Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any lefty's out there????

Options
  • 09-05-2013 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

So I took up clay shooting, went out and got a gun that fit and everything wa hunky dory............. Until it was pointed out to me that I'm left eye dominant and that's why I'm missing so much!!!!

Left eye dominant, so much so that even with a piece of tape or vasaline strategically placed on the left lense on the shooting specs, I still really struggle when shooting with 2 eyes open.

So I swapped over to the left shoulder, got used to mounting it and start shooting very respectable scores with both eyes open.

My problem is with the Cast on my Right handed gun!!! It's quite uncomfortable on the aul facial area and I find I'm having to twist it ever so slightly inwards when I mount it.

Is there any way to change the Cast on the Butt Stock without having to go down the route of changing the gun altogether? I've put a lot of work into refinishing this gun and have grown quite attached to it.

Any lefty's out there with a fix for my problem? Any experience with it yourselves? Anything you guys do to help?

Or should I just shut up and get on with it???? Ha ha.

Cheers lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

So I took up clay shooting, went out and got a gun that fit and everything wa hunky dory............. Until it was pointed out to me that I'm left eye dominant and that's why I'm missing so much!!!!

Left eye dominant, so much so that even with a piece of tape or vasaline strategically placed on the left lense on the shooting specs, I still really struggle when shooting with 2 eyes open.

So I swapped over to the left shoulder, got used to mounting it and start shooting very respectable scores with both eyes open.

My problem is with the Cast on my Right handed gun!!! It's quite uncomfortable on the aul facial area and I find I'm having to twist it ever so slightly inwards when I mount it.

Is there any way to change the Cast on the Butt Stock without having to go down the route of changing the gun altogether? I've put a lot of work into refinishing this gun and have grown quite attached to it.

Any lefty's out there with a fix for my problem? Any experience with it yourselves? Anything you guys do to help?

Or should I just shut up and get on with it???? Ha ha.

Cheers lads.
    Yep. I am right handed but left eye dominant,have been shooting right handed guns from my left shoulder for nearly 40 years now without any problem,semi's u/o's sxs. However last month I bought a new u/o with a left hand cast have not fired it yet but it feels right. There are a few guys out there that can cast your right handed gun over to left handed for you and it is not that expensive,I was getting it done to my last Beretta u/o but because it was a detachable stock it could not be done due to the mechanism in the stock hence my reason for trading,there is a guy in wexford/waterford that will measure you up and cast your stock to suit you he was doing it for me and he is quite good. It is done I believe by steaming the stock in a controlled way and twisting the stock for the want of a better word to the shape you want,if I get his name and number Ill put it up here have it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭skinnylizzy

Thanks for the response man, I really appreciate it. It wouldn't be Pat Sludds by any chance? I've heard he's a genius magician when it comes to gun wood. I wasn't sure it cast off to on could be done but your words have given me some reassurance ha ha. I'll give him a call and persevere in the meantime. I'd say it was a great feeling to put a lefty up to your shoulder after 40 years of righty, probably felt a bit strange? I'd say you were saying 'where have you been all my life?' Ha ha. I must keep an eye out in my RFD's for lefty's to see how they feel.

Thanks for the post deerhunter1.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

It is done I believe by steaming the stock in a controlled way and twisting the stock for the want of a better word to the shape you want,

Called a cross over stock.Looks ugly as Hell,and can be pricey but if it gets you shooting properly.:pac:

If you gun is something in a "common"brand you might be able to get a neutral cast stock as an after market accessory.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I have the same problem as you but mine is down to vision in the right eye. I shoot of my left with right handed rifle and shot guns no problem it took me a while to get use to it but I can put the gun up
    To my right or my left as quick now quick is a great advantage I think.

All in all I don't look to much into it because I've picked up left handed guns both rifle and shot gun and it felt so wrong to me I nearly could operate them.

If your shooting well or always improving I prob wouldn't do anything with the stock. But make sure your comfortable while shooting anyway.

I have the same problem as you but mine is down to vision in the right eye. I shoot of my left with right handed rifle and shot guns no problem it took me a while to get use to it but I can put the gun up
    To my right or my left as quick now quick is a great advantage I think.

All in all I don't look to much into it because I've picked up left handed guns both rifle and shot gun and it felt so wrong to me I nearly could operate them.

If your shooting well or always improving I prob wouldn't do anything with the stock. But make sure your comfortable while shooting anyway.

Oh Jesus!!!!!!! I just saw one of those cross over stocks on the interweb just there now.......... They're the weirdest thing I've ever seen!!!! I won't be going down that route ha ha.

Nah I just have a problem with the few degrees of twist to the right on the butt stock of my righty. If it were a lefty, it'd have the same twist in the opposite direction. It just makes it easier for your eye to line up more naturally with the bead. I'll keep plugging away for now, that's yourself and deerhunter1 that have had no problem shooting off the left with a righty so I'll just try get used to it methinks. Yeah it's def an advantage being able to shoot comfortably off both shoulders.

Cheer man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

I am right handed and left eye dominant and I can only recommend shooting left. Soprry about your gun, but I don't know a good way to solve that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Cavan duck buster

Can the same be done with a Beretta ES100 synthetic stock??? As i'm right handed and left eye dominate but also half blind in my right eye.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Oh Jesus!!!!!!! I just saw one of those cross over stocks on the interweb just there now.......... They're the weirdest thing I've ever seen!!!! I won't be going down that route ha ha.

Nah I just have a problem with the few degrees of twist to the right on the butt stock of my righty. If it were a lefty, it'd have the same twist in the opposite direction. It just makes it easier for your eye to line up more naturally with the bead. I'll keep plugging away for now, that's yourself and deerhunter1 that have had no problem shooting off the left with a righty so I'll just try get used to it methinks. Yeah it's def an advantage being able to shoot comfortably off both shoulders.

Cheer man.
    Cross over stock in totally different to what I was talking about, the wood is softened by way of steam and slightly twisted a few degrees either way to suit you,you would hardly notice the change by just looking at the stock,those cross overs are ugly looking things

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

What model gun is it?..

I think you are reading into it a little too much..

I am left handed shoot all RH guns..

Even shot a LH shotgun and didn't notice the difference..

Shoulder fit is most important imo when it comes to shotguns.. A long reach for me ( 6 foot 5) is what I was looking for and I bought a Silma M80 sportster.. Have taken it out twice a week since I got it about 2-3 months ago and Im delighted with how I am hitting.. I have a 1950's SxS too and I hit even better with that.. both cast RH the silma the worst of the two...

You aren't really looking down the bead and if you think you need to twist your head that bit its just how you are mounting the gun.. Stand in front of a mirror and practice mounting see how you line up..

Casting is an option but it leaves unsightly gaps in the safety area and really ruins the gun IMO.

All my rifles are right handed I would never consider a LH rifle..

All my guitars are RH too and I am a strong left orientated I just took it upon myself to adapt..

Just blaze away and learn the gun not the bead.

'hdz

Thanks for the detailed response. It's a Lanber Sporting Deluxe (2097 if you will)

There's definitely a difference, I'm just on my way back from shooting now and I had a go of a Berreta 686 onyx and a Bettinsoli Diamond Sporter. The Berreta was the most comfortable out of the 3, it seemed very neutral on both shoulders.

If I mount up on my left shoulder it lines up with what I'm looking at fine, but it's uncomfortable on my face. It feel like I'm having to push my cheek harder into the butt stock to line it up, more so than if I mount it on my right shoulder. I have tried the mirror and I'm mounting it fine, eyeball and bead make a figure of 8 every time, it's just a comfort issue, not a performance.

I'm shooting fine with it on my left, much better than on the right but it is uncomfortable.

Just on a side note, I write with my left hand but do everything else right handed, I even kick with my right foot. I also play guitar right handed and never had to force myself to do so, it's just how I picked up the guitar first and has felt natural since. I tried to tech myself to play left handed after a few years (I thought it would be a good show piece) but I failed miserably.

I understand what you are saying and I do think I might be reading a bit too much into it. I've only been shooting off the left for the past few weeks and have taken to it quite quickly so maybe I will get used to it.

Thanks Hedzball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Any pictures of the cast??..

I wouldn't have thought a lamber to be heavily cast by any means..

I always found when it came to shotguns when I started thinking about it I was crap..

hedzball wrote: »
    Any pictures of the cast??..

I wouldn't have thought a lamber to be heavily cast by any means..

I always found when it came to shotguns when I started thinking about it I was crap..

The gun is in the club ATM so won't be able to get pics till durin the week. You could be right though. I'm thinking too much about it and it's sticking around in my head. I'd say if I started shooting left handed and was using right handed guns it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

I'll put some pics up if I'm out that way during the week.

Cheers man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Your thinking to much about it lad. Don't press as hard with your check i reckon its not actually maken that much difference.

But I'm not looking down the barrels.

You need to go out and enjoy the shooting and don't think about it.

Will do. Thanks lads.

Advertisement