Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How you study for each subject?

• 09-05-2013 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

I figure this might help people who are struggling in some subjects. How do you study for your subjects?

Personally:

English: Learn quotes, do an answer, get corrected.

Irish: Learn quotes, do an answer, get corrected.

Maths: Up until now I was doing the revision exercises from the books, but the exam papers are actually much more beneficial.

Chemistry: Experiments: Videos and writing them out, then doing a question
    Questions: Practice

Applied Maths: Practice Exam Q's

German: I don't do enough ATM. Nonetheless, it's mainly exam papers.

Physics: I despise the subject, it annoys me after a few questions. Exam papers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

English: For poetry I just learn quotes and jazz up whatever comes into my head about them when tested, seems to work.. Macbeth I read character analysis and learn key quotes from them and kind of soak up the way arguments are presented, and I haven't really done enough comparative as yet.

Irish: Pretty much same as above but very weak on my essays, managed 65 in the mock :/

German: Our teacher is grinding us down with letters and außerung's nightly but it's working because my grades are improving!

Business: Flying through the book atm, almost finished unit 6 having started at two, practicing exam questions. Relatively easy subject if you apply yourself.

History: For the documents I've been raping my textbook, the essays themselves I've been checking up in exam papers, then studying my notes to make plans and then try and get the essay out under time restraint.

Economics: Write and rewrite my notes, do exam questions. Easy subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 vale95

Prodigious wrote: »
    I figure this might help people who are struggling in some subjects. How do you study for your subjects?

Personally:

Maths: Up until now I was doing the revision exercises from the books, but the exam papers are actually much more beneficial.

Physics: I despise the subject, it annoys me after a few questions. Exam papers.

where do you watch the chemistry experiments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

English: I do a question and while I'm doing that I try to understand the poem and learn quotes from it. In the end I probably spend a total of 2-3 hours on an essay, spread over different days. I put any good words into my notes and then learn those.

Irish: I just read through the notes I have generally and take down any good words and phrases and their categorised according each essay title/poem. I do an essay every so often

Maths: I do the exam papers and my grinds teacher gives me an absolute tonne of questions each week on a chapter so it takes up a lot of my time :P I rarely sit down and read and learn my maths notes if you know what I mean, I only do that the day before an exam.

French: The essays are pretty quick to do so I do a lot of those and my note taking is the same as Irish. We just do tape-work and comprehensions in school so I only do those the odd time at home. I listen to rmc.fr (sports radio) and funradio.fr (music radio) from time to time.

Biology: Read through notes. I find I never learn much when I do the exam papers in Biology so I've pretty much stopped that now aside from homework.

DCG: Do questions from exam papers. I take notes on some topics as well but I find it relatively hard to study as it's hard for me to sit down and learn drawing methods and it can take a while to do drawings.

Physics: Mainly exam papers now. I've really started to like some parts in Physics now since I understand the things better. Getting proper notes during the Christmas break really helped; the book is filled with a lot of unnecessary details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

English: I learn everything through mind maps! I learn quotes through relevant themes and link poetry that way, quotes for Macbeth and I'm basically learning off comparative essays because I'm awful at it.

Irish: ugh i don't really :/ i try to learn off as much seanfhocals as possible basically.

Maths: papers!

German: i find it needs a lot of practice so basically just papers, except for learning things like verbs.

Geography: first learn notes, then compile essays and learn those.

Art History: just going through notes and learning off techniques and styles

Biology: notes, i agree on exam papers not being so helpful, except for the short questions as you notice an overlap in questions coming up. I find it easier to just learn the notes though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

English: Learn quotes and read through essays
    Irish: Learn phrases and go through poem by poem under themes, life of the poet etc
    Maths: Exam papers!
    Biology: Exam papers completely. The same questions come up all the time.
    Home Ec: Exam papers, again patterns are easy to see!
    Business: Going through the notes and solution answers to long questions, and going through short questions as again, there are patterns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

English: Learn quotes and read through essays
    Irish: Learn phrases and go through poem by poem under themes, life of the poet etc
    Maths: Exam papers!
    Biology: Exam papers completely. The same questions come up all the time.
    Home Ec: Exam papers, again patterns are easy to see!
    Business: Going through the notes and solution answers to long questions, and going through short questions as again, there are patterns.

Would you risk making a call on anything you expect to come up in business this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Would you risk making a call on anything you expect to come up in business this year?

Tbh, I don't think anyone can. The business paper is very fair in my opinion because there are never any big surprises or any complaints. The questions are always straight forward and if you learn the material in each question, you'll be fine!

The only advice I could give on predicting business questions is to look at what is most popular in each question and focus on that, and if it came up the year before, spend less time on it but don't rule it out either!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

There's prob gonna be a question on ICT In some shape or form! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

Prodigious wrote: »

Personally:

yeah man where do you watch the chemistry videos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

English: I do exam questions all the time, it repetitive really, no surprises but different story/novel/text. Revise over notes and summaries on poetry, Macbeth, Wuthering Heights and Translations.

French: I'm not really bothered about this subject really. Only need this for UL and a minimum D3 is needed which I can easily achieve.

Maths: Look over notes on methods and then do a question in papers.

DCG: practise the question I find the most difficult, skew lines and Planes and Lamina

Engineering: Look over notes on everything. It's really simple for me to know it and I only find it difficult to know the Thermal Equilibriums

Physics: I deplored this subject for most of this year as we never got to do any experiments :( But recently I have gotten to like it more except Radiation, that's more confusing than a cow on astroturf! All I do is practise questions, particularly Section B. Section A is very manageable IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

EU policies are due up in Q.3, worth looking closely at...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Business is the only subject on the LC that is not in any shape or form predictable. Both on the plus side they never trick you in the paper. As my teacher used to say just ****ing learn the book and youll do really well.

I think biology exam questions are a must

Plus economics just learn, relearn and relearn the marking schemes. They often ask the same questions work for work every couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

English: Learn quotes, do questions (I am terrible at studying Eng, I usually try to wing it)

Irish: Don't (OL)

Maths: Exam questions all the way!

Biology: Read chapter, summarise important points (if there's time), then do questions

Chemistry: Same as biology, have done so many exam questions!

Physics: Yuck, have never been good at it, exam Q's are unpredictable at best! Usually try to grasp the general concept of a chapter then do questions to see where I need more detail. Practice derivations and calculations a lot too.

Geography: Summarise essays onto flashcards, attempt to learn them, practice short Q's in the papers

Music: Practice compositions, listen to the set works while reading notes and then attempt (and usually fail) to do exam q's on them

Applied Maths: Power through the chapter in the book, then do as many exam Q's as my brain can handle..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Any predictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

English:quotes and points/explanation that will fit in to anything.
    Irish: Practically nothing, but I can't learn it off without knowing what it is in English word for word.
    Maths: Dropped to OL the other day to do nothing so erm, exactly that :P
    Spanish: Exam papers, learning off vocab for specific topics.
    History: Essay writing, then break it down in to bullet points for the relevant information.
    Geography: Bullet points and essay practice.
    Business: Exam papers and doing my own notes for each unit.

This is what I do for say a class test or something. Haven't really concerned myself with independent revision. Yet.

gaeilge: rewriting essays.
    English: just make points on every question and quotes
    acc: do Q1 over and over again every day.
    bio: questions
    Maths: dont :(
    French: production ecrites one day and comprehensions the other day :)
    Russ: papers!
    Economics: revise chapter then do exam qs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

I mean for me personally Exam papers only! I know all of my chemistry because of exam papers but biology still working on it. Math's watched studyhub videos but don't understand a thing and i'm at ol so I sympathize for those at hl. I dunno will exam papers work for maths? I mean our teacher says the project maths thing is unpredictable. English I just read over notes do short stories and learn of macbeth quotes and poem quotes. Business dong exam papers french don't really care as long as I pass and irish doing foundation so don't care bout it got 85 percent without a single study for the mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Physics: Yuck, have never been good at it, exam Q's are unpredictable at best! Usually try to grasp the general concept of a chapter then do questions to see where I need more detail. Practice derivations and calculations a lot too.

Physics is a seriously predictable paper with a load of repetition and tricks that always come up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

SeaDaily wrote: »
    Physics is a seriously predictable paper with a load of repetition and tricks that always come up.

My teacher hasn't done a scrap of exam technique with us, so I don't know about these tricks you speak of.. :(

• Advertisement

How does one learn the economic market structures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

yournerd wrote: »
    How does one learn the economic market structures?

I always found them easy to learn.. do you find them difficult ? If you just practice the exam paper questions they ask the same questions time after time :) try to learn the answers off then

Advertisement