Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipe feedback

Options
  • 09-05-2013 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Recipe Specifications
    Batch Size: 23.00 L
    Boil Size: 30.50 L
    Estimated OG: 1.037 SG
    Estimated Color: 21.0 SRM
    Estimated IBU: 23.3 IBU
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
    Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
    3.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 76.9 %
    0.75 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 Grain 19.2 %
    0.15 kg Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (508.0 SRMGrain 3.8 %
    30.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (45 min) Hops 15.1 IBU
    30.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
    1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-
    Ale Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Batch Sparge. - Hot
    Total Grain Weight: 3.90 kg

what ye reckon... any tweaks. only have fuggles hops..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

I think there is way too much crystal malt but not sure what type of beer you are making, but I would 350g max for regular ale. You would usually use more choc for a porter. What type beer are you making? Mods might wanna move this as I think meant for posting a tried and trusted recipe. Might be better start a new thread yourself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tommiet

I got the recipe here,http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f67/mild-mannered-ale-ag-e-uk-us-52776/ I was looking for a mild beer for the summer months, I've that beer in the fermenter now, bottling it on the 14th...

Do you think it'll taste good....

tommiet wrote: »
    I got the recipe here,http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f67/mild-mannered-ale-ag-e-uk-us-52776/ I was looking for a mild beer for the summer months, I've that beer in the fermenter now, bottling it on the 14th...

Do you think it'll taste good....
    I'm sure it will taste great :), milds and Scottish heavies can have a lot malt flavours . It will be a great session beer. Would be intersted to know what kind of finishing gravity you get with it. Orfy has a great rep, I actually made his Hobgoblin clone a few years ago and it was a good brew.

I'll let ya know the final gravity, goin brewing this one next, beer

do you have that hobgoblin recipe.. love that stuff...

• Advertisement

I ended up with a final gravity of 1.010... should be 3.7 abv.. nice for summer drinking, if we get a summer...

I'm still looking for help on another recipe..

heres the tread

3kg pilsner malt, 225g of carapils and 225g crystal 10l malt, 25g of tettnang at 60mins and 25g tettnang at 2 mins... white labs 001 yeast..... 19 litre batch...

light ale is what i'm aiming for, easy drinking for autumn evenings...

tommiet wrote: »
    3kg pilsner malt, 225g of carapils and 225g crystal 10l malt, 25g of tettnang at 60mins and 25g tettnang at 2 mins... white labs 001 yeast..... 19 litre batch...

light ale is what i'm aiming for, easy drinking for autumn evenings...

That should be a nice light ale aright. Its nice to make a beer using noble type hops which are nice ad mellow. Pilsner malt asually adds a nice flavour too. It is usually recommended to have a 90min boil if using Pilsner malt to reduce dms . If doing a 90min boil you need to use more water to account for the extra 30min of evaporation.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Also, dont cover the boiler. I used to leave the boiler lid half on with a gap (like boiling spuds!). But apparently all the DMS, and DMS precursors can condense on the lid and end up back in your beer.

Other than that, it does look like an interesting recipe. Nice and pale, but I cant comment on tettnang.

Advertisement