Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mp5k front sight issue

• 09-05-2013 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,278 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting a 2nd hand mp5k and the seller said he knocked the front of the gun off a tree and so the front sight which is normally held on with a screw is held on with a cable tie. Would it be cheap enough to replace?
    Would you bother?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

would ya bother? personal choice really.

cheap to replace? are ya talking about the screw or the actual sight? I wouldn't see the screw being too expensive you really just need one that fits into the hole i wouldn't think it needs to be the exact one that came with it more just one that fits right, doesn't have any protruding bits that may snag on something else and cause problems etc.

for example I've a red dot for my pistol and one of teh allen nuts for mounting it decided it no longer wanted to be my friend and ran away on me, so i just put a similar sized bolt in its place. ok its not the same colour or what not but i couldn't give a monkeys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,278 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Faolchu wrote: »
    would ya bother? personal choice really.

cheap to replace? are ya talking about the screw or the actual sight? I wouldn't see the screw being too expensive you really just need one that fits into the hole i wouldn't think it needs to be the exact one that came with it more just one that fits right, doesn't have any protruding bits that may snag on something else and cause problems etc.

for example I've a red dot for my pistol and one of teh allen nuts for mounting it decided it no longer wanted to be my friend and ran away on me, so i just put a similar sized bolt in its place. ok its not the same colour or what not but i couldn't give a monkeys

It's the screw receiver that's broke, so I guess the whole housing for the screw that needs replacing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

everlast75 wrote: »
    It's the screw receiver that's broke, so I guess the whole housing for the screw that needs replacing

depends on the make up really. if the "hole" that the original screw goes into actually runs straight through as in its open both sides then you could try a nut and bolt combo. if one side is closed off then you could try boring through so that you could use a nut. but if the actually "hole" that the nut goes into is missing and in broken off so that no nut will hold it in place then its cable tie or replace i would think.

i guess its hard to advise without an idea of what the actual damage looks like. is there any pics available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭darren ff

Has the seller posted pics of the damaged area? , I'd ask for them before making an offer. You will see if its worth your while repairing or not.

Advertisement