Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus Eireann strike - services have resumed (Read first post)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wexford Bus are accepting full payments in advance for what will only get you third priority of getting on their services going on their list. Something seriously dodgy if people who have paid in full for a specific service get turned away, however if they can cope with the demand going forward it'll do huge huge damage to BE on that route. Particularly as Wexford Bus were already cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Happyman42 wrote: »
    BE never winced when they wanted to raise fares. Fuel prices have risen and 14 euros Dundalk/Dublin return doesn't seem extortinate to me.

Yes 14 euro is not bad but it'll bit like the Local Property Tax. It'll be doubled before we know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Yes 14 euro is not bad but it'll bit like the Local Property Tax. It'll be doubled before we know it.

Doubt it, there is only so much the marrket can take.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Strike suspended for 48 hours while negotiations take place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Very sensible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Wish is driver's knew this as quickly.

Is there a source, not doubting you but with some lads due a 5 am start this is late notice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Patser wrote: »

Is there a source, not doubting you but with some lads due a 5 am start this is late notice.

It is being reported on RTE now.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/334068731812651009
    Bus Éireann services will operate tomorrow after management and unions agreed to "pull back" for 48 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

Good news :)
    Lets hope they don't go back on strike after 48 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Patser wrote: »

Its not as if he has been in work till 10 tonight is it. He's had the day off so should be ready to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Stinicker wrote: »
    Striking workers should be told to report to work tomorrow morning or they will have their employment terminated with immediate effect.
    good idea, then we can tripple your tax to pay for their wellfare.
    Earning in excess of €800 a week to drive a bus is a sick joke
    no it isn't, with the Responsibility of up to 50 people's lives in your hands its worth such a wage
    I'd gladly drive buses for half that
    not of the standard required i'm afraid, otherwise known as, wouldn't be good enough, and i wouldn't want someone with such attitude driving any bus i use
    so would plenty of the other half a million people on the dole.
    they wouldn't last a day many of them, many are also unemployable to
    The Government should start the privatization of Bus Eireann immediately after this
    just because they have the balls to strike and you can't? life isn't fair so deal with it, their entitled to strike and striking they are, theirs enough private companies in ireland so no need for privatisation of Bus Eireann, ireland must have at all costs a state run transport system to complament the private services, some private operators wouldn't wish to have anything to do with some of the routes run by Bus Eireann
    their fares are far too high to begin with
    yes, but what are you doing about it? nothing
    with their drivers earning nearly a grand a week
    jealous aren't we, most are worth every penny
    there is plenty space for a private company
    their are a number of them in the country, leave them do what their doing
    cut the fat
    not much fat to be had in Bus Eireann these days, unless you mean the amount of management? can easily be done without privatisation
    lower fares
    that can be easily done by employing good management in Bus Eireann
    offer a competitive choice.
    all ready exists on many routes, the routes it doesn't, is because probably no other operator is interested.
    It is meant to be a public transport service
    it is, its not perfect but it is better then nothing which if you get your way and its privatised their are a number of routes which will go even though they have a social roll to play.
    not an old boys club like it currently exists.
    grow up

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Its not as if he has been in work till 10 tonight is it. He's had the day off so should be ready to go.

I believe he means some people may already have gone to bed, or may not read the rte website so they would be unaware that the dispute is suspended.

This is all a farce BE drivers should not be on strike the company has no legal right to alter a contract without agreement. You guys have just been softened up to accept a deal after losing 2 days pay.

Expect a slightly modified deal with a small management wage cut.

Ask your union why they did not defend your rights when the company breached your contract, there is also the payment of wages act 1991 they can not make deductions from your wages.

If i was you i would be questioning what the hell your unions have been at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Because he should be checking boards or RTE Twitter 5 hours before he'd have to get up to go to work? That's after a day on picket duty not sitting beside a pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

How dare the unions hold the traveling public to ransom when they earn so much as it is
    a load of claptrap, you can well get around if you can be bothered, nobody holding anyone to ransom, best thing is theirs hell all you can do about the strikers, and you really need to get over the fact they get more then you, begrudgery isn't a nice quality to have
    Management should bring in drivers from the UK and Eastern Europe to drive the buses at lower costs if the Irish drivers are unwilling to get real with the wage levels.
    and we should double the driving time each day for each driver and cut training and maintenance to, then we should tripple your taxes to pay for the jobless irish drivers.
    It is the exact same situation as the Taxi drivers before.
    taxi drivers have nothing to do with anything here

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

BenShermin wrote: »
    Ive seen the online pictures on Merchant's Quay. However, on the RTÉ news the bus was illigally blocked nowhere near a BÉ stop by a gang of drivers, it definitely looked like the Bridge Street/McCurtain street area.

Regardless, the carry on in Cork today was irresponsible and downright thuggish. Why did they have to act like that, after all the Dublin picket is allowing Ulsterbus to operate.

Any sympathy I had for the plight of the drivers in this dispute went out the window as soon as I saw that clip on the news earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

It's likely a fair number of drivers (and other staff) on early duties will not find out about the resumption in time. Not everyone would still be up after 11 reading rte.ie. Also with other grades also out I doubt a full roster is in place for tomorrow, this would normally be compiled by lunchtime the previous day.

We will all be back in as soon as possible but passengers should expect that not everything will run as normal particularly early AM.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Shocking and disgraceful action there is the news piece about GoBE.

Those drivers in the video should be identified and they should face disciplinary action (i.e. be fired).

The Gardai should have been called and these gents removed from the public road and arrested if they didn't comply.

Forcing a private bus to stop and forcing passengers off the bus, is despicable. I've now lost any sympathy I had for them.

Glad to hear that calm heads have prevailed and that the strike has been temporarily called off and they are talking again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Expect some disruption in the morning as services return to normal.

http://www.buseireann.ie/news.php?id=1298&month=May
    Resumption of Bus Éireann services

Bus Éireann would like to advise customers that the industrial action is suspended for 48 hours. Bus Éireann will seek to operate as many services as possible from the morning of Tuesday the 14th of May 2013. Customers are advised to check www.buseireann.ie from 06:30am and national and local media for latest updates on the operation of services.

Monday, 13th May, 2013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

no it isn't, with the Responsibility of up to 50 people's lives in your hands its worth such a wage
    drivers working for private companies seem to manage just fine under such stress without the extra pay and perks
    it is, its not perfect but it is better then nothing which if you get your way and its privatised their are a number of routes which will go even though they have a social roll to play.
    Such routes would surely be subsidised in the same way that bus éireann services are subsidised only with private companies the drivers wages would be less?

bk wrote: »
    The Gardai should have been called and these gents removed from the public road and arrested if they didn't comply.

The Gardai were called, and left soon after while allowing the action continue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

I've lost any sympathy I've had with the BÉ drivers myself.

I use BÉ services every time I'm in Cork, I certainly wouldn't like one of the drivers pictured on today's news being behind the wheel of a bus that I have to use. The drivers will tell you that they're responsible for the safety of tens of passengers when they're driving, yet none of the drivers involved in today's disgusting behaviour thought about road safety did they??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The Gardai were called, and left soon after while allowing the action continue.
    I hope there is an inquiry on why the Gardaí didn't do their job of dispersing the strikers away from the privately operated bus, and discipline the offending Gardaí if their reason for doing so was not in the publics best interests, but in that of the strikers best interests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

the_syco wrote: »
    I hope there is an inquiry on why the Gardaí didn't do their job of dispersing the strikers away from the privately operated bus, and discipline the offending Gardaí if their reason for doing so was not in the publics best interests, but in that of the strikers best interests?

you're mad for the discipline!

just saw the video. certainly looks worse than the still photos I had seen earlier in the day. Unfortunately GoBE was always going to be a muddy issue in this action especially with a bus leaving from a bus eireann bus stop with small BE branding. Have to feel for the passengers on the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

Normally my bus is usually half full but only 4 on it this morning but all working fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Seems many people didn't hear about the strike suspension or had already made other arrangements. Travelling on the normally busy 7am Arklow-Dublin this morning and just 13 people on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Victor wrote: »
    None of your business.

Why you so angry? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

I wouldn't think there would be any inquiry. Over the years i notice that they are very reluctant to get involved when there are disputes. Remember the recent taxi protest up in Dublin airport, where taxi's were notified they were being moved out of "the kesh" holding area. Well they pretty much blocked road access into the airport in a slow protest, and hardly any attempt was made to move them on.
    Passengers had to get out of their cars/busses and carry all their luggage from the main road to the terminal, many missed their flights.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The Garda will just say what happened when O'Connell Street was blocked by taximen who errected speakers and tables in the middle of O'Connell Street:

"Everyone has a right to protest"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

devnull wrote: »
    The Garda will just say what happened when O'Connell Street was blocked by taximen who errected speakers and tables in the middle of O'Connell Street:

"Everyone has a right to protest"

Unfortunately this doesnt involve the forceful eviction of the public from a private bus.

listermint wrote: »
    Unfortunately this doesnt involve the forceful eviction of the public from a private bus.

I don't think that was actually the case? The bus was prevented from picking up passengers, nearly certain that no one was 'evicted' as you seem to suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

what exactly is the drivers problems anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I don't think that was actually the case? The bus was prevented from picking up passengers, nearly certain that no one was 'evicted' as you seem to suggest.

They wouldn't let the driver away until all passengers vacated the bus

Edit: so I've heard

They wouldn't let the driver away until all passengers vacated the bus

Edit: so I've heard

Wasn't aware of that, I had thought it was just prevented from picking people up at the first stop. I can understand why some of those intending to travel were visibly upset then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

going by the video on rte news yesterday The bus was loaded and on the road but got blocked by bus eireann striking workers who told the driver they would let him leave but only with an empty bus.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Interesting, GoBE is back to running normal service today, however they continue not to use the bus stations!

Sign that they expect the strike to resume? Or perhaps a break down in the relationship between GoBus and BE?

Also was there not a GoBE twitter and facebook accounts, I can't find them now!

To be honest, I think the GoBus service would do much better without BE involvement at all.

In case someone from GoBE is reading this, the message at the top of gobe.ie page doesn't mention the new stop location in Cork.

Also the news section on the gobus.ie site hasn't been updated yet with the news that the service is back up and running. The last article is from yesterday and says the service isn't running, so that may cause confusion.

The RTE news piece clearly shows that uniformed employees * of BE surrounded a bus with passengers on board and would only leave the bus leave when the passengers got off.

I've heard elsewhere that video was taken showing these staff verbally abusing and threatening the passengers on the GoBE coach.

Absolutely awful carry on, total bully boy, thuggish and criminal actions, no excuse for it at all.

* Given they were in uniform and have shamed the company, they should really be fired for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The RTE news piece clearly shows that uniformed employees * of BE surrounded a bus with passengers on board and would only leave the bus leave when the passengers got off.

I've heard elsewhere that video was taken showing these staff verbally abusing and threatening the passengers on the GoBE coach.

Absolutely awful carry on, total bully boy, thuggish and criminal actions, no excuse for it at all.

* Given they were in uniform and have shamed the company, they should really be fired for this.

In a nut shell yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

GoBÉ drivers were definitely intimidated yesterday by BÉ picketers. There's enough photographic evidence and video evidence on-line to support that fact. If I was a driver for GoBÉ I would be afraid to drive a bus next to near Parnell Place Station today after yesterday's antics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Well at least BE can make some immediate savings by sacking those thugs. Its a start.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well at least BE can make some immediate savings by sacking those thugs. Its a start.
    I imagine these employees are quite safe - with the unions in talks nobody would dare address this disgusting behaviour for fear the NRBU would walk out of talks. Not sure it'd be defensible but they'd no doubt try and spin it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

cdebru wrote: »
    Cuts to overtime rates and holidays are unreasonable when there is so much money being wasted and it is only focussed on the shift workers. Especially as I understand some overtime is built into shifts so it is effectively compulsary overtime.

Its not focused solely on the shift workers though. Clerical, administration and executive staff all were asked to work 39 instead of 36 hours as well as holidays for all being cut.
    Yes I did and noticed a lot of the stuff been put out there and all the rumours that drivers are on such high inflated wages is a joke.
    Even talking about longer hours where that is for clerical staff working 36 up to 39hours.

There are a lot of areas to save money as in start interlinking with the trains and bring fares down so to get more to travel.
    The tax rebate on fuel was scrapped.
    Cut down the number of journey's off peak that aren't carrying.
    Overall the complete system needs an overhaul as it's set back in the 60s-70s.
    Including the payment system set up for paying for free travel which is under estimated.
    Try and get the bus times/timetables to run smoother or give better running time.

I could keep going on.

Yes, yet wages are 60% of this failing companies costs. They need to be addressed as recommended by the independent labour relations boards. Many of the recommendations are common sense - who works a 36 hour week and who gets lunch money in this day and age :/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Varadkar seems to be dancing around the issue. It seems he is only the Minister for Transport when it suits him.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/varadkar-i-told-bus-eireann-not-to-press-ahead-with-cost-cutting-29265627.html
    Speaking on his way into the cabinet meeting this morning, Mr Varadkar said he asked the company “some weeks ago” to delay changing workers terms and conditions as part of moves to save €5m a year
    “It’s not the case that I made any instruction to the company in recent weeks. I’m the Minister for Transport but Bus Eireann is a company in its own right. It has its own board, its own chief executive, and they are the ones who run the company. And they have my full support in the efforts that they are making to save the company.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

I'm not defending the BE Strikers here by any means but I presume the reason they picketed the GOBE bus was because it was using BE Bus Stops at Merchants Quay.

As such it would have made no difference in picketing terms to have a GOBE bus departing from the bus station itself as it would have from the Merchants Quay stops?

BE & GOBE should probably have put a little more thought into re-locating the service, then again maybe they knew exactly what they were doing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

TINA1984 wrote: »
    I'm not defending the BE Strikers here by any means but I presume the reason they picketed the GOBE bus was because it was using BE Bus Stops at Merchants Quay.

As such it would have made no difference in picketing terms to have a GOBE bus departing from the bus station itself as it would have from the Merchants Quay stops?

BE & GOBE should probably have put a little more thought into re-locating the service, then again maybe they knew exactly what they were doing ;)

The video on the news is on MacCurtain Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

you're mad for the discipline!
    Mainly because the Gardaí have an attitude that they won't stop anyone creating hassle when under the banner of "striking".

Going forward, if anyone creates a disturbance under the banner of "striking" (ie; creating chaos far from their place of work), they should be charged. Otherwise, the next strike would see them blocking more than just the GoBus.

It isn't very clear from the gobe.ie site which bus stop they are now using in Cork.

The message at the top of the site doesn't mention the stop location in Cork, but does mention it for Dublin.

Further down the page on the schedule, they mention Patricks Quay in Cork as the stop, which would be the Aircoach/Citylink stop.

Can anyone confirm this is the stop they are using now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Also was there not a GoBE twitter and facebook accounts, I can't find them now!

On Twitter, at least, I think they just used the GoBus one.

It isn't very clear from the gobe.ie site which bus stop they are now using in Cork.

The message at the top of the site doesn't mention the stop location in Cork, but does mention it for Dublin.

Further down the page on the schedule, they mention Patricks Quay in Cork as the stop, which would be the Aircoach/Citylink stop.

Can anyone confirm this is the stop they are using now?

if that's the case then they have changed from yesterday where they were using BE city bus stops on Merchant's quay. Probably should have gone from Patricks Quay in the first place not to risk passing a picket so to speak.

to clear up what happened yesterday from the video and earlier photographs... BE drivers had picketed GoBE buses at the merchants quay stop, despite this it looks like one GoBE bus was able to depart before being stopped on Macurtain st. This is where the more regrettable action occured.

to be clear.. there was a picket on Merchants Quay as well./\

Going forward, if anyone creates a disturbance under the banner of "striking" (ie; creating chaos far from their place of work), they should be charged. Otherwise, the next strike would see them blocking more than just the GoBus.

tbf other private services weren't using BE bus stops to depart from, so I'd imagine there would be no action against them. Not excusing the action on Macurtain st though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Vic_08 wrote: »
    It's likely a fair number of drivers (and other staff) on early duties will not find out about the resumption in time. Not everyone would still be up after 11 reading rte.ie. Also with other grades also out I doubt a full roster is in place for tomorrow, this would normally be compiled by lunchtime the previous day.

We will all be back in as soon as possible but passengers should expect that not everything will run as normal particularly early AM.

I understand the problem.

But ...

If the union has the communications mechanisms in place to tell drivers to turn up for picket lines and not work, then I'd expect them to use the same mechanisms to tell the lads to go to work!

Advertisement