Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

457 Sponsor Change - Repayment of Relocation costs

Options
  • 09-05-2013 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

So I feel I am not getting a good competitive wage and now a Mercer study requested by my company showed that the Melbourne office is the lowest paid comparing all the company's offices globally and that the wages are under the market competitive rate.

They paid for a bunch of relocation costs, around 15 grand it comes to. If I leave will I be legally liable to pay some of these costs back? The company says yes but I am not sure if it is a scare tactic. The company is about 80% expats.

The signed 3 year contract states that costs may have to be paid back if leaving the company for unjustified reasons, it also states the contract is valid as long as it is in line with Victoria's laws. Wondering if anyone has experience of this kind of situation and if the company have a leg to stand on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

crazy8 wrote: »
    They paid for a bunch of relocation costs, around 15 grand it comes to. If I leave will I be legally liable to pay some of these costs back?
    That is nothing to do with the 457 visa and comes down to the contract you signed.
    The signed 3 year contract states that costs may have to be paid back if leaving the company for unjustified reasons
    There's your answer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭dartup

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭crazy8

Cheers for the link dartup. Will read up a bit on the fair work act.

I get the impression they are getting expats in on the cheap and scaring them into thinking they are tied in with the threat of repayment of relocation costs paid by the company.

Advertisement