Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of moving to OZ

Options
  • 09-05-2013 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

hello there everyone, not sure if this is rite place.....Anyhow im thinking of moving to australia on a one year working holiday visa, Im a qualified plumber, was wondering would anybody have advice on best part/region of Australia for construction/trade work. Is it hard to find work in that field at the moment. Im thinking of Melbourne, any info on living cost..rent? Any tips would be much appreciated.....thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cikearney

hello there everyone, not sure if this is rite place.....Anyhow im thinking of moving to australia on a one year working holiday visa, Im a qualified plumber, was wondering would anybody have advice on best part/region of Australia for construction/trade work. Is it hard to find work in that field at the moment. Im thinking of Melbourne, any info on living cost..rent? Any tips would be much appreciated.....thanks.

I'm a plumber, came to Darwin, now I'm doing concrete. To get the trade recognised in the university will only give me a journey man ticket so I'm still only s labourer. A few guys I now are doing an Australian apprentiship will I'd good money right through but not what I'm looking for.
    I would recommend getting your regional work done sooner rather than later. I went to Melbourne over Easter and met a plumber from cork and he said he called up the university and they gave him a plumbing licence, I think it's different in every state.
    Your looking at anything from 150 a week living in a bedroom to 700 a week for a three bed apt in Darwin CBD, but could get a 4 bed house in the suburbs for 350, none of these examples were furnished.
    When you get here try and get as many tickets as you can afford, white card/ safe pass, bobcat ticket, excavator ticket and most important get your truck licence/ hr licence.
    Put yourself forward for any job you think you could do and don't limit yourself to plumbing because it might never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 thelatest001

hey thanks very much for the advice bud, and replying. yeah was thinking of doin the regional work first, so I cud apply for the second year visa because im edging towards 30 years old now. might be good idea to apply for second year visa before I turn 31. what are my chances of getting a plumbing company/employer to sponsor me almost immediately if they took me on, when I got there? Or would they not even bother with me cause I don't have their own Australian plumber certificates. Oh yeah I definitely will apply for other jobs too. Did that cork plumber lad have to do a exam for that licence he got?

Not too sure if he had to do an assessment, I was pretty drunk that night!

A few guys I know work for project plumbing, it's a big enough crowd, I was trying to get in myself but ended up taking bush work, they're all nearly finished there apprentiship, have tickets for all sorts coming out of their ears paid for by the company and are all sponsored and have been since they started and sponsorship is only 2 years.

Oh yeah, construction work in the NT counts as regional work

ok bud cheers for that.

• Advertisement

Met a guy on site today from IS Australia, they deal with apprentiships. He told me what I already knew about trade recognition in the NT with is that you do an assessment and they give you a journey man ticket which is **** all.

After a few phone calls he told me I could get a plumbing licence in QLD by filling in a form, posting Cerys, references, photos and any other relevant evedence of my plumbing background and if they are satisfied, they will issue me a plumbing licence

would it be best if I try to get regional work first and get that out of the way, so I can apply for second year visa. Or just try and get sponsored first by an employer,

would it be best if I try to get regional work first and get that out of the way, so I can apply for second year visa. Or just try and get sponsored first by an employer,

Might aswell get it over and done with ASAP so your not panicking come your last 3/4 months to make the deadline, and you mightn't even get a job, and then what?

Get it done and then you'll have at least 21 months to TRY and get sponsored. The streets aren't paved with jobs no matter what anyone says, it's on a down hill from now, I know people in WA and VIC working week to week. I'm in the NT and this job is coming to a closed, I haven't seen a job offered on gumtree in weeks it's full of people looking for work, some even offering themselves for $15ph. That's not to say there is no work, you just have to be first up every morning, get to all the agencies, get the paper, join a sports club and talk to everyone you can to get working.

the early bird catches the worm...so,

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rusty Shackleford

How did you apply for ur visa? Did you do it yourself online or use a company like usit? Trying to figure out which I should do

• Advertisement

I went to an agency, ' go4less ' cheapest one I could find €325. you can do it online too on the Australian government website which is cheaper again, not by much I think.

Anybody know which is the best region or city for employment in construction and jobs in general, at the moment in Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LTM

Do it online on http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/ it is the cheapest way to do it.

I chose the agency cause I think their quicker, It took me a week to get it. they say you can get it in 48 hours but I didn't. I think the Australian govt website takes a bit longer, I could be wrong now but I think its 2 weeks, maybe more or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FTroydon

I chose the agency cause I think their quicker, It took me a week to get it. they say you can get it in 48 hours but I didn't. I think the Australian govt website takes a bit longer, I could be wrong now but I think its 2 weeks, maybe more or less.

I got mine through the official government website and was approved within the hour. Usit etc are a waste of money when it comes to the WHV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod - None of this info is true - you are just speculating.
    There is no time difference, many users on this forum have received their visas via the official website in less than 48hrs, and in many cases less than 24hrs.
    When you go through an agency you fill out the same form as the Aus gov website, so there is no gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Mine took 7 hours....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Applied for mine at 23:30 on a sunday night, had it by 10:30 monday morning.. from the immi.gov site :)

Got it on sale with visa first for 280 with free unlimited wifi, a SIM card and a few other bits which were only available to collect in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth and cairns, I flew to Darwin. Didn't know how else to do it so that's why I went with them

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

I did my visa with visa first! Do it yourself they basically do the application online with you over the phone and charge a hefty fee for the price. Its a holiday visa, the government have no reason not to give you a visa unless you have been on a WHV, are over age or have a criminal record.

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84925242#post84925242

Follow link on thread for trade recognition in QLD

Advertisement