Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealer with Sako 85 in .308

Options
  • 09-05-2013 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Looking for a Sako 85 in .308 synthetic with stainless barrel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

I have the very rifle, it's a beautiful piece of kit...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 sealice

viper123 wrote: »
    I have the very rifle, it's a beautiful piece of kit...

Hi viper. They look the job where did u buy or what kind of money are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

I'll send you a PM...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭silverfox1

sealice wrote: »
    Looking for a Sako 85 in .308 synthetic with stainless barrel

Red mills had one last time I was over there.

silverfox1 wrote: »
    Red mills had one last time I was over there.

Thanks for where is red mills?

• Advertisement

sealice wrote: »
    Thanks for where is red mills?

It's in goresbridge in kilkenny.

It's in goresbridge in kilkenny.

Thanks million for that

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I am told that the Salo 85 is not as good as the older 75 mainly due to an inferior stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

2011 wrote: »
    I am told that the Salo 85 is not as good as the older 75 mainly due to an inferior stock.

Not inferior just different.

The Model 85 rifles can be identified by their American classic (straight comb) stocks; the 75 series rifles come with California-style Monte Carlo stocks.

I'm running around getting prices at the minute for. Sako 85 Varmint in .204, I think you will find it hard to get one until Baretta (Sako's Overloards) and the Importer kiss and make up over some petchulant spat, meeting on Monday from what I've heard on the Grape Vine.

If they can't sort it out, bypass the Children and go the UK route.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭richiedel123

Red mills had one last time I was over there.[/quote

I seen that too. It's a smashing gun. The time I was there it was 1650 new which was a great price I taught, but they wouldn't trade in so I couldn't get it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The Aussie wrote: »
    Not inferior just different.
    ..... and far more flexible.

I seen that too. It's a smashing gun. The time I was there it was 1650 new which was a great price I taught, but they wouldn't trade in so I couldn't get it
    Nothing new there Richie. Pity because it used to be a great place to do a bit of a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

First I have heard, and I've handled a good few and spoken to even more owners.....

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I dont agree.
    The stocks are different but the 85 stock is just as stiff as the 75.
    I had a sako 75 and now have a sako 85.
    Both are great rifles and I found no difference in accuracy between them.
    I prefer the lighter weight and smoother bolt of the 85 and the magazine release system is also an improvement.

zeissman wrote: »
    I dont agree.
    The stocks are different but the 85 stock is just as stiff as the 75.
    I had a sako 75 and now have a sako 85.
    Both are great rifles and I found no difference in accuracy between them.
    I prefer the lighter weight and smoother bolt of the 85 and the magazine release system is also an improvement.

I am a fan of Sako rifles full stop. My friend owns an 85 and I have a 75. He had issues when using a bipod. His complaint was that the forend was flexing.
    He changed for an aftermarket stock and has been delighted with the rifle since.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭sikastag

I am a fan of Sako rifles full stop. My friend owns an 85 and I have a 75. He had issues when using a bipod. His complaint was that the forend was flexing.
    He changed for an aftermarket stock and has been delighted with the rifle since.

Thats interesting! Have the 85 synthetic stainless myself, no issues like that with it. By any chance would the gun in question your friend owns be an 85 Finnlight? Slightly different gun.

FYI for OP - J.Joyce, Westport has a few Sako's in stock. Both new and s/h. I know he has a few new 75's beleive it or not. Yes, new and never fired. Part of a collection at some stage I think. May be worth giving him a shout, if he doesnt have it he may be able to order it or get a price.

Sika

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Have heard of this issue before too

sikastag wrote: »
    By any chance would the gun in question your friend owns be an 85 Finnlight? Slightly different gun.

Yes, you are correct.
    I thought that the only difference was a shorter fluted barrel ?

Yes, you are correct.
    I thought that the only difference was a shorter fluted barrel ?

Thought that might be the case. AFAIK the stock also is different. There may have been a while when both were produced with same stock but from what I can see the Finnlight has stock with rubber grips (lighter grey colour) at fore end and pistol grip whereas the 85 synthetic has a recessed chequered area in the same mentioned areas and is all the same material.

I was looking into getting the 85 Finnlight but was steered away as I had heard there was issues (not specified what though) with them. I never handled one and they look like a cracking little gun but a few people I know heavily depend on the 85 synthetic for field use and swore by them. I went with that and I can stand over mine and say its a workhorse too.

The only rifles ive seen with flexible fore-ends are the steyr prohunters.
    Very flexible stocks. Not my cup of tea at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Myself and my mate bought 2 sako 85 rifles when they first came out.
    Our rifles have black stocks with green coloured rubber grips but the stocks are quite stiff and we never had any problems with them.
    My mate bought a new tikka t3 lite recently but it didnt shoot well.
    We noticed that the barrel was touching the stock at the sides so he freefloated it and it made a huge difference. shooting great now.

• Advertisement

zeissman wrote: »
    Myself and my mate bought 2 sako 85 rifles when they first came out.
    Our rifles have black stocks with green coloured rubber grips but the stocks are quite stiff and we never had any problems with them.
    My mate bought a new tikka t3 lite recently but it didnt shoot well.
    We noticed that the barrel was touching the stock at the sides so he freefloated it and it made a huge difference. shooting great now.

Yeah, have to say have never heard of any of the sakos having stock issues. Not to say it doesnt happen, but i'd probably guess it is not all that common. Surprised to hear that about the Tikka, have had a few and they all shot perfect out of the box. Maybe it was put together on a monday morning/fri evening in the factory??

Once the steyrs are made free floating, they shoot no bother either. Just my 2c but I do prefer something I dont have to go fiddling with after paying out. I thinks the sako/tikkas generally fit that bill.

I put a McMillan stock on my Sako 75.
    Great combination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

If you are going to go 'overseas' to buy these guys often do a combo deal that can be very good value - sight, bipod, etc.

Advertisement