Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Ballybeg Petrol Station doors locked

Options
  • 09-05-2013 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

I was in Tesco Ballybeg petrol station today at around 3pm and the doors were locked to enter the shop, I asked the attendant who was working there why the doors were closed and she told me because of some of the people who were living down the road tried to come in and she told them they were banned after stealing the last time they were in the people left and said they were gonna come back and DO you with all their friends, so the doors were locked, in mid day. Is this how bad things have gotten in this area?

How can these people get away with it, they were recorded on CCTV and they were recorded stealing, I asked her were tesco going to do anything and she said no. how can these people be let off with this sort of behaviour? I think its disgraceful that tesco are unwilling to follow it up and leave staff face this danger in such a way, could they not even contact Pavee point? how is an area suppose to get better with these people dragging it down and threatening people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I wonder where this thread is going ....hark is that a set of keys I hear

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

pavee point will spin the usual reply that its only a small minority who cause trouble. the guards don't want to know and the press won't touch it with a bargepole.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

Strange, because I came out of the office at 3 and went to Tesco and there were no signs of any trouble down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I wonder where this thread is going ....hark is that a set of keys I hear

No its not fair to say that, this is the truth you go to Tesco and ask them why they have their doors locked at that time of day, Okay it wasnt exactly 3 could have been 3.30 or 4 but it was def no later than 4, this is the truth and i dont see why we have to put up with their anit social behaviour and sweeping it under the rug or turning a blind eye to it isnt going to sort it, they need to be stood upto.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

I agree with you spankmemunkey but these people could teach us all a thing or two about how to play the system. speak the truth and they cry discrimination. guards would rather give you or me a fine for having not wearing a seatbelt than have to knock on their door!

• Advertisement

leduke wrote: »
    I agree with you spankmemunkey but these people could teach us all a thing or two about how to play the system. speak the truth and they cry discrimination. guards would rather give you or me a fine for having not wearing a seatbelt than have to knock on their door!

I agree with you but this is just going to go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and Ballybeg is getting a bad name cos of it. how it the area suppose to drag itself up with these people dragging it down? how are we suppose to be a good community and pull together with this big elephant in the room? they are trying to sell property there to build to create something, nobody in their right minds in going to invest in property there and build on that tesco site with that Shanty town accross from it, that land is owned by Waterford City Council and was suppose to be clear by now and it still hasnt been.

Look they have them on CCTV they know who they are yet this is just being let slide, is there no way these people can be sat down and told this is the situation your kids were recorded on CCTV stealing and we let it slide you were barred as a result and now you come down and tell us in the middle of the day were going to come back and DO YOU so shop workers in the middle of the day for the sake of 8.95 an hour have to fear for their lives and pay taxes that by the way keep them in their LIFESTYLE?

This thread cant be banned its not a lie were not making it up it has been documented it has to stop something has to be done about this behaviour and people have to stop accepting it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If this is going to go in the direction that you tried to go with other threads, than I would say it will end up being locked. We get you don't like the Ballybeg area but I don't think its fair to start a thread about it and keep bringing it up. This is at least the third time you have brought up about anti social behaviour around Ballybeg and twice in Tesco IIRC.

I have seen shops in the best of areas get hassle, get robbed, get threatened and so on and so forth. Its not just Ballybeg that has its bag eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Tesco are just managing the problem. Society and the Government should be fixing the problem with the law makers etc.
    Can you possibly imagine how much time and effort it would take Tescos and similar sized stores and businesses to deal with every single theft, idle threat, misdemeanor etc. ? They would have to have to employ extra legal staff, security, councellors and all the other crap that comes with it. If they dealt with every single issue I'm sure it would have an impact on pricing. We would end up paying Superquinn prices for Tescos quality, then we would all lose out.
    It is not Tescos problem that they are forced to close doors due to security issues just like late night garages everywhere.
    Certain members of the community are and always will be trouble but it's up to us to manage it, we are no different in putting in alarms in our houses, security lights, better door locks, rabid devil dogs, barbed wire, shotguns, tasers, the wife, broken glass and the odd hurley.
    I'm sure the Gardai are just as frustrated as normal society but what more can they do with the man power that is available ?

By the way, I cannot understand the way the "T" word is so taboo on Boards ? They also have a right to reply like any other part of society, nationality, hair colour etc. and correct, defend themselves if unjustly critisized or judged.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

Sully wrote: »
    If this is going to go in the direction that you tried to go with other threads, than I would say it will end up being locked. We get you don't like the Ballybeg area but I don't think its fair to start a thread about it and keep bringing it up. This is at least the third time you have brought up about anti social behaviour around Ballybeg and twice in Tesco IIRC.

I have seen shops in the best of areas get hassle, get robbed, get threatened and so on and so forth. Its not just Ballybeg that has its bag eggs.
    sure shops get robbed everywhere but if what the op is saying is true it is highly unusual for a petrol station to have its doors locked at 3/4 pm. many in dublin do this at night due to security reasons and less staff but i have never come across one anywhere with doors shut at this time

No that isnt fair your prejudice now against me cos we had difference of opinions on here, lets park that.

Im not having a go at Tesco far from it, Im not having a go at Ballybeg far from it, Im having ago at why we cant give out about certain people we have to behave like their special and allowed to get away with things, the woman i was talking to today was locked into her work place and why should we not be allowed to complain about their behaviour? why should we have to sweep it under the rug and not document it.

Believe it or not i want this are to be better to get better and avoiding a situation or allowing certain people to threaten the very people who are working paying their taxes so they can live their existense they want to as members of the travelling community.

• Advertisement

you seem to have a genuine point on this thread. personally i cant see the problem but if you have upset a mod before it certainly works against you on boards. ive seen countless threads where mods have got involved because of previous posts and some certainly seem to like the power of judging

gowley wrote: »
    you seem to have a genuine point on this thread. personally i cant see the problem but if you have upset a mod before it certainly works against you on boards. ive seen countless threads where mods have got involved because of previous posts and some certainly seem to like the power of judging

Yeah i have to admit i hate agreeing with people sometimes and go against the grain:D thats fair enough ill admit that but im not gonna change my principles cos people dont agree with me. but lets stick to the original point.

We have a brand new shopping centre right an area on the up looking to the future bringing in jobs regenerating the are and its a kind of a let down that a certain element of society is allowed to change it to damage it to bring it down and were not allowed to complain or give out, from all the thread you read on here people are sick of it and im getting sick of it too they get away with so much it demoralising when you see something new coming you think great the are is getting better and then you see a garage with its doors locked before 4 oclock in the day cos if anti social behaviour and well death threats or threats of violence it just brings the are down, next theyll have bars up on the windows.

Why do we in this are tolerate this behaviour?

The only comment I would make is that perversely this and the recent urbanisation started by the building of Tesco will actually regulate the behaviour of all unruly elements in the area.

The only comment I would make is that perversely this and the recent urbanisation started by the building of Tesco will actually regulate the behaviour of all unruly elements in the area.

Wow good writing. Im not stirring it im not putting an area down im just sayin why do we have to tolerate this behaviour.

I get what your saying about regeneration will push them aside but i seriously doubt that, as i said already who would want to build there now, imagine a developer going for juice for the car and not being allowed into the petrol station theyll have it susses cos they are in the business to get the feel of an area and they will know well who lives nearby and if the doors are locked it must be bad news, so why would they want to invest in that area now? its just making it worse for everybody and why should we tolerate it?

i have no scientific proof for this but i would imagine a lot of people living near tesco in ballybeg travel the longer distance to tesco in poleberry or ardkeen to do their shopping for the very reasons the op has mentioned.

i have no scientific proof for this but i would imagine a lot of people living near tesco in ballybeg travel the longer distance to tesco in poleberry or ardkeen to do their shopping for the very reasons the op has mentioned.
    I could not agree with this, I use this store and petrol station regularly and poleberry less so, it is a good well run store with no more problems than most.
    the petrol station has some problems with ferral kids at times and with only one member of staff it is the obvious SOP I would issue (standard operating procedure) locking the door and serving through the hatch .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

sure shops get robbed everywhere but if what the op is saying is true it is highly unusual for a petrol station to have its doors locked at 3/4 pm. many in dublin do this at night due to security reasons and less staff but i have never come across one anywhere with doors shut at this time

I don't think its locked all the time, I suspect it was just on that day the person behind the counter was a bit worried. I rarely use Tesco Petrol stations but the odd time I went there a year or so ago, I remember it being locked on one of those occasions. Tramore & Ardkeen were locked at 6pm there or there abouts for a good while now also. One of the petrol stations in Tramore (independent) asks for people to pay before pumping from 6pm.

Unsocial behaviour by youths is common and has occurred in most stores in Waterford at some stage or another. The difference is most stores have a number of staff members to deal with it where this lady was probably on her own and had no security or other staff member to back her up if something did go wrong. Even people on the Dunmore Road complained that the construction of Maxol petrol station would bring unsocial behaviour to the area.
    No that isnt fair your prejudice now against me cos we had difference of opinions on here, lets park that.

Don't be so melodramatic. Its a discussion forum, don't get all the opinions to go one way. I just think you seem to have a 'bee in your bonnet' about Ballybeg as I can recall a few times you bringing it up in various topics.
    Im not having a go at Tesco far from it, Im not having a go at Ballybeg far from it, Im having ago at why we cant give out about certain people we have to behave like their special and allowed to get away with things, the woman i was talking to today was locked into her work place and why should we not be allowed to complain about their behaviour? why should we have to sweep it under the rug and not document it.

Believe it or not i want this are to be better to get better and avoiding a situation or allowing certain people to threaten the very people who are working paying their taxes so they can live their existense they want to as members of the travelling community.

How do you know what is or isn't being done? She was on her own more than likely, as they always seem to be in the petrol station in Ballybeg, so she didn't feel comfortable after the threat. We don't know if she told her boss, if her boss told Gardai, if the Gardai did or didn't follow it up, if the youths in question were charged, if there was evidence that a crime was committed. You don't know for sure if the Gardai are not enforcing the law in parts of Ballybeg. You just report back what you hear from staff in Tesco (twice, IIRC, in the Petrol Station) and what you see (Tesco main store being broken into a number of times, you mentioned before).

I could not agree with this, I use this store and petrol station regularly and poleberry less so, it is a good well run store with no more problems than most.
    the petrol station has some problems with ferral kids at times and with only one member of staff it is the obvious SOP I would issue (standard operating procedure).
    fair enough but the ferral kids you talk about are obviously putting some people off. you only have to visit stores on a regular basis to see where the customers are going, they are not going to ballybeg for whatever reason. also poleberry doesnt have a petrol station. i dont deny its a well run store with good staff but its not pulling in the customers in volume it would expect

fair enough but the ferral kids you talk about are obviously putting some people off. you only have to visit stores on a regular basis to see where the customers are going, they are not going to ballybeg for whatever reason. also poleberry doesnt have a petrol station. i dont deny its a well run store with good staff but its not pulling in the customers in volume it would expect

I have no love for the litlle tykes myself and would kick seven living sh1ts out of them given half a chance but we can't let it grind us down ,

all your suspicons my be true sully but it doesnt change the facts that it is highly unusual for a petrol station to have its doors locked at 3/4 pm. with the tax the government take from sales of petrol the owners make very little. they rely on customers picking something else up in the shop that has better margin to make their profits. the maxol on the dunmore road opened regardless of objections from residents and is a very busy station that doesnt have its doors closed at anything like 3/4 pm. i cant comment on your experiences of stations closed at 6pm but i have never ever driven in to find the doors closed at 3/4pm or even 6pm

• Advertisement

all your suspicons my be true sully but it doesnt change the facts that it is highly unusual for a petrol station to have its doors locked at 3/4 pm. with the tax the government take from sales of petrol the owners make very little. they rely on customers picking something else up in the shop that has better margin to make their profits. the maxol on the dunmore road opened regardless of objections from residents and is a very busy station that doesnt have its doors closed at anything like 3/4 pm. i cant comment on your experiences of stations closed at 6pm but i have never ever driven in to find the doors closed at 3/4pm or even 6pm

Its not the first time nor will it be the last. As has been said, she probably felt unsafe on her own so locked up temporarily. Maybe it was only for a few hours, an hour, a few minutes until someone else came - who knows. It appears to be a once off incident, or very rare occurrence (the closing of the doors). We have absolutely no idea if Tesco is terrorised regularly, if the Guards are ever involved or if they are, if they do anything. The thread is one big assumption from an OP who has a bee in his bonnet about Ballybeg well before this thread.

I used the Dunmore Road as an example of a place that was apparently going to be receiving anti social behaviour but you wont see them close the doors, because as I already said, they have staff to deal with it. The lady in Tesco didn't and if she was anywhere else in Waterford on her own and it happened, I suspect she would do it again.

Tesco seem to have a policy of locking their doors in the evening, thought it was around 6pm. They definitely do, I just don't know the exact time they lock up. The petrol station in Tramore is pre-pay from 6pm and there are signs up indicating this and it is enforced.

i would say i would be a lot more intimidated when a certain type of customer came in in a group than a couple of young gougers. i still feel the op had a genuine point but hey we will agree to differ. tesco ballybeg is a very poor performing store but that might have nothing or everything to do with its location

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

It was a strange location for a Tesco given the one in Lisduggan which people are so used to, which is walking distance from Lisduggan, Lismore, Larchville and Ballybeg etc, the store in Ballybeg is really limited to Ballybeg (while sharing the market with Lisduggan and Lidl/Aldi which people are using more) and maybe the students in Templars?

Not a huge market base tbh.

I would use the shop now and then myself and have never had any issue there at all. Have heard of anti social behaviour up around the petrol station, but tbh, I have heard of or seen anti social behaviour in pretty much every petrol station located in or near a large housing estate.

Right, Firstly can we stop slinging mud and leave previous posts out of it?
    Your trying to discredit what i have to say and its petty.

Secondly its not Standard Operating Procedure to close the doors before 4pm cos it wasnt always like this, I have personal experience cos i leave not so far away and i speak regularly with the staff, the was an incident when little people from down the road were told they were barred and when they heard this they pulled a display down and took prinlges off the shelf, when i aksed would she report this to the guards she said no it wasnt her job to do that and Tesco wouldnt be doing it either as she later found out, and today she told the same people they were barred and they told her they would be back and DO HER with their friends when they returned, this was before 4pm, how can we tolerate this attitude?

We all know who it is and what they are, whey can we document this and put it to them, if it was any other element of society thats what would be done, what if it was Roma people would they be afforded the same lifestyle? NO why do we have to put up with it? tax payers hard working people who are paying tax to let them live like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Easier to close the doors to everyone than to refuse entry some.

Right, Firstly can we stop slinging mud and leave previous posts out of it?
    Your trying to discredit what i have to say and its petty.

Secondly its not Standard Operating Procedure to close the doors before 4pm cos it wasnt always like this, I have personal experience cos i leave not so far away and i speak regularly with the staff, the was an incident when little people from down the road were told they were barred and when they heard this they pulled a display down and took prinlges off the shelf, when i aksed would she report this to the guards she said no it wasnt her job to do that and Tesco wouldnt be doing it either as she later found out, and today she told the same people they were barred and they told her they would be back and DO HER with their friends when they returned, this was before 4pm, how can we tolerate this attitude?

We all know who it is and what they are, whey can we document this and put it to them, if it was any other element of society thats what would be done, what if it was Roma people would they be afforded the same lifestyle? NO why do we have to put up with it? tax payers hard working people who are paying tax to let them live like this!

Your previous posts, if on the same subject, are relevant.

Tesco aren't doing anything about it according to you, so if you feel that annoyed go speak with them. If the staff aren't happy, they can transfer out or leave. Whats happening at Tesco isn't uncommon away from Ballybeg. Closing up shop early is normal if she's on her own.

It appears Tesco are at fault from what your accusing them off, or at least repeating what you were apparently told. Thats a serious allegation to be making.

Your previous posts, if on the same subject, are relevant.

Tesco aren't doing anything about it according to you, so if you feel that annoyed go speak with them. If the staff aren't happy, they can transfer out or leave. Whats happening at Tesco isn't uncommon away from Ballybeg. Closing up shop early is normal if she's on her own.

It appears Tesco are at fault from what your accusing them off, or at least repeating what you were apparently told. Thats a serious allegation to be making.

I will leave it at that so cos you have another agenda

I will leave it at that so cos you have another agenda

I don't but I just remembered your earlier posts about Tesco Ballybeg and the people in the area. Your the one with the agenda it appears.

Oddly your going on about romas, tax payers, about documenting it etc. but its absolutely nothing to do with the tax payers. The woman works for a private company who, according to you, aren't reporting it to the Gardai. The Gardai can't do anything without a complaint and evidence.

Therefore, your complaint lies only with Tesco. Instead of ranting online, go to Tesco and ask to speak with the manager and explain your concerns. Perhaps ask the Guards to visit the staff member and Tesco?

Its not for Boards to discuss this imo as we don't know the full story - only what you heard which may not be the whole story. I'd fear the accusations made here may not go down well for you, the staff member or Boards. Its a private company, nothing to do with tax payers of residents of Ballybeg.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

To be fair there are incidents like this weekly up in Lisduggan and I'd imagine on Saturday nights in town we could have a dedicated forum for the **** that goes on. Now, like was said above the girl probably didn't feel safe after someone had a go at her. Thats what that set-up is there for

I will go out on a limb and say it wasn't her call, she probably rang the main shop and reported the incident and she was told to lock the doors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Why do we in this are tolerate this behaviour?

Because we all have multiple experiences stretching on for years of these things happening, the gardai doing nothing about it, the courts doing nothing about it and we have in general come to accept that certain people get away with this stuff regularly.

This behaviour, public drunkeness, abusiveness, littering, bad/unsafe road behaviour etc etc is not accepted in other countries but we along with the people in charge have a long history of looking the other way and this is what we are left with; a mess of a country. Only way to change it is to have higher standards yourself and to complain to the right people when applicable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement