Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Science

• 09-05-2013 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hey,
    Just finishing a fetac level 5 and hoping to goto nuim.
    What IDE is used on the CS degree?
    I have a good desktop would I need a laptop as well?
    Any other tips for preparation are welcome?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

We use JCreator, BlueJ or Eclipse. It's all preference really, most IDE's are isntalled on the lab's machines. First semster the lecturer's notes were based on JCreator, second in BlueJ.

You dont need the desktop even, most work is done in college in the lab's, but the desktop will be of use for working at home. Laptop can be useful for taking notes over paper bot not necessary at all.

Assuming your FETAC was in computing related modules, you'll be well prepared. They start from Hello World on day one so no experience is required. If you're doing the full CSSE degree though, better get ready for the maths, it's tough as nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭jamesccp

Thanks for the reply. I just completed a fetac in IT.
    IS java the only language used?
    Any advice on gettin ready for the maths?
    I appreciate ur help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

Depends on the course and the modules, but java, c, c++ and c# are the main ones.

Hi csse im applying for mh203

jamesccp wrote: »
    Hi csse im applying for mh203

You'll be using all of the above then, mainly java and c++ in the early years. Small bit of c here and there, c# comes up in a few places very similar to java so no big change.

There's a few other languages but you'll be shown them as needed.

• Advertisement

Thanks for gettin back so quick

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Picasso711

brainiac wrote: »
    If you're doing the full CSSE degree though, better get ready for the maths, it's tough as nails.

Hey Brainiac,
    I was wondering could you give me some sort of examples for the maths please..? What sort of Maths? I am hoping to attend this course in the upcoming September.

Picasso711 wrote: »
    Hey Brainiac,
    I was wondering could you give me some sort of examples for the maths please..? What sort of Maths? I am hoping to attend this course in the upcoming September.
    calculus, linear algebra, data analysis.
    calculus is tough but there are great supports. Around 30% failed the differentiation exam Christmas. There are great supports like the the math support centre. Where u can drop in and get help

calculus, linear algebra, data analysis.
    calculus is tough but there are great supports. Around 30% failed the differentiation exam Christmas. There are great supports like the the math support centre. Where u can drop in and get help

Ah its nice to hear the support is good... That will be of great help :) How do find the course and the college ?
    After today I am very eager to go there... Thanks for the quick reply :)

Ah its nice to hear the support is good... That will be of great help :) How do find the course and the college ?
    After today I am very eager to go there... Thanks for the quick reply :)
    I love it atmosphere is great. Not much comp science in first year. I find the math hard that would be the only downside

• Advertisement

I love it atmosphere is great. Not much comp science in first year. I find the math hard that would be the only downside
    Do you mind me asking what were the three other subjects you picked? Do you live on campus or how is the travelling ?

Do you mind me asking what were the three other subjects you picked? Do you live on campus or how is the travelling ?
    That's no problem. I'm doing comp Sci trough science but u can do it trough arts. Only difference is first year after that both arts and science students who are doing computer science and software engineering are together. I'm doing exp physics, math physics, and computer science modules plus math which u must do. I live in lucan and,there are busses put on that travel all round to pick up people. You would have to contact the college for more info as they are private companies

Ah thats cool... I have applied for the MH140, one of my first choice of the other 3 subjects was maths physics.. Id say that is tough.. would that be your toughest subject ?

Thats sounds about getting a lift.. I am just living in Clondalkin there. I have heard of a coach slevins which is €30 return for the week which is grand but the only thing is the last one on a friday leaves the college at 2.. other than that it sounds good...

what is your timetavle like for the week ?

I really apprechiate you chatting to me its very helpful having tge chance to speak to soneone on the course..

Many typos :)

Ah thats cool... I have applied for the MH140, one of my first choice of the other 3 subjects was maths physics.. Id say that is tough.. would that be your toughest subject ?

Thats sounds about getting a lift.. I am just living in Clondalkin there. I have heard of a coach slevins which is €30 return for the week which is grand but the only thing is the last one on a friday leaves the college at 2.. other than that it sounds good...

what is your timetavle like for the week ?

I really apprechiate you chatting to me its very helpful having tge chance to speak to soneone on the course..

math physics is hard but I much prefer it to exp physics. I'd say after programming its my favorite subject. Well worth doing. My timtable is 10 to 5 Mon 10to4, tue 9to6 wed, 10to1 Thurs, 9to10 Fri.

Ah thats good :) I think I would be very much into it too.. the timetable looks very good for first year.. how are the assignments and stuff ? You get assignments for coding and tests or just assignments ?

When do you finish up for the summer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

Ah thats good :) I think I would be very much into it too.. the timetable looks very good for first year.. how are the assignments and stuff ? You get assignments for coding and tests or just assignments ?

When do you finish up for the summer ?

First year is tough going. Tends to be ok for half a semester but after that everything ramps up. We get assignments tests, online test class test everything really depend on the lecturere really . Its actually a really good course interesting and engaging.

Just so you are aware first year is different for the arts entry than it is for science. Arts do 3 subjects, computer science, maths and one of your choice see here http://apps.nuim.ie/courses/?TARGET=QS&MODE=VIEW&QUALIFICATION_CODE=CSEA&TARGET_SOURCE=QUALIFICATION

It does sound really good and I think at the moment I am going to go there.. Have you gone straight from school into the course? Im a mature student.. I am definitely going to do computer science, I think I will be able to do it but I have seen some post saying that this course has the highest drop out rate... its quite intimidating.. has anyone dropped out in your class already? Is there many mature students in your class ?

I've already finished the course, don't mind the drop out rate, yes some people did drop out during my time but it was always because they didn't care and were lazy. Particularly the handful that would show up on a full moon and sleep during the lectures.

I did go straight from school but there's plenty of mature students doing computer science, one thing I will say is don't isolate yourself everyone's just as nervous. To do well it's important to work well and get on with your class.

• Advertisement

CSSE09 wrote: »
    I've already finished the course, don't mind the drop out rate, yes some people did drop out during my time but it was always because they didn't care and were lazy. Particularly the handful that would show up on a full moon and sleep during the lectures.

I did go straight from school but there's plenty of mature students doing computer science, one thing I will say is don't isolate yourself everyone's just as nervous. To do well it's important to work well and get on with your class.

Thank you for that, makes me feel more at ease.. I really want this and just think its the nerves.. I have Java cert and really love programming, in school I enjoyed maths and with some work feel I am quite competent.. I should really stop taking some post so serious .... really apprechiate your reply... how have you found life after the course ?

I got a job straight away but half my class are still looking 8 months on. A good few of them also had to go to England. IT jobs are plentiful for experienced people, grad jobs not so much but who knows how things will be in another 4 years. Grades matter a lot, start as you mean to go on.

Good advice thanks... I think the fact im a mature student i should have no problem working hard to get grades.. once you get the break and get that some experience you will have alot more options :) what do you be doing in work ? What does your company do ?

Advertisement