Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Won't sleep in cot

Options
  • 09-05-2013 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Have a six week old baby boy he sleeps good in his chair or in the bed with us ( wift is breast feeding)We bought a co/sleeping cot but he won't sleep in it the minute I put him down he will wake up any hints or tricks would be great please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

Save your sleep and keep the baby in a bed :) I'm breastfeeding and its a life saver to feed half asleep ;)also after a while I had no problem to put baby in a cot. They get use to it eventually. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I agree, give it time. Your baby is stil so young at 6 weeks. Our son was around 10 weeks before he'd go in the Moses basket but after that he was fine in it. He wouldn't go near the cosleeper at all until 4 months. My mam reckoned it was too big and cold for him.

I started putting him in the Moses basket a little every day from around 8-9 weeks to get him used to it.

I've baby no.2 now and she will only sleep on my shoulder so we cosleep. We'll introduce the Moses basket very gradually but by cosleeping at least I get a couple of hours sleep at a time if I'm lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

My 3week old much prefers to sleep on my chest or in the 'big bed'. Hell only sleep in the moses basket some nights or part of the night

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

At six weeks he still is very young, but don't underestimate how clever they are and know exactly where they are sleeping and what they prefer, I have only just managed to get my 9 month old to sleep in his cot all night without expecting to come into our bed at some point in the night, sleeping in the bed is a very bad habit, and they soon become dependent on it, I will not be making that mistake again, he now sleeps much better than waking with the expectation of the only way he can sleep is in a bed, good luck with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Other posters are right - still young, don't stress too much. Most babies, especially breastfed prefer to sleep on you. and why not! warm, cosy, safe, and they can hear your heartbeat just like in the womb. give it time. but it might help to warm the cot with a hot water bottle before you put him in (take hot water bottle out before baby goes in!). We did this. I used to bring a hot water bottle to bed with me and slip it into the cot when I took the baby out to feed. If they fall asleep while feeding just slip them back in and hopefully they will stay asleep.

You could also try putting a tshirt your wife has worn into the cot as it will have a familiar comforting scent.

There are also gadgets you can get that play white noise/heartbeats/wave sounds to help baby to sleep. Ours had a record function too so you could record yourself shushing or singing and play it to the baby. It was activated by movement I think so if they started to wake it would play.

Some babes sleep better when swaddled.

You could try very very slowly adjusting baby to going into cot. So first get them used to falling asleep on you and then being transferred to the cot. Then slowly put them down earlier and earlier in the falling-to-sleep phase till they can go into the cot awake and fall asleep. They have to learn how to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭paul127

Thanks for all the replys going to take our time in putting him in the cot and hopefully he will settle eventually .

• Registered Users Posts: 49 highflyer30

Our one loved his moses basket but only when it was warm getting into it and he was swaddled. used to put water bottle in for few mins before putting him in. would put it in when i had him out to feed so it d be warm when he was put back. had no problems. Found i slept better, was always worried id squash him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

No matter what we did our little man just didn't like the Moses basket. At six weeks we decided to move him to the cot and although he still wakes every 3 hours for a bottle, he sleeps so much better. Some babies just don't like the Moses basket. Hope he settles for you.

Advertisement