Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Sir Alex Ferguson Appreciation Thread

• 09-05-2013 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,665 ✭✭✭✭

Thought there would be one already for the man who spent 27 years in charge of Manchester United and built them into the super club they are today, winning 49 trophies, one of the greatest managers ever, wish him the best in his retirement and thank him
    Manchester United:-
    Premier League (13): 1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2012–13
    FA Cup (5): 1989–90, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1998–99, 2003–04
    League Cup (4): 1991–92, 2005–06, 2008–09, 2009–10
    FA Charity/Community Shield (10): 1990 (shared), 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011
    UEFA Champions League (2): 1998–99, 2007–08
    UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (1): 1990–91
    UEFA Super Cup (1): 1991
    Intercontinental Cup (1): 1999
    FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Awaits Pasiley/Shankly/Revie/etc etc was better posts and eventual closure of the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is there not enough of this on Sky Sports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Fergie's only game in Stoke on a Wednesday night was in the League Cup in 1993.... and he lost 2-1.

Never did it at the top level. Dunno what everyone saw in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Ahhh here he's not bleeding dead :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Fergie Retires thread pt 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Ahhh here he's not bleeding dead :eek:

No but we're dead serious about how good he is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Another thread, just what we needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Only for Mark Robbins we wouldn't be here today. What about an appreciation thread for Robbins?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

tbh I think Fergie deserves a thread, the other one will be all about Moyes taking up the mantle, the Utd thread will be about them going forward and all other rumours/news that crop up on a daily basis while this is more than justified compared to all the appreciation threads weve seen before as honestly I dont think we will ever see the like of Fergie again.

A true great who no matter who people support virtually everyone respects even if it's begrudgingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Awaits Pasiley/Shankly/Revie/etc etc was better posts and eventual closure of the thread.

I hate to admit, but he was kinda special. God help Moyes, and probably the next few managers with Sir Alex watching over them from the Boardmans Box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Once in a lifetime. Thank you Sir Alex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

He was an alright manager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Saw this in a paper today and was mildly surprised.

What was SAF's first signing for United?
    (scroll down for answer)

Liam O'Brien from Shamrock Rovers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's pity some posts have to have snipe.

Although proves that he really was super. Nobody likes success from a rival.

Keep them and thank them away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

We love you Fergie, we do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is there not enough of this on Sky Sports?

You're assuming everyone here has/watches Sky Sports for anything other than live matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

A ****ing hero.

That is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Did he ever have a song about him. I can't remember utd fans ever singing one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

So many memories from Fergies time at United. Unbelievable really what he's achieved, and so hard to pick out one. Nou Camp and Moscow obviously stand out. Going to be hard to get used to him not being there.
    Saw this in a paper today and was mildly surprised.

What was SAF's first signing for United?
    (scroll down for answer)
    Liam O'Brien from Shamrock Rovers

Ron Atkinson signed Liam O Brien - Fergie's first signing was Viv Anderson.
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Did he ever have a song about him. I can't remember utd fans ever singing one.
    Not sure if this was ever sung extensively but it'll get some airing on Sunday :)
    Oh, every single one of us, love Alex Ferguson, love Alex Ferguson, love Alex Ferguson,
    Oh every............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Can this not be discussed in the Man United superthread no?

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »

I think theres a Zlatan/Xavi/Messi/C.Ron etc etc appreciation threads, I suppose we'll allow one for one of the greatest managers of modern times as well.

Not everyone will venture into the Man Utd thread where everything can be discussed relating to Utd, this is here just to talk about Fergie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

When we had the Xavi appreciation thread, and the Pirlo appreciation thread, no one said "hey can we not talk about this in the Barcelona/ European championship thread?" Gtfo, he deserves a discussion of his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I think theres a Zlatan/Xavi/Messi/C.Ron etc etc appreciation threads, I suppose we'll allow one for one of the greatest managers of modern times as well.

Not everyone will venture into the Man Utd thread where everything can be discussed relating to Utd, this is here just to talk about Fergie.

I understand he was a great manager but the SF is clogged full of Man United threads at the moment. Just a bit annoying is all.

I understand he was a great manager but the SF is clogged full of Man United threads at the moment. Just a bit annoying is all.

At the moment we have 3, I know it seems like a lot alright.

I might close the "Fergie retired, Moyes new manager thread" ill see what the other mods say, given thats its such a big news story, I think it does warrant its own thread for awhile longer anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Only for Mark Robbins we wouldn't be here today. What about an appreciation thread for Robbins?

Martin Edwards says that that's bullshít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I might close the "Fergie retired, Moyes new manager thread" ill see what the other mods say, given thats its such a big news story, I think it does warrant its own thread for awhile longer anyway.

That's a great thread!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

But I thought all Man Utd fans said the league cup was mickey mouse.
    But seriously, is anyone counting the community shield???

Why is the success at Aberdeen not in the op????

More like "the Alex Ferguson at man utd appreciation thread".

The fact he won a European trophy at Aberdeen goes down as one greatest feats by any manager if all time alone.

The man is god there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The fact he won a European trophy at Aberdeen goes down as one greatest feats by any manager if all time alone.

The man is god there.
    As remarkable as Brian Clough winning back to back European Cups with Nottingham Forest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

" A good manager, not a great manager. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Without doubt the greatest club manager since the new epl started, it'll be quite strange not to see him in the dug outs.

One criticism I have though, he seemed to have weaknesses when competing in Europe, for example playing Phil Jones as a hatchet man vs real Madrid, its something stoke would do against the top 5 side, many more examples too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Without doubt the greatest club manager since the new epl started, it'll be quite strange not to see him in the dug outs.

One criticism I have though, he seemed to have weaknesses when competing in Europe, for example playing Phil Jones as a hatchet man vs real Madrid, its something stoke would do against the top 5 side, many more examples too.

You give a small bit and then you take it all away again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Weird that this thread is getting people's backs up so much. Surely it's a case of if you don't like it, off to another thread. If you are annoyed with all of the Man United threads on the front page, feel free to bump any thread you feel merits everyone's attention or start a more interesting thread. Weird.

Anyway, the man is a legend. His greatest feat was managing to successfully traverse multiple eras during which football went from a sport to a business and still managed to keep himself relevant at the very highest level.

No doubt a load of people will point to his European record as not where he would want it to be and they're right in some respects. At the same time, this is also greatly exaggerated. His only real under-performance in Europe was the early to mid 00s. Before and after that, United were always there and thereabouts and towards the end they suffered from twice being second best to the greatest club side of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Oranage2 wrote: »

Phil Jones had a brilliant game against Madrid. As a direct result Ronaldo had a fairly quiet afternoon at a time when he was playing fantastically (bar the world class header of course). But you're right ofc, what the **** was Ferguson thinking? Adapting in Europe, tsk, said that'd be your downfall...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

kraggy wrote: »
    Martin Edwards says that that's bullshít.

Well he would in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

eagle eye wrote: »
    As remarkable as Brian Clough winning back to back European Cups with Nottingham Forest?

Every bit as remarkable. While Nottingham Forest's star may have dwindled a fair bit they are still a bigger club than Aberdeen will ever be. To win a European trophy with Aberdeen, beating Real Madrid in the final, was an incredible achievement. These days Aberdeen are doing well if they beat Dundee United let alone Real.

I know times were different then and the big clubs didn't have quite as much dominance of the transfer market as they do now and weren't paying the astronomical wages we see today. So the playing field wasn't as massively skewed against the smaller clubs. But it was still a hell of a feat to pull off with a club who in terms of size/fanbase etc are probably on a par with the likes of Millwall or Preston.

eagle eye wrote: »

Yes.

Aberdeen were far worse off then Forest lad.

Far worse off. A club who had 7 season ticket holders at one time.

Look at them before and since. Read up and thankers too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Dont ever lock! If there's ever a thread that may need a bump at some stage in the future, its that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I always found it remarkable that United fans would sing the names of even their most mediocre players but yet you'd never hear them singing Ferguson's name. He is the single greatest influence on the club in their history. Liverpool fans still sing Rafael Benitez's name, who had much less impact on that club. Strange one.

Advertisement