Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Ballybeg Petrol Station doors locked

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

ziedth wrote: »
    To be fair there are incidents like this weekly up in Lisduggan

No they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    No they are not.

Perhaps weekly is an overstatement but believe me I work in the area and you do get a fair bit of flack. My point is if your fairly thick skinned it'll wash off you but a girl alone in a petrol station I can see why you'd be worried.

I'm sure it happens absolutely everywhere, for example my mam is a nurse up in Dungarvan and a gang of 15 odd year olds broke into the hospital when she was on nights and caused hassle. They were terrified and called the guards to hunt them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

OP just a note on this situation that you are highlighting , you seem to be making the situation alot more worse than what is it why dont you start a thread on how Maxol on the Cork road sometimes has to lock their doors during the night because of all the drunk people giving **** out there or how both Topaz stations on that same road do the exact same thing for the exact same reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

S28382 wrote: »
    OP just a note on this situation that you are highlighting , you seem to be making the situation alot more worse than what is it why dont you start a thread on how Maxol on the Cork road sometimes has to lock their doors during the night because of all the drunk people giving **** out there or how both Topaz stations on that same road do the exact same thing for the exact same reason.

Every Petrol station in existence that operates 24/7, closes their doors after 10pm. They then serve people through a hatch. It's safer and more cost friendly because they generally only have one attendant on duty.

Every Petrol station in existence that operates 24/7, closes their doors after 10pm. They then serve people through a hatch. It's safer and more cost friendly because they generally only have one attendant on duty.

Maxol keeps their doors open all night but whenever they get bother they will close the door during the night for about a week. And 10pm is not exactly a universal closing time for petrol stations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Maxol keeps their doors open all night but whenever they get bother they will close the door during the night for about a week. And 10pm is not exactly a universal closing time for petrol stations.

IT IS!!! IT'S ALWAYS 10PM!!!! IT'S THE LAW!!!

You know what i meant bud...10, 11....but it's a regular practise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Sully wrote: »
    I don't but I just remembered your earlier posts about Tesco Ballybeg and the people in the area. Your the one with the agenda it appears.

Oddly your going on about romas, tax payers, about documenting it etc. but its absolutely nothing to do with the tax payers. The woman works for a private company who, according to you, aren't reporting it to the Gardai. The Gardai can't do anything without a complaint and evidence.

Therefore, your complaint lies only with Tesco. Instead of ranting online, go to Tesco and ask to speak with the manager and explain your concerns. Perhaps ask the Guards to visit the staff member and Tesco?

Its not for Boards to discuss this imo as we don't know the full story - only what you heard which may not be the whole story. I'd fear the accusations made here may not go down well for you, the staff member or Boards. Its a private company, nothing to do with tax payers of residents of Ballybeg.

I think your blinded by your dislike for me on this one.

As far as being a Tax Payer i meant the woman working in the petrol station, shes working probably a minimum wage job and pays her taxes then she gets threatened by this section of community who by the way her taxes are paying for, They get everything for free they dont pay LPT on their halting site, they dont pay for the field to the council where their horses are they dont pay for their bins! NO THATS COS SHE DOES and every other tax payer.

My whole point is why do we have to tolerate this behaviour? if it was any other section of society they wouldnt get away with it, I have a neighbour not far away from us who was threatened and told we will bring our lot down on you if you keep calling the guards cos our horses are loose. I mean they get away with so much and we have a right as tax payers to say right enough is enough, we contribute to the locality by paying our taxes and i would say most people in general want to see the area on the up not being dragged down! so were all dancing around the pink elephant here we all know who they are but nobody is willing to do or say anything about them!

I have been reading other threads and people have had enough, Im not having a go at the area or the shop just the people who seem determined to drag the area down. Ive seen first hand what their little off spring do for fun in the area and its not nice but then the guards can do nothing cos they are under age.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Because we all have multiple experiences stretching on for years of these things happening, the gardai doing nothing about it, the courts doing nothing about it and we have in general come to accept that certain people get away with this stuff regularly.

This behaviour, public drunkeness, abusiveness, littering, bad/unsafe road behaviour etc etc is not accepted in other countries but we along with the people in charge have a long history of looking the other way and this is what we are left with; a mess of a country. Only way to change it is to have higher standards yourself and to complain to the right people when applicable.

BANG ON! your right, but people need a voice just the same way they have pavee point we need peoples point where local people go in a complain about travellers behaviour in their area.

They useto close their doors at 8 or 9pm but not between 3-4 pm in the middle of the day for fear of being beaten up by the local travellers who said were coming back to do you! its all on CCTV in the station and im sure there was an incident report filled out so if boards feels that i shouldnt have said that then im sure theres a report to back it up in tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

They useto close their doors at 8 or 9pm but not between 3-4 pm in the middle of the day for fear of being beaten up by the local travellers who said were coming back to do you! its all on CCTV in the station and im sure there was an incident report filled out so if boards feels that i shouldnt have said that then im sure theres a report to back it up in tesco

The point that you are missing that Sully has tried a few times to put across is that a lot of your posts are hearsay at best.

You assume so much of the time without any evidence to back up a lot of your claims.

Last week you posted in the Waterford Jobs Thread that you "saw" a job advertised as a receptionist in the Ramada only when queried by another poster that you only heard about it. Then instead of admitting you jumped the gun again went on to say that there is no way that a Hotel would allow an intern to run the desk alone. Conjecture at best, bollocks actually with not a scrap of evidence to back up the claim.

You assume that the Hotel chain and Tesco do this and that while pontificating on what they should and shouldn't do while all you seem to do is moan and fukcin' groan in front of a keyboard.

As Sully suggested, contact the Barracks, contact Tescos, file a complaint and make a fukcin' stand instead of typing ill informed tittle tattle and accusations that you obviously have little proof of.

You really are the King of back tracking.

• Advertisement

IT IS!!! IT'S ALWAYS 10PM!!!! IT'S THE LAW!!!

You know what i meant bud...10, 11....but it's a regular practise.

I agree with you with it being common practice that they use the hatch from 10 or so onwards im not too sure if you are implying that its the law that they close the doors after a certain time?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think your blinded by your dislike for me on this one.

Once again, stop being so melodramatic. I don't even know you! I don't dislike you, how can I dislike somebody I don't even know?! All I know about you is that you want somebody to spank your monkey! :pac:

I'm not suggesting your lying but you are being melodramatic, slightly misleading and kicking up a fuss over something the state or society can't deal with in this particular incident. Its also not an issue that only happens at Ballybeg.
    As far as being a Tax Payer i meant the woman working in the petrol station, shes working probably a minimum wage job and pays her taxes then she gets threatened by this section of community who by the way her taxes are paying for, They get everything for free they dont pay LPT on their halting site, they dont pay for the field to the council where their horses are they dont pay for their bins! NO THATS COS SHE DOES and every other tax payer.

Well you might have had a point if the state and the Guards turned a blind eye but you confirmed that the Guards were unaware of the situation so they can't do anything. Therefore, its not the states fault.
    My whole point is why do we have to tolerate this behaviour? if it was any other section of society they wouldnt get away with it, I have a neighbour not far away from us who was threatened and told we will bring our lot down on you if you keep calling the guards cos our horses are loose. I mean they get away with so much and we have a right as tax payers to say right enough is enough, we contribute to the locality by paying our taxes and i would say most people in general want to see the area on the up not being dragged down! so were all dancing around the pink elephant here we all know who they are but nobody is willing to do or say anything about them!

I have been reading other threads and people have had enough, Im not having a go at the area or the shop just the people who seem determined to drag the area down. Ive seen first hand what their little off spring do for fun in the area and its not nice but then the guards can do nothing cos they are under age.

I couldn't agree more that there are sections of communities, not just travelers, that cause so much grief for people and very little can be done. Look at Templers Hall - students causing grief for residents and the various committees are doing their best to address the problem but its proving difficult. As I said numerous times, every estate has its 'bad eggs' and a halting site tends to have its own 'bag eggs'. Sure, we have seen problems at this site over the years due to internal fights.
    BANG ON! your right, but people need a voice just the same way they have pavee point we need peoples point where local people go in a complain about travellers behaviour in their area.

In most cases, the Gardai want to lock em up. They want the evidence. They want to watch these guys and get as much possible to stick on them. Resident Committees and individuals complain directly to the Gardai and the councilors about such. Pavee Point is the only people representing travelers, we as 'settled' people have plenty of representation. There are also Policing Committees that discuss the issues of local crime. So there are groups representing both sides.

There is a bigger problem that spankme touches on, that raised its ugly head today. A bit of a 'war of words' between a judge and the government over the lack of juvenile detention facilities. But its not Waterford only, and its certainly not Ballybeg only.

I asked a member of staff that works there about what your describing. I don't want to get anybody in trouble so I won't be saying who I spoke to, or revealing anything about them.

I'm told, and perhaps you or someone can correct me if I am wrong, that there is a typed up note laminated on the door advising people that if the door is locked, to use the window at the far end. The sign is up because the door is closed at night. I asked about the place being closed during the day and I was told they never close it. I would suspect its rare, not never.

What you said about certain people causing trouble is true and known by the staff. It sometimes happens but its "just kids being bored" (not my words). Nothing is done because there is no point - there only kids. They apparently usually just come in, take stuff, and run away. Calling someone over is pointless because they are gone when they arrive. I'm also told they have a hole in the fence that makes it quicker for them to run away.

So, as has been pointed out by other people apart from me, this type of behaviour isn't uncommon in Waterford (or anywhere). Tesco Ballybeg doesn't close, apparently, at 3pm so it appears to be a rare event.

Personally, if I was in that position, I would have done the same. Locked up for the day. Better safe than sorry and no point me trying to be the big man. Some people dismiss kids as just that - harmless bored kids with nothing better to do. I personally don't agree with that and think that kids can be just as dangerous as someone my own age looking to start a fight or think there 'macho' or 'tough'.

Speaking from experience, I know what its like to get hassle from a group of scumbag kids who know no boundaries and are not threatened by someone older than them. But a complaint to the Gardai, who while agreeing very little could be done and a reputation being attached to the kids was known, actually worked for me. Had an incident in a cinema once with travelers who refused to listen to me when I asked them to shut up talking throughout the film. But they shut up fairly lively when a female member of staff told them to cop on or get out. They apologised and helped clean up after.

But nothing will be done unless there is more done to tackle the growing problem of youths thinking/doing what they like.

Interesting that the subject of juvenile problems is touched on here;

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0510/391441-judge-wants-answers-over-juvenile-detention-system/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

i worked doin security years ago in lisduggan shopping centre and used have to deal with these people on a day to day basis, i used to be threatened top be got,to be shot with shotguns and every other threat they could come up with, what i used to and i shocked them a few times is stand up to em, call there bluff it confuse's the fcuk outta there uneducated brains of there's!! i;m still alive and not a hair on my head ever touch by em!!! and i got more respect for doin what i did with them

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Clint Eastwood just entered the building ^^

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

i worked doin security years ago in lisduggan shopping centre and used have to deal with these people on a day to day basis, i used to be threatened top be got,to be shot with shotguns and every other threat they could come up with, what i used to and i shocked them a few times is stand up to em, call there bluff it confuse's the fcuk outta there uneducated brains of there's!! i;m still alive and not a hair on my head ever touch by em!!! and i got more respect for doin what i did with them

Neil-deGrasse-Tyson-we-got-a-bad-ass-over-here-meme.png

Funfair wrote: »
    Clint Eastwood just entered the building ^^

So standing your ground is something to be mocked, is it?

What would you have done?

So standing your ground is something to be mocked, is it?

What would you have done?

I'd say he was joking.

The point that you are missing that Sully has tried a few times to put across is that a lot of your posts are hearsay at best.

You assume so much of the time without any evidence to back up a lot of your claims.

Last week you posted in the Waterford Jobs Thread that you "saw" a job advertised as a receptionist in the Ramada only when queried by another poster that you only heard about it. Then instead of admitting you jumped the gun again went on to say that there is no way that a Hotel would allow an intern to run the desk alone. Conjecture at best, bollocks actually with not a scrap of evidence to back up the claim.

You assume that the Hotel chain and Tesco do this and that while pontificating on what they should and shouldn't do while all you seem to do is moan and fukcin' groan in front of a keyboard.

As Sully suggested, contact the Barracks, contact Tescos, file a complaint and make a fukcin' stand instead of typing ill informed tittle tattle and accusations that you obviously have little proof of.

You really are the King of back tracking.

I annoy you that much yet you cant help but join in in threads i start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

My Dad used to always tell me life is to short to argue with an idiot.
    Why did I join boards?

Sully wrote: »
    I'd say he was joking.

I don't think he was. And he never answer my questions either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

I don't think he was. And he never answer my questions either.

What was your questions ?

hey sully i'd like to see you stand up to a cream cracker or would ya get your daddy who is an retired special branch to do the fight for ya

Christ will ya get a grip lad. Its called a joke. Also, you have the wrong person.

Funfair wrote: »
    What was your questions ?

Go back and re-read my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

lads these people live off the element of fear that they put into people and doing what they want while also adding the fear in people, especially if they think they will get away with it, they won't respect ya unless ya stand up to em and let em know you won't be walked over. its easy for people like yourselves to comment when your nice and cosy in front of your laptop and probably not in a job that allows you to deal with them on a daily basis and deal with them so much that you know them by first name basis!! when that happens come back to me!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

wellboytoo wrote: »
    My Dad used to always tell me life is to short to argue with an idiot.
    Why did I join boards?

My Dad also told me that it's better to 'tease a fool rather than please a fool' or was it the other way round ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Ok, this thread has turned into a bit of a mess. It's really just been various arguments so I'm locking it up and leaving it at that.

I mentioned it on another thread but if you dont like a poster stick them on ignore. Having it out on thread is going to lead to unpleasentness all around.

Any questions PM me,

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement