Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run Killarney Marathon

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Sorry about the water .
    A slight oversight I'd say. The guy who was rushing to the bank to lodge all the 70, 55 & 25e entry fees, obviously just forgot to pick up a few slabs of water bottles in our local Aldi. Sure it'll be all grand next year, and wasn't the course absolutely fantastic in the sunshine? You were lucky to be allowed run on our roads down here in the Killarney. See you next year suckers!!.....

Disclaimer...I have nothing to do with the organisation of this race :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

celeniu wrote: »
    Last I heard theres 1000 for the 10 k,950 for the half and something like 400 odd for the full.I'm doin the full but am gettin a bit anxious now about the heat.I hope theres some bit of a breeze and if all else fails we'll be running very near one of the lakes at some point too so we might make a duathlon out of it.:D

According to the results, 680 finished the 10K, 638 finished the half and 211 finished the marathon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

FutureGuy wrote: »
    . Kept with the 2:00 hr half marathon pacers till around mile 8 but the lack of water on the course was an absolute killer for someone that had never done a half before. l.

we were running in the same group so, i trailed the 2 hr pacers till about mile 11 then pushed on with what i had left. we were probably running side by side for a while. i had the solid white tshirt on . was doing a bit of talking with ger664, who, btw was an excellent pacer, kept the group going well and was very proactive about trying to get the water sorted. Cheers ger(plus the other 2hr pacer), many thanks for taking us through on time and looking after the ever dwindling group behind you, did all you could

chip time they give me is the same as my gun time, 1.59:01, which i know is off, my garmin reads 1:57, so it looks like officially i am just getting the gun time rather than my proper chip time. i know i went over the line in the high 1:58, could have been just into 1:59, but that was gun time, not chip time.

not to worry though, first half done on target of under 2 hrs. sent the organisers a message on twitter about the water and they have already been back to apologise and promising it was an oversight which won't happen again . apart from that i really enjoyed the race, was a great course, loved the run and would definitely do again, for the weekend in killarney as much as anything else, have spent 2 of the last 3 weekends in Killarney with the ROK cycle and now the half and had savage crack on both occasions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

mossym wrote: »
    we were running in the same group so, i trailed the 2 hr pacers till about mile 11 then pushed on with what i had left. we were probably running side by side for a while. i had the solid white tshirt on . was doing a bit of talking with ger664, who, btw was an excellent pacer, kept the group going well and was very proactive about trying to get the water sorted. Cheers ger(plus the other 2hr pacer), many thanks for taking us through on time and looking after the ever dwindling group behind you, did all you could

chip time they give me is the same as my gun time, 1.59:01, which i know is off, my garmin reads 1:57, so it looks like officially i am just getting the gun time rather than my proper chip time. i know i went over the line in the high 1:58, could have been just into 1:59, but that was gun time, not chip time.

not to worry though, first half done on target of under 2 hrs. sent the organisers a message on twitter about the water and they have already been back to apologise and promising it was an oversight which won't happen again . apart from that i really enjoyed the race, was a great course, loved the run and would definitely do again, for the weekend in killarney as much as anything else, have spent 2 of the last 3 weekends in Killarney with the ROK cycle and now the half and had savage crack on both occasions.

Were we talking about the half in Charleville before the race by any chance and did we talk around 5 miles in saying I was well on for the 2h? I was wearing the Black Great Limerick Run tech top.

Well done man, great effort. If you find your name in the results section and click it, does it give 2 separate times? I initially thought I had the same line/chip times but found the correct times there.

Also thanks to Ger, excellent pacer. Too bad I couldn't hang till the end :) One of the hills just killed me altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Roger O Mahony was the other pacer with us, who got the timing spot on for the last 2 miles as my main watch malfunctioned.

MossyM as you start pretty close to me my differential between gun and chip was 1:15.

The water situation soured what was up to that point and afterwards a pretty well run event from my perspective.

• Advertisement

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Were we talking about the half in Charleville before the race by any chance and did we talk around 5 miles in saying I was well on for the 2h? I was wearing the Black Great Limerick Run tech top.

Well done man, great effort. If you find your name in the results section and click it, does it give 2 separate times? I initially thought I had the same line/chip times but found the correct times there.

Also thanks to Ger, excellent pacer. Too bad I couldn't hang till the end :) One of the hills just killed me altogether.

aye that was me. you looked good when i saw you, seemed to be holding the pace well. wouldn't worry about times from yesterday, heat made it damn tough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Lack of water on any day is unforgiveable but on a day like Saturday and having paid €55 is insane! A friend of mine who was doing the half got her first full bottle of water at mile 10. Before that people were picking up bottles of water off the ground at the unmanned water stations.
    The course is beautiful, the tee shirts are lovely, the organisation bar the water was brilliant and I would definitely do it again. Also they could do with more toilets at the start line - the queue was ridiculous. I did like the way they started the 2 races bang on time though. Also it was nice at the finish line, having finished the half, seeing so many other participants finish their races.
    It's a tricky course to pace, I got it all wrong - will be smarter next time! :rolleyes:

Jesus, the thought of not having water last Saturday...it makes me wince and I wasn't even there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

No point in moaning if you dont vote with your feet. Not having enough on a day like that is a disgrace tbh. An oversight is not putting a mile marker up or something else small.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 celeniu

Personally i didn't experience any problems with water but the organisers need to take note.Lack of water on a day like saturday is potentially life threatening..Overall I thought it was a good day with a good atmosphere at the end....sunshine,live music and craic.I had read previously on the organisers FB page that there was almost 2000 for the 10k and the half and nearly 400 for the full.But as it turned out there was about 1600 altogether.I wonder if the numbers are exaggerated just to get more people signed up.
    This event has great potential if the organisers can get their act together.I tried to break the 3:30 for the full but when the pacers passed me at mile 21,that was it for me.managed to finish in 3:40 so roll on Dublin for sub 3:30.Hopefully it wont be as hot:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Enjoyed the day overall, good weather (at the start anyway!) and a good atmosphere.
    celeniu wrote: »
    I tried to break the 3:30 for the full but when the pacers passed me at mile 21,that was it for me.managed to finish in 3:40 so roll on Dublin for sub 3:30.Hopefully it wont be as hot:eek:

Sounds familiar, was heading for a sub 4:00 for my first marathon and pacers over took around mile 21.

People must have been drinking a lot of water before the race, as i passed a large number of runners along the side of the road in the first 6 miles watering the flowers.

Longboard wrote: »

People must have been drinking a lot of water before the race, as i passed a large number of runners along the side of the road in the first 6 miles watering the flowers.

hardly surprising, i think everyone was being very cautious with the heat. the huge queue at the start line for toilets probably forced some people to start without going as well

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

Just back from Kerry, thoroughly enjoyed the run even in the heat. Really struggled from the 9 mile mark but made it through to finish. Would definitely do again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Eventually got round to doing a write up on this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Good report Ger and some very valid points.

agree, well said Ger. agree completely on the club race scene around clare/limerick, there is the ballyhoura race season but that is a bit of a trek if you're north of limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Love Killarney - the scenery, the people, the buzz, and I'll be back - but on my own terms for a train in the park and not for this race. It was fantastic last year but this year there were quite a few changes and they weren't really to the benefit of the participant, such as:
    *No parking at start for 10k people. Muckross was straightforward.
    *Previous day reg that required Fri night bed expense, instead of mailed out race numbers (rather drive Sat morn and spend Sat night relaxing in the town)
    *T-shirt sizes not allocated despite being requested to choose size at entry
    *No clock for races other than marathon at the finish line.
    *Many people not visible in the results and they shuffled around a lot afterward over the following days as people were inserted (could be timing company issue rather than race organisers but still a dent in the quality of the experience). This even happened in the top 40 of the 10k. Can't see how that went so badly wrong.
    *Water shortages on a warm day that you could have predicted the previous week (no such issue in 10km to be fair).

All in all have lost faith in commercially-run athletic events and will stick to club-organised ones in future. Shame after they got it so right in 2012.

Advertisement