Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run Killarney Marathon

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    http://www.runkillarneymarathon.com/

Anyone do this before? Anyone familiar with the route? Thoughts on it?

i'm 95% decided to do the half as my first half marathon, know a couple who've done a bunch of half's round Munster, and this is their favourite. bus takes you to the top of molls gap and you run back. will be mainly downhill.

will have cycled the route 2 weeks earlier as part of the ROK cycle, so i like the idea of being back to run it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The first few miles are all downhill, so it's a very fast course (to the point of cheating! :P).

Then it goes through the National park (though they do make some changes every year) and can feel very tough after you trashed your quads on all the downhills.

The half ends there. The full then does a pretty flat loop through Killarney.

How well you're doing will depend very much on how your quads survived the early downhill miles. Not an easy course to get right, but definitely potentially a very fast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

you could defo have improved on the pb at this one thomas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

Would it be suitable for a first half marathon? I'll be in Kerry for that weekend and thought I'd give it a go.

MRJ wrote: »
    Would it be suitable for a first half marathon? I'll be in Kerry for that weekend and thought I'd give it a go.

planning on it being my first anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

you could defo have improved on the pb at this one thomas :)

2 years I ago it was a 15 mile run and I improved my PB by over 3 minutes, so I guess I'd have to agree.

I won't PB this year - it's 2 weeks after the 10in10 and somehow I don't think I'll be in my best shape. They asked me to pace but I declined because I have no idea what time I'll be able to do.

going to use a non refundable voucher to book accommodation for this tonight which will pretty much commit me to doing it. also off out to do a 16km run tonight so training well under way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm planning on running this as my first half marathon. Definitely need to get the first half of the race planned correctly in my head. There's a very experienced runner working in my local Holland and Barrett so I'm going to grill him whill I buy a few bits and bobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Thinking of doing the 10K (along with Dingle Half on Sep 7) as prep races for Dublin. Quite annoying that you can only pick up your race pack the night before at the "expo" which happens to be on in the hotel that's sponsoring the event. That's a 2 hour journey just to get my pack the night before and the same again in the morning for me.

doing the half, but suffering with a knee problem right now, did 18 a couple of weeks ago but not run since, will do a 18/20km next week and a couple of shorts but this is going to be interesting.

• Advertisement

cycled the course yesterday as part of the ROK. have to say, it's a lot tougher than i thought it was going to be. this is not going to be an easy run

mossym wrote: »
    cycled the course yesterday as part of the ROK. have to say, it's a lot tougher than i thought it was going to be. this is not going to be an easy run

Oh great! :D Can you explain how it's tougher? Is there a lot of hills early on?

Doing a 19km at 7am tomorrow to avoid the heat. I'm hoping the weather cools a bit before next week. I'm signed up now so looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

Any pacers in half?

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Oh great! :D Can you explain how it's tougher? Is there a lot of hills early on?

it's depicted as running down from moll's, in fairness there are quite a few uphill drags as well. plus the drag in from muckross house could be tough

i could be wrong, but cycling it it just felt like a tougher run than the course profile suggeests
    Trampas wrote: »
    Any pacers in half?

i asked this on twitter, got a reply that there would be 1.30, 1.40, 1.50 and 2.00 pacers

"The high pressure will be building over Ireland for the next week, so temperatures will be heading back up to the high 20s by Saturday and Sunday."

going to be warm folks. hydrate well this week

twitter account just confirmed the pacer times i provided above

Lots of heat at 1030 I reckon, I'll fade like a flower in it :P

Lots of heat at 1030 I reckon, I'll fade like a flower in it :P

is that for the end of the half or the start of the 10k?:D

mossym wrote: »
    is that for the end of the half or the start of the 10k?:D

haha end of the half. I'm not going to be throwing at great shapes. Want to come home under 2:15:00 for my first half but heat has a terrible effect on me :D

haha end of the half. I'm not going to be throwing at great shapes. Want to come home under 2:15:00 for my first half but heat has a terrible effect on me :D

it's my first half as well, aiming for sub 2:00, do okay in the heat but haven't really done focus training for this so it's a bit of a crapshoot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

anyone any ideas on the kind of numbers expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 celeniu

Last I heard theres 1000 for the 10 k,950 for the half and something like 400 odd for the full.I'm doin the full but am gettin a bit anxious now about the heat.I hope theres some bit of a breeze and if all else fails we'll be running very near one of the lakes at some point too so we might make a duathlon out of it.:D

Looks to be really hot tomorrow. Forcasts of 23 on the day have shot to 27, so the morning will probably be hotter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

People would be well advised to adjust their predicted times tomorrow. In these temps you could well add 15% or more to your time.

This link will give you a good idea

I am pacing 2 Hour half tomorrow so make yourselves known at the start

ger664 wrote: »
    People would be well advised to adjust their predicted times tomorrow. In these temps you could well add 15% or more to your time.

This link will give you a good idea

I am pacing 2 Hour half tomorrow so make yourselves known at the start

i'll be following you around so, aiming for 2 hours. see you in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Good luck to everyone taking part - I never thought I'd be glad to have decided not to go to Killarney but for this one time I am. Marathons are difficult enough without that heat.

Dat heat!

I have incredible respect for anyone who finished the marathon in that heat today. Unbelievable heat even at 1030 this morning.

So the half pretty much as I had expected except for the most part. Kept with the 2:00 hr half marathon pacers till around mile 8 but the lack of water on the course was an absolute killer for someone that had never done a half before. Couldn't really take a gel, couldn't wash down anything I had and I was just drained. Walked for a bit and as I was just contemplating walking back, a woman pulled up. We got talking and decided just to get the thing finished. We were both outside the 2h but we went for the 2:15h. Kept each other going till the very end. Was sweltering by the time we were in Muckross park but got over the end in 2:12:18 so, considering that heat, was very happy.

The lack of adequate water for the first two stops was very disappointing, and I can see that there was quite a large number of DNF. My first water was the dregs of another persons discarded bottle. Not good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sam30

yeah in fairness I came through in 1.35 pace and at that stage the water stations seemed sparse. It was expensive enough entry to have sufficient water. Course is class.There is an unbelievable amount of small uphill sections-its definitely not downhill!

sam30 wrote: »
    yeah in fairness I came through in 1.35 pace and at that stage the water stations seemed sparse. It was expensive enough entry to have sufficient water. Course is class.There is an unbelievable amount of small uphill sections-its definitely not downhill!

Even at 1:35 the water was sparse? Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Inadequate water supplies is just about unforgivable. It's not as if the hot weather was a surprise - the organisers of the Clontarf half were left with 1700 spare bottles but nobody was left short on the day.

Advertisement