Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council Housing Refusal

Options
  • 09-05-2013 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hoping for advice...my fiancé and I have been refused application to the local council for housing as we 'earn too much' (37,500€ combined), yet even the government funded mortgage scheme says we earn too little to apply for a mortgage - their minimum joint income threshold is €45,000. We have three children... Has anyone been in the same boat - are we destined to rent forever? We are moving due to the sale of our rented house for the 2nd time in 18 months and all I want is stability for our kids. We both work and pay tax and full rent and yet according to guidelines we seem to be stuck in this grey area where we can't have a stable home for our family.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

its unfortunate but they are correct you don't qualify.

I wouldn't call it a grey area. It isn't a case of if you cant afford to buy you should be able to get council housing. Council housing is a social provision to help the most vulnerable in society.

You and your fiancé are not in the grand scheme of things well off but you are in no means in need of housing. You can afford private rented accommodation and without changes in your circumstances will continue down this road.

Please don't take this as me having a go at you because it isn't, but the mentality in this country that house ownership should be a right not a privilege is a significant reason why we had such a big bubble and are in such a mess right now.

There is nothing wrong with renting, all you need to do is find the right house with the right landlord and there's no reason why it cannot become a long term home for your family.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

These are the maximum income limits for social housing
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,29414,en.pdf
    It's for net (after tax) income. Calculate yourself whether you qualify and if so appeal.

Advertisement