i said myself though, his lack of form is partly due to be played out of position though so in that sense he's unfortunate.
    RVP has been first choice and i seen your post in the other thread but i'd disagree, i think even when he hit that dip and wasn't scoring he was still playing decent and setting up goals, i think the praise you referred to Sir Alex giving him for that deflected goal in the sunderland game was a bit over the top but was probably more to do with trying to get his confidence in front of goals back.
    You are right in that Ferguson hasn't given Rooney the same praise and i did find the criticism of his display strange but as i said, that aside, i don't think Rooney has been unfairly treated. I also remember Ferguson singling nani out for criticism in that league cup defeat to chelsea earlier in the season and it was so unlike him.
    Anyway, as you said, it's entirely a matter of opinion.

Ya, well I still think he should pull his pants down, jocks as well:eek:

Rooney is an excellent player. Rooney demands that other excellent players join him or he will leave. United give Rooney extra wages that limit the spending to Ashley Young quality. Rooney performs well scoring loads of goals, but ultimately lose the league to Aguero. United then buy two excellent player in RVP and Kagawa. Rooney gets injured. RVP plays even more excellently than Rooney has done, Kagawa shows glimpses of excellence but gets injured. Rooney returns from injury and plays quite well, but RVP plays better. Fergie is a manger of a team who has to be ruthless and decides to drop Rooney deeper/to the bench. RVP suffers dip in form. Rooney doesn't take advantage of this. RVP starts scoring goals again. Kagawa reurns to the mix. United win the league. Rooney asks to leave. Fergie says no. Fergie decides to leave with Moyes being appointed. Rooney and Moyes had a spat in the past. Public learns that Rooney wants to leave. Fergie being a god has 2 games left that will want to win. RVP will start. Rooney may/may not start. Rooney will get booed by fans for wanting to leave. Fergie will not want any negativity on his special day. Mr.Prodston realises that this is a vicious circle.

As Rafa says these are the "facts" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

If Rooney wasn't English this wouldn't be near as big an issue.

• Advertisement

it's also woth noting that for someone who tweets us to let us know he's playing the playstation Rooney hasn't been among the many hundreds of professional sportsmen to wish Fergie all the best, when tributes have been coming from players with no connection to fergie or united such as Falcao it's a bit strange that a player who has played the majority of his career under Sir Alex hasn't so much as said thanks and all the best. Something has obviously happened on a personal level with these two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭kippy

If what Rooney has gone through for 250K a week this year is getting "treated poorly" then give it to me any day of the week.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hi lads,
    My initial instinct was to lock this thread. We cannot discuss general football topics on this forum.

However, I will allow the threat to stay open providing the posts are directly related to FPL.

Advertisement