Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport to Cork Sunday - Bus Strike

Options
  • 09-05-2013 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, is anyone aware of private bus companies operating routes between Cork & Waterford? It is for a UCC student who is not normaly in Waterford so not aware of alternatives to Bus Éireann. Hate to look for an alternative to swerve a strike but the student has really important exams. Train options are via Heuston, travel time of around six hours. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Don't know of any private services on that route :\

The last time Bus Eireann called a strike, they decided against it closer to the time. That was a few months ago. So hopefully they will all calm down and resolve their difficulties, or attempt to, before Sunday without impacting people.

Why doesn't the student go up / come down the night before?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

Hi, is anyone aware of private bus companies operating routes between Cork & Waterford? It is for a UCC student who is not normaly in Waterford so not aware of alternatives to Bus Éireann. Hate to look for an alternative to swerve a strike but the student has really important exams. Train options are via Heuston, travel time of around six hours. Thanks

if the exams are that important couldnt he just travel on saturday or stay down there like the rest of the students will have to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

OP sorry no help regarding the bus strike but i love your user name its class. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Bus Eireann have a monopoly on the Cork route. This partly explains why the service in my experience is rubbish, and the cost of tickets are so high, but I digress.

I think that there will be private companies brought in to accomodate passengers. On a Sunday this is a very busy route at the best of times, so you'd want to get there early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

What about the bus that stops outside St John's church?

I forget their name, used to use them years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    What about the bus that stops outside St John's church?

I forget their name, used to use them years ago.
    Kavanagh's don't go to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Kavanagh's don't go to Cork.

They used to but I guess I'm going back over 15 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    They used to but I guess I'm going back over 15 years ago.

Don't think it's arrived yet. Last spotted somewhere around Youghal I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Bus Eireann have a monopoly on the Cork route. This partly explains why the service in my experience is rubbish

whats rubbish about the service, having an hourly services is a fantastic service and people are lucky it hasn't being cut back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    whats rubbish about the service, having an hourly services is a fantastic service and people are lucky it hasn't being cut back.

Things are normally pretty messy at the Cork end. You have huge crowds trying to get on buses at peak times, and all day on Friday when the colleges are open. I live in Dublin now, but a couple of years ago when I was down there, you'd need to get down to the station about 45 mins beforehand to be certain of getting a seat.

Often they'd hastily throw another couple of buses on to accomodate the extra passengers. When they did, they'd let everyone on without asking them where they were going. As a result there would be three buses going to stopping in Midleton & Youghal when they could have filled full bus of Waterford City people, another full of Dungarvan people, and the rest with Cork people.

Moving to Dublin, you can arrive in the station at 5 mins before the departure time, and hop on a DIRECT bus to Waterford. They know there will be demand, and plan ahead for it. It's not rocket science.

Also, the ticket from Dublin is about a third cheaper than coming from Cork. I realise that there is a subsidy for Dublin routes, but I'm not sure if it's that much, or if Kavanagh's get it. I don't see why any operator should have a monopoly on such a busy route.

Anyway, this is going well off topic - apologies to the OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Cant connect to wlrfm, anyone know what's the story for tomorrow for city service. 95% success today and to continue into tomorrow and the following days unless intervention takes place.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Cant connect to wlrfm, anyone know what's the story for tomorrow for city service. 95% success today and to continue into tomorrow and the following days unless intervention takes place.

All bus services by Bus Eireann are not operating until the strike is called off. There is no indication this will be happening anytime soon, but who knows. I advise you to watch national media websites or the Bus Eireann Facebook page for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jenniebravo

Travel on Saturday was not an option for us. We arranged a lift with someone in a similar situation. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

hardybuck wrote: »
    Things are normally pretty messy at the Cork end. You have huge crowds trying to get on buses at peak times, and all day on Friday when the colleges are open. I live in Dublin now, but a couple of years ago when I was down there, you'd need to get down to the station about 45 mins beforehand to be certain of getting a seat.

Often they'd hastily throw another couple of buses on to accomodate the extra passengers. When they did, they'd let everyone on without asking them where they were going. As a result there would be three buses going to stopping in Midleton & Youghal when they could have filled full bus of Waterford City people, another full of Dungarvan people, and the rest with Cork people.

Moving to Dublin, you can arrive in the station at 5 mins before the departure time, and hop on a DIRECT bus to Waterford. They know there will be demand, and plan ahead for it. It's not rocket science.

Also, the ticket from Dublin is about a third cheaper than coming from Cork. I realise that there is a subsidy for Dublin routes, but I'm not sure if it's that much, or if Kavanagh's get it. I don't see why any operator should have a monopoly on such a busy route.

Anyway, this is going well off topic - apologies to the OP!

It has improved but this is where the problem is and why they are on strike, extra bus = extra driver on overtime = preium pay and overtime on Sundays as whats requried on Fridays will be on Sundays. These costs are what the company want stopped.

Advertisement