Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Licence on the way for over 3.5 tonne

• 09-05-2013 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

Have a look at the link below for info on a new sub-category of C1 licence which should allow a person to get a licence to drive campers over 3.5 tonne without having to go through the whole expense of a HVG test.

The Motorhome Association

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

I will be watching this mrs K was only saying recently that she would like to upgrade to a C1 so she can drive our motorhome which is over the 3.5t anyone have any idea how this might be implemented will it likely to be a paper exercise or is it likely there will still be a test,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I will be watching this mrs K was only saying recently that she would like to upgrade to a C1 so she can drive our motorhome which is over the 3.5t anyone have any idea how this might be implemented will it likely to be a paper exercise or is it likely there will still be a test,

My reading of it is that its simply that the theory and practical test wouldn't encompass professional related stuff like tacho speed limiter etc. Doesn't sound like a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

paddyp wrote: »
    My reading of it is that its simply that the theory and practical test wouldn't encompass professional related stuff like tacho speed limiter etc. Doesn't sound like a big deal.

The principal thing which should be of concern to us motorhome owners is the vehicle required to be used when undertaking any practical training required and the test.

If it is to be the same as for an unrestricted C1 we may not be able to use our own vehicle (motorhome) but have to hire a goods vehicle of a specified type for any training and/or the test. This would put a considerable cost into the process.

It will be ok for the SME sector, or others who operate in the commercial sector who may have an employee only needing a restricted licence as they will most likely already have a suitably sized goods vehicle available.

This space need to be carefully watched, we must ensure the RSA do not try to push us in the direction of the goods/commercial environment like they initially tried with roadworthiness testing. They will need to allow the use of a passenger vehicle (motor-caravan) over 3,500kg GVW to be used.

Advertisement