If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turntable please - rega rp1 or alternative

Options
  • 09-05-2013 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭

What's the best deal on a rega rp1 please, delivery to Dublin. 

Open to alternate suggestions too - as a matter of interest does the rega come with a dust cover? All pics of it are without.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

FB,

to be honest there really is no alternative as good at the same price that I've come across to date..

Its currently £229.95 and I'll do free delivery to Dublin included in that price - and yep - it comes with a lid.

...Sounds grrrrrrrrrrreat!

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Cheers. Might have yourself a sale. What's the damage in euros?

fat bloke wrote: »
    Cheers. Might have yourself a sale. What's the damage in euros?
    FB,

apologies about the delay getting back to you - I can do it delivered at €279.99 - we have them in stock and ready to ship so depending on whereabouts you are in Dublin - you could have it later today or Monday (we have a driver in some areas of Dublin today)

Do make sure your amp has a phono input - if not we have phono step-up transformers from just £24.95 and the matching Rega phono amp is £89.95 / €109.99.

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

FB,

apologies about the delay getting back to you - I can do it delivered at €279.99 - we have them in stock and ready to ship so depending on whereabouts you are in Dublin - you could have it later today or Monday (we have a driver in some areas of Dublin today)

Do make sure your amp has a phono input - if not we have phono step-up transformers from just £24.95 and the matching Rega phono amp is £89.95 / €109.99.

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi there,

Thanks very much for the reply. The amp is actually a rega as well a mira (not sure which model exactly but we have it a good 12 years I'd say, along with a Rega Planet Cd player). I just kinda figured with rega making decent turntables that their amps would naturally be compatible but it doesn't actually have a phono setting :(). It has "disc, cd, tuner, aux1 and aux2". 

Would you be able to tell me if any of those channels are phono compatible? 

If not, what's the deal with the transformer and amp. Is that an either/or or do I need both?

Apologies for the dumb-ass questions, vinyl is alien to me...

Hi there,

Thanks very much for the reply. The amp is actually a rega as well a mira (not sure which model exactly but we have it a good 12 years I'd say, along with a Rega Planet Cd player). I just kinda figured with rega making decent turntables that their amps would naturally be compatible but it doesn't actually have a phono setting ). It has "disc, cd, tuner, aux1 and aux2". 

Would you be able to tell me if any of those channels are phono compatible? 

If not, what's the deal with the transformer and amp. Is that an either/or or do I need both?

Apologies for the dumb-ass questions, vinyl is alien to me...
    No problem at all with the questions - that's what we do :)

If it's a Mira 3 then it can take either MM or MC turntables - however they were badged as 'Phono' - I would be pretty damn confident that your Mira is the same (especially as it has a separate 'CD' labelled input) - it wont do any harm trying a turntable into a CD input anyway so you have nothing to lose ( you could potentially damage a Phono input if you plugged in a unit with a variable output - but thats not the case here!)

Keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Advertisement

It's definitely not the mira 3. I believe there was a mira 2000 prior to that but it doesn't say that on the unit and google image shows me a different amp.
    Not sure if I can embed pics here but this is the model I have:
    regamira.jpg

It has a "tape" in channel at the back and a tape toggle function at the front, but definitely nothing marked as phono.

I suppose basically what I'm asking is, if I buy the turntable, specifically the rega rp1, is that all I need to buy in order to plug it into my existing set up, or do I need to buy something else - one of these step-up transformers/pre-amps or whatever to allow me to plug the rega rp1 into the rega mira?
    I suppose I should contact Rega themselves. But if you guys can advise me I'd appreciate it. The turntable would be a birthday gift for my wife so it'd be a damp squib if she unwrapped it, plugged it in and .... nothing happened.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

It's definitely not the mira 3. I believe there was a mira 2000 prior to that but it doesn't say that on the unit and google image shows me a different amp.
    Not sure if I can embed pics here but this is the model I have:

It has a "tape" in channel at the back and a tape toggle function at the front, but definitely nothing marked as phono.

I suppose basically what I'm asking is, if I buy the turntable, specifically the rega rp1, is that all I need to buy in order to plug it into my existing set up, or do I need to buy something else - one of these step-up transformers/pre-amps or whatever to allow me to plug the rega rp1 into the rega mira?
    I suppose I should contact Rega themselves. But if you guys can advise me I'd appreciate it. The turntable would be a birthday gift for my wife so it'd be a damp squib if she unwrapped it, plugged it in and .... nothing happened.

Hi again,

John is out of the office so I'm just replying on his behalf.  Hope you don't mind.

From what you've said it doesn't sound like the amp has a built in phono stage.  Unfortunately the RP1 doesn't have 1 either so you would need a separate pre-phono amp to run between the two.  

Check out the Cambridge Aduio Azur 651P MM/MC phono stage currently priced at £119.95:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/phono-pre-amps/cambridge-audio/azur-651p/camb-651p

Chris

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.