Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you listen to certain bands or albums mostly for nostalgia?

Options
  • 09-05-2013 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭

And secondly, would you like those bands if you heard them for the first time today?

I'm not the most nostalgic person but I do like to indulge in it every now and again. For example I've have a habit of listening to the albums Bleed American, Clarity and Futures by Jimmy Eat World mostly for this reason. Bleed American and Clarity remind me of the good old days of being in secondary school, not having much responsibility and hanging around town after school on a Friday, while Futures reminds me of studying for my Leaving Cert. It feels like a short escape from the pressure of adult life and back to easier times.

I probably wouldn't like Jimmy Eat World if I heard them for the first time today as they wouldn't really be my cup of tea compared to the music I listen to now, but I still don't feel any guilt in giving their albums a spin every now and again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No, only listen as I like it - whatever it is (never heard of Jimmy Eat World, obviously something the kids are listening to! :p ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

I wouldn't listen to anything for nostalgia purposes ..far too much new music to be heard but I still have a lot of CDs and only a CD player in the car so sometimes its either the radio:( or a CD..I banged on Compulsions future is medium from 1996 and yes it still sounds great and I not aware of any modern band who make music like them.Would I buy it today..most definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Nirvanas Unplugged album brings me back (like no other album does) to when I worked in Quinnsworth and lived in a haunted bedsit with no telly, let alone internet. The good auld days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Linkin Park Hybrid Theory especially, it brings me right back to my early days in Secondary school, SOD also. These are bands I don't listen to at all anymore, by 5th year I was listening to a totally style and in a cover band which in some ways I suppose obliged me to get into a different type of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Do I what?.......

That's why you buy albums/CD's........Because you love them!

I love listening to random choices of long loved bands.......

I recently started re-listening to Steely Dan after watching them on Sky Arts....How easily you can forget Legends!........:)

Oldies but Goldie's in my book!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I think its hard not to, most people enjoy music because it makes them more aware of something / gives them a medium to rejoice for the good times or think about times they regret.

I understand Where Are We Now? off David Bowie's new album is about looking back, though at 21 I'd imagine I'm too young to fully understand how he's dealing those issues as I still have a lot of things to experience, which are covered in that song.

I'd say I would mostly listen to Green Day if I want to look back at say my teenage years in secondary school, they were one of the first guitar-based/youth symbolizing bands I've seen live. I still like their music, but I'm finding new music from time to time, who write music that covers different topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

Not whole albums but ****e like popular singles when I was small, like 'Saturday night' or 'Shine it back'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

of course,every music fan does...discovered the Stone Roses debut in the summer of `95...discovered alcohol and nightclubs too-that album always brings me back..my mother flinging my cassette copy of the Manics `holy bible' in the bin in disgust-heady days!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Achtung Maybe

10 years ago I was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour, the song that I listened to most at the time was Walk On by U2...whenever I hear that song it brings me back to the long long unforgiving hours in hospital but in a strange way the song also served as an inspiration for me to "walk on"

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Gandolph Lundgren

Probably Aerosmith. I haven't been that impressed with the last 3 albums.

• Advertisement
Advertisement