Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I play real sports; not try to be the best at exercising"

• 09-05-2013 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

I decided I'd start a log to stop me from turning into one. The shame of not venturing out often enough being visible to others on d'internet should act as an incentive to get out and rack up the miles.

A bit of background - I played hurling, football and rugby up until I was around 18 (I'm 22 now) before a recurring shoulder problem put me under the knife. Unfortunately the operation wasn't much of a success and despite trying to get back playing I realised it was going to be too long a process, with too small a chance of success and a requirement of more possibly unsuccessful surgery. I said I'd cut my losses because I wasn't particularly talented at any of the sports I had been playing.

I started doing a bit of running, amongst other things, to try fill the void left as a result of the injury. To be honest it didn't do a lot for me. I missed the banter of training with the lads and all that goes with team sports but I kept up the running, albeit inconsistently. I might run 4 times one week, do nothing for a fortnight and do 3 runs the following week; all of varying distances etc. There was no structure or goal; I was simply doing it to remain active and offset the effects of college life. Sometimes I went down to the rugby club and did laps and sprints of the pitch. Other times I'd do anywhere between 4/5k to 10k on the road.

In any event, I started doing the annual Solas Centre Run for Life 10 miler four years ago. At first it was something I did purely because of the particular charity the race was associated with. However, having jogged-walked-struggled it in 2009, I jogged it in '10 and '11 with small improvements. Last year I started doing a bit more running and built up a more solid base with more frequent running and did the 10 miles in 1 hour 23 minutes and realised I had a bit more left in the legs. That was an improvement of about 15 minutes on previous years.

I decided after the race that I would run a half-marathon and a full marathon in 2013. My target marathon would be the DCM and I intended doing either the half in Cork or Waterford on the way to that goal.

Over the winter and into the new year I've kept up a fairly consistent level of running, at least in terms of my number of runs per week and I felt strong enough to do my first half at the Wexford HM last month. I got around in 1 hour 53 mins 22 secs. My target marathon remains the DCM but I've decided I'm going to run my first marathon at the Viking Marathon in Waterford at the end of June as my first, if that makes any sense.

I've adjusted my training schedule to what I think will allow me to get around the Waterford course in June, with the hope of being able to enjoy working towards improving for the DCM later this year. Part of the reason for doing the Viking Marathon is because it's at home in Waterford, but the other is that I feel like I'm on the right path to be able to do one around then.

I've been following a personally tailored version of the Hal Higdon Novice 1 program. In reality its tailored weekly and the only thing being followed closely is the total mileage and the length of the LSR. I hopped in at week 9 the week following the Wexford HM and have carried on in that vein.

Unfortunately, I don't have a snazzy GPS watch and have no plans to get one, so whatever I post up here will be a guesstimate based on a combination of MapMyRun and my trusty Philips Activa Pedometer calibrated to the Wexford HM.

I'll ask questions along the way and hopefully you knowledgeable people will be able to help. Any advice is certainly welcome.

Unlike the legend that is Kenny Powers, I will try to be the best at exercising.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Good luck!

Not sure I'd be training for 2 marathons so close to each other- using a plan seems like a good idea. Would certainly consider athletics more of a sport than Irish nationalist political creations like hurling and football and the english public schoolboy makey uppy activity of rugby but thats a totally different conversation lol:D

Most important thing is getting the milage up/ consistent and the times will come

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

drquirky wrote: »
    Good luck!

Not sure I'd be training for 2 marathons so close to each other- using a plan seems like a good idea. Would certainly consider athletics more of a sport than Irish nationalist political creations like hurling and football and the english public schoolboy makey uppy activity of rugby but thats a totally different conversation lol:D

Most important thing is getting the milage up/ consistent and the times will come

Do you think 17 weeks is too close? Maybe it is but I suppose I can review that once I get though the Viking marathon hopefully unscathed.

Haha I'll keep the tongue in the cheek on that. It was Danny McBride's assertion anyway. (And as if Baseball is a real sport; pfffft.) :P

Do you think 17 weeks is too close? Maybe it is but I suppose I can review that once I get though the Viking marathon hopefully unscathed.

Haha I'll keep the tongue in the cheek on that. It was Danny McBride's assertion anyway. (And as if Baseball is a real sport; pfffft.) :P

Yup 17 weeks is wayyy too close- you are underestimating what the recovery will be like. Theres a good reason that the guys at the absolute top of the sport only race 1 or 2 marathons a year....if I were you I'd keep building a base and target DCM in October....how long is your longest run each week now? If you haven't run long (18 miles plus) I wouldn't go anywhere near the Viking Mara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I did Waterford and dublin last year as my first and second marathons and found the recovery time to be more than enough. That said I had a good base built up from football and cycling for years previous.

If you are fit enough to run the Viking marathon then the recovery time is sufficient. If you don't have the running fitness built up in time for the Viking then the recovery time may not be long enough.

7 weeks to go, what's your longest lsr to date??

Yup 17 weeks is wayyy too close- you are underestimating what the recovery will be like. Theres a good reason that the guys at the absolute top of the sport only race 1 or 2 marathons a year....if I were you I'd keep building a base and target DCM in October....how long is your longest run each week now? If you haven't run long (18 miles plus) I wouldn't go anywhere near the Viking Mara

I'm just basing it on how my body feels to be honest. My longest run to date was 17 miles on Saturday and I was fine after it. I felt like adding on another ten minutes but decided against that and just stuck to the planned distance. My legs were grand the next day and I had no niggles or tightness. Similarly after the Wexford Half I felt like I had another while in the legs before fatigue would become a significant issue. All I want to do in Waterford is get around and in reality Dublin will just be about minor improvements. I'd imagine 17 weeks is loads even with recovery factored in.
    Gavlor wrote: »
    I did Waterford and dublin last year as my first and second marathons and found the recovery time to be more than enough. That said I had a good base built up from football and cycling for years previous.

If you are fit enough to run the Viking marathon then the recovery time is sufficient. If you don't have the running fitness built up in time for the Viking then the recovery time may not be long enough.

7 weeks to go, what's your longest lsr to date??

That's more what I was thinking all right. Since I'm not going out to break any personal bests or the like surely I'm not going to be in such a bad way that I can't do the same 17 weeks later. I'm taking it very handy on the LSRs like I'm supposed to and there doesn't seem to be any real stress on the body thus far, which is good.

Do you reckon a 17 miler on Saturday was far enough to be hitting at this stage before a first-time marathon?

• Advertisement

Just make sure you get at least one 20 miler in, preferably 2. You have 4 weekends left before a 3 week taper so I'd consider 19 this w/e, 20 next weekend; 12 the following week if you can manage another 19-20 then well and good. That'll mean you'll finish the marathon.

It has a tough final 6-7 miles so be prepared to suffer a bit regardless of your planned pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Welcome to the world of logging Ri na hEireann.

Following the posts so far my two-cents worth are to do the Viking with no serious target in mind, aiming to just enjoy it, and review Dublin towards the end of July based on your recovery weeks post Waterford.

From the 10 miler last Autumn, the Wexford half and your regular winter running you seem to be progressing well. While 17 miler is fine you will ideally need to have at least 2 or 3 20-milers in the bag before your taper. Provided your training can be maintained over the next 7 weeks there is no reason you would not be well able for a marathon at the end of June.

Sure no worries- just trying to give a bit of advise. I just think its a really bad idea for newbies to do multiple marathons within a short space of time. Build some strength and speed at shorter distances and have a crack at the marathon once a year would be what I think is best. I'm gonna get railed for saying this but lots of the newbies fromDCM 2012 haven't performed at their best in spring marathons and imo the fact that many of them were doing their second marathon within 6 months shouldn't be ignored...

Sure no worries- just trying to give a bit of advise. I just think its a really bad idea for newbies to do multiple marathons within a short space of time. Build some strength and speed at shorter distances and have a crack at the marathon once a year would be what I think is best. I'm gonna get railed for saying this but lots of the newbies fromDCM 2012 haven't performed at their best in spring marathons and imo the fact that many of them were doing their second marathon within 6 months shouldn't be ignored...

That's a very fair point actually. Being 22 should help him recover a lot faster though?

I don't think you should 'race' both marathons but if the plan is to take it easy in Waterford and use it as a marker from Dublin then it will probably be ok.

Just make sure you get at least one 20 miler in, preferably 2. You have 4 weekends left before a 3 week taper so I'd consider 19 this w/e, 20 next weekend; 12 the following week if you can manage another 19-20 then well and good. That'll mean you'll finish the marathon.

It has a tough final 6-7 miles so be prepared to suffer a bit regardless of your planned pace.

I had only one planned but I'll try stretch that to two with a few alterations. I had an 18 miler planned for this weekend so I'll stretch that out to 19 and do as you advise for the next 3 weeks.

I know I will suffer all right but as you said I'm only looking to finish so I won't be trying to race round, just get to the finish line in as much of one piece as possible.
    slowsteady wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of logging Ri na hEireann.

Following the posts so far my two-cents worth are to do the Viking with no serious target in mind, aiming to just enjoy it, and review Dublin towards the end of July based on your recovery weeks post Waterford.

From the 10 miler last Autumn, the Wexford half and your regular winter running you seem to be progressing well. While 17 miler is fine you will ideally need to have at least 2 or 3 20-milers in the bag before your taper. Provided your training can be maintained over the next 7 weeks there is no reason you would not be well able for a marathon at the end of June.

Yeah that's the plan anyway. I don't mind crawling around Waterford. I just wanted to do my home city one with people I know and get around. Time isn't an issue and if it does impinge on my preparations for Dublin I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I did the HM before I had planned because I felt ready to and I was happy enough with it. I know there's a big difference between 1/2 and full but at the time that was my furthest distance and it had no serious stress on my body in the days after.

The plan is to get in 2 20milers now. Had only planned one really but that's just because the plan I got suggested only one. I think it's probably too late and too much to get 3 in at this stage though.

No, I appreciate the advice. Sorry if I came across dismissive. I suppose your approach would be a more sensible option considering I haven't covered the distance before but my main goal is to do a marathon and whilst DCM was my target I decided along the way to include Waterford because of where I was at and the whole local factor. It became a nice goal to work towards knowing I could do my first one with people I know and around a place I know.

With that in mind if the Viking Marathon was to take a lot out of me it wouldn't be the end of the world for me to reconsider Dublin or at least shape my expectations for it by that fact.
    I'm really planning on taking Waterford handy so hopefully that will help my recovery and lower the prospect of injury.

Since this is a log I should probably start logging. As I said above I loosely follow the Hal Higdon Novice schedule but jig it around to take account of work commitments and other things. I aim to get out 4 times a week and I do the cross day on the bike some weeks but alternatively I throw in a few km recovery the day after my LSR on the beach, or something like that depending on where I am.

Some weeks I only get out 3 times since I travel a lot at the weekends but I do my LSR every week regardless. When I do only 3 runs I usually just combine the distance of 2 of my midweek runs (like this week). That's been fine up until now but with the midweek distance running increasing over the coming weeks I'm going to try avoid this so as to not be stressing the body with what would effectively be another LSR midweek. It will just mean earlier mornings.

I've been talking in miles but in practice I work in new money so I'll keep the distances metric. As I said I don't have a GPS so I mostly run by feel. My mp3/pedometer gives me an idea on time but the distance seems to be way off no matter how I calibrate it so I use MapMyRun as my barometer.

This week (starting 6/5/13):

Mon: Nada

Tues: 6km in intervals of sorts. Easy first kilometer. Next 3km broken into 500m quick-1km handy-500m quick-1km handy. I did a steady paced 1 km and then looped home with a slow kilometer. Out and back in 30something minutes. I use the short runs just to get a few km at a higher tempo into my legs.

Weds: Working early til later than expected(could have gone out before work had I known). Had to eat dinner late in work so didn't feel like going out just before bed with a full stomach. Carried this distance over to Thurs.

Thurs: I'm conscious of the fact that the hill in the Viking marathon at Tramore, which comes pretty far into the race, is a monster so I've been trying to work in steeper longer hills into my runs. Working in Cork is ideal for this really.

The combined distance of Weds + Thurs' run was 19 km. As I said I'm mindful of not overdoing the midweek distances so I did about 17km and change at a handy pace on a loop I went round twice incorporating 2 steep hills and a couple long gradual ones. Took about 1 hour 40mins.

Fri:
    Sat:
    Sun:

• Advertisement

Fri (10/5): Rest.

Sat (11/5): Planned to do my LSR today but unexpectedly ended up out on Friday night. Was going to head out Saturday evening as an alternative because I was feeling grand but I thought it might be unwise with whatever dehydration I might have had from the drink.

Sun (12/5): Was away for the weekend. Having got my plans scuppered by Friday night's antics I moved the LSR to Monday evening and will probably keep it there until the marathon because it's more convenient. Just did a handy 8 miles from Bray to Shanganagh Park and around with a few steadier paced miles along the way.

Mon(13/5): Did my LSR in Cork City. Due to a missed turn-off resulting from the fogginess of my brain about 2"50 in I passed home just after 18 miles and called it a day. I had planned 19 miles but it was getting late and my head was all over the place.

This was my first bad experience on a long run in training for the Viking. From about 10 miles I felt very sluggish. I was working until half 5 and didn't get out on the road until about 7. I knew I'd be running until late so I ate my dinner at lunch time, which is strange for me so I don't know whether this had anything to do with it or not. In any case I was shattered by 15 miles and the last three were a serious struggle.

I popped into a filling station at the ten mile mark and got some Powerade and a bit of chocolate in to me because I felt so sapped of energy. Glad I got through it though. Took over three hours and change with a snail-like pace.

The run took in a lot of hills which was intentional. I'm looking forward to a few flatter shorter runs this week. Sunday's Well at around 10 miles was galling but the descent allowed for a nice recovery, which I really needed. Coming back towards the city uphill nearly all the way from Blackrock took a lot out of me too.

Untitled_zpsa6e36a32.jpg

Just wondering how do people judge their pace for LSRs in the absence of a GPS watch? Is it just a matter of picking points you know the distance early on, getting to them at a certain time and sticking to that pace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Just wondering how do people judge their pace for LSRs in the absence of a GPS watch? Is it just a matter of picking points you know the distance early on, getting to them at a certain time and sticking to that pace?
    You should be able to easily hold a conversation

You should be able to easily hold a conversation

Is that what you do on your solo lsr's?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Is that what you do on your solo lsr's?!
    Haha I talk to the voices in my head all day long ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Ri, like yourself I just use MapMyRun and a stopwatch. I wouldn't worry too much about exact pace on the LSR. Conversational pace is always a good guide. Just make sure you start at a pace you're confident you'll be able to keep easily for the duration. Time on feet is the main aim of these runs so the real effort should only be evident in the last third of the run at most.

Weds (15/5): 4 and a bit miles in just over 32 and a half minutes. Bit of a headwind but turned into a nice tailwind towards the end.

[IMG][/img]Untitled1_zps85eff7a2.jpg

Out of curiousity, how accurate or not is MapMyRun? I'm assuming it's a bit out.

Thurs (16/5) Just over 5 miles tonight and just short of 43 minutes. Few slow miles with a few hundred meters at 3/4 pace around.

Untitled3_zps26cf6896.jpg

Right, I've been awful at keeping this up. I haven't made any updates in nearly two weeks and at this stage I won't remember all my sessions or when I did them etc. Deadlines in work have meant little time to log but they have also affected my running which isn't ideal. Last week I missed a good chunk of midweek mileage which I didn't get to make up. I'm just going to write it off as I think trying to make it up would be counter productive. The rest made my 20miler on Monday much less onerous though. (Don't know if this is good or not?)

Anyway.

Mon 27/5: Just over 20 miles and it took around 3 and a half hours. I was sore enough the day after but got out for a few recover miles.

Untitled4_zps30137e63.jpg

Tues 28/5: Slow 5km recovery run.
    Wednesday 29/5: Pacey 8km.
    Thursday 30/5: Rest.

Haven't been keeping on top of this. I moved house a few weeks ago and I'm having issues with internet connection so didn't get much chance to log my runs.

I'm into the taper now and I got all my runs in over the past few weeks with the exception of one LSR, but it couldn't be helped. I managed to get in two 20 milers altogether and I'd be relatively confident of being able to get around but I know the last 6 miles will be very tough on the legs and, probably more importantly, the mind. The tapering concept seems so alien to me at this stage with all the build-up; it seems counterintuitive to take the foot off the pedal but I'll just have to resist the urge to stay out for those extra miles.

I still don't know what pace I'm going to go with and I do regret now not having given the pace much thought. It's a toss up between 4.15 and 4.30. I might go with the 4.30 pacers and see how the legs feel 20 miles in and take it from there.

• Advertisement

Haven't been keeping on top of this. I moved house a few weeks ago and I'm having issues with internet connection so didn't get much chance to log my runs.

I'm into the taper now and I got all my runs in over the past few weeks with the exception of one LSR, but it couldn't be helped. I managed to get in two 20 milers altogether and I'd be relatively confident of being able to get around but I know the last 6 miles will be very tough on the legs and, probably more importantly, the mind. The tapering concept seems so alien to me at this stage with all the build-up; it seems counterintuitive to take the foot off the pedal but I'll just have to resist the urge to stay out for those extra miles.

I still don't know what pace I'm going to go with and I do regret now not having given the pace much thought. It's a toss up between 4.15 and 4.30. I might go with the 4.30 pacers and see how the legs feel 20 miles in and take it from there.

The 3 main hills on the course come in the last 7 miles. There's a real burner at mile 24 followed by a nice gentle downhill to the rsc for a lap of the track to the finish. Be careful if you are kicking on from tramore back in. Its fairly flat until you turn. There's a hill to a flyover followed by a fast downhill which brings you along to the hill mentioned above.

Apart from that its a fairly flat course.

Only getting around to this now; where to start? It certainly was a tough day at the office but I'm delighted to have completed my first marathon. In hindsight drquirky was probably right in a lot of what he advised earlier in this log and I don't think I fully respected what a huge undertaking the marathon is. I managed to get around in 4:27:xx but only just. The level of suffering I did and the length of time I had to endure it for makes me shudder just thinking about it, even now a few days later (although the legs thankfully feel back to normal this morning).

Unfortunately, I let the whole occasion take over and my plan ultimately led to the most horrible second half of a marathon I could have ever imagined. I settled on a plan that involved starting out with the 4hr pacers and staying with them for maybe the first 3 or 4 kilometres to give the pent-up energy a bit of a release (this idea came from a friend who is a seasoned marathoner). I planned on easing the pace a little then, thinking the 4.15 pacers would be with me in a matter of minutes and I could stay with that group and hopefully get around the course with them egging me on. Maybe if I had of stuck to this plan that would have happened, but stupidly I didn't.

Alarm bells should have gone off when I was still cruising along with the 4hr pacers at the HM point; they eventually did and it was not long after. When I hit the HM marker a few minutes short of 2hrs I knew I was after getting way ahead of myself but the legs were still feeling good. So rather than undergo some damage control at this point I decided to throw my original - and already deviated-from - plan out the window. My new plan was that I'd keep going at the 4hr pace until I needed to slow up and I was thinking that by then I'd have enough of a time-cushion to take me home respectably enough and I thought I'd be able to drop the pace enough to give the legs the rest they needed once the later miles starting hitting.

The notion that my legs were grand at the HM point must have been some sort of delusion I had convinced myself of because from mile 14 through to 17 in Tramore I went from really enjoying my first marathon experience - albeit a little worried about how much ahead of myself I was - to realising that getting home was now going to be a gargantuan task.

The hill just after veering left before the Prom in Tramore (Strand St) done the damage, both physically and mentally . Half way up it I realised I was in serious trouble so I probably should have slowed to a crawl, but I was thinking what goes up must come down and I maintained my pace to the top comforting myself in the knowledge that the descent on the other side will do the work for me and give my legs a rest. This was not the case. By the time I reached the summit of what seemed to be Everest and lifted my head the lactic flowed through my calves and I was only just 14.5 miles in - disaster! I really didn't know what to do at that stage. I hadn't really struggled to any significant degree in training until around 17 or 18 miles but then again I had been running those miles at even more of a snail's pace. I just bit my lip and persevered until about 17.5 miles feeling my pace slowing fairly rapidly. Around 17.5 miles I decided to break the seal. In reality I didn't need to pee that badly but the idea of a 30 second break closed the deal for me and that was the single worst call I made during the run.

Only once I stopped was I truly able to feel to burn in my quads, hamstrings, calves and groin. Getting moving again was excruciating and the stopping for a piddle at 17.5 miles resulted in about 3 miles of stop-starting-stretching awfulness which I'll never forget. I should mention at this point that I had also lost plasters around 5km in; by mile 15 or so I looked like I was preparing to breastfeed vampires.

It took a long long time to get to the 20 mile marker and somewhere along the road back from Tramore the 4:15 pacers caught up with me. I think I may have given up were it not for one of the 4.15 lads. He was shouting encouragement to everyone and marshalling the group by running back and forth between those who were struggling and about to pull up. He swept me up along the way and made sure I knew that if I could still walk I could run. I managed to hold on to this group for about a mile until their legs were just moving too fast for mine.

One of the most disheartening periods of the marathon came then. The 4.15 pacers had long gone off into the distance when I eventually reached the Green Road. Miles 22-24 were the most mind-numbing and lonely minutes of the race and possibly my life. My legs were well and truly spent by this stage and a combination of the sh*tty surface and the fact that at one stage there wasn't one runner visible in front or behind me for about 3-400 meters made this stretch of road unbearable. It didn't feel like I was even part of a marathon at this point. There were no runners or spectators around and the potholed road was like an obstacle course for aching muscles. If I have one criticism of the race it is that the second half of the course is mostly awful, both in terms of the quality of the surface and the atmosphere.

When I was coming off the Green Road I started to wonder when the 4.30 pacers would catch me. I kept looking over my shoulder trying to hold off the inevitable and sure enough by Tesco Ballybeg the balloons streamed out from behind the roundabout I had just ran through about a minute earlier. This gave me a bit of a boost strangely. The foreboding feeling of waiting for them was terrible but once I saw them I kicked on. After picking the pace up for a few minutes everything began to cramp all at once. First a quad went, then a calf and then my hammys. Every time I straightened one muscle to relieve a cramp another contracted immediately and eventually I just accepted the home strait would be run on a number of cramps and the fast I got home the faster I could get rid of them.

One cramp put the brakes on about a mile and a half from home so I looked around and saw the 4.30 pacers behind. I slowed right down until they were level with me and asked if they were on time. I was so disorientated at this stage I had no idea of the actual time I was on and was just going off the pacers whenever I came across them. The lads said they were so I was happy to keep in their small group and get home within the 4.30. It's only now that I truly appreciate the importance of having some benchmark for pace. I don't think I could have maintained enough pace to get in under 4.30 if I hadn't seen these pacers so I must really invest in a Garmin because it really does matter having an idea of how you're going timewise in order to motivate yourself to keep the legs moving.

The last mile seemed to go on for an age but once the small crowds appeared on the way to the RSC I kicked on home, the downhill finish being much appreciated. The relief of entering the track was something else. Just knowing that I was home and dry and finishing a marathon made it all worthwhile even if at that stage the buzz in the stadium was dying down. When I turned for the last 50m or so and saw the clock on 4:27 I was happy enough given how much the whole race unravelled and given that it was touch and go for a while whether I'd make it round at all.

Many lessons were learned but I am happy that I did my home city marathon despite not being as ready as I could/should have been. I spent all day Saturday and Sunday proclaiming how one marathon is enough and that the pain of those last miles aren't worth it but today, the Wednesday after, I'm thinking I can't possibly leave it at 4:27 and be happy with myself so I'm assessing where to go from here.

On a final note (apologies for the novella) I have to say that the organisation of the race was fantastic. I know there was an error with the distance but for a first-timer that had no bearing on me and mistakes do happen. The water/lucozade/gel stations were plentiful, well manned and the people volunteering at them really made the day. All things considered fair play to the organisers on what is a great advertisement for Waterford.

In hindsight drquirky was probably right in a lot of what he advised earlier in this log and I don't thin I fully respected what a huge undertaking the marathon is.

Hehehe- tbh my points all came from experience. I blew up hard in Dublin 2 years ago and can totally relate to some of the pain you talk about experiencing. The last 8 miles of marathon, literally running on fumes is not a pretty place to be! Glad you got around though! Congrats- good write up as well- this race report will be a handy reference piece for others in the future! :D

Went for my first post-marathon jog last night. Had been walking a fair bit each day because the legs were so stiff but they were fine running once I opened them up a little and managed 6.75km in 33 minutes before the strain of the legs was a little uncomfortable.

I'm just going to run for fun over the next few weeks until I have some sort of goal to aim for. I feel like I should sign up for a 10k/miler soon to see if the marathon helps any bit with the times.

Probably won't bother logging until I have something to aim for since I'm pretty bad at keeping it up anyway. I also need to invest in a GPS watch so I'm thinking of getting the Forerunner 10 since it seems the cheapest and most cheerful entry watch. Any recommendations?

To date my PBs are:

10 miles: - 01:22:45 - South-East Solas Centre Run for Life 2012

Half-Marathon: - 01:53:22 - Wexford Half Marathon 2013

Marathon: - 04:27:53 - Waterford Viking Marathon 2013

As pitiful and all as those look at least I have a benchmark to work from.

Can't find a thread anywhere but any advice on recovery post-marathon. Went for three or four handy runs over the past week. How long should I be waiting before getting back into things properly or should I just listen to my body?

Advertisement