Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A wet and windy May, fills the barns with corn and hay.....

Options
  • 09-05-2013 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My Dad and I were discussing old rhymes for each month, old lore based on weather and flora but he can't remember exactly how they go. I'd love to find the Irish list as the internet gives English versions which are not the same as the ones my Dad remembered......

For example..... January...snow, makes your toes and finger glow,
    February fill dykes,
    March.....winds shrill, ......dancing daffodil,
    April showers bring May flowers and drive the cattle to the...........
    A wet and windy May, fills the barn with corn and hay......
    etc.

Does anyone know how this goes?? I'd appreciate any information so I can fill in the gaps :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Often heard the line thought it was an old proverb rather than a poem about all the months. Remember my grandfather reciting it ''A wet and windy May fills the haggart with corn and hay''. The farmers could do with it after the excessively cold winter.

Tried googling it there but didnt find out much info about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Stephaniejo

I know Varberg, I spent hours trawling through too. Bizarre isn't it. It's obviously from the older generations and would be a shame if it were lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Ring or email the derek mooney show on rte they might be able to help.

My guess is its a folk saying that passed down the generations in rural areas without any particular person being remembered as saying it.

Advertisement