Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any mature students studying law?

Options
  • 10-05-2013 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Specifically in D.I.T AND DCU, although I would be curious about people's experiances anywhere.

I kind of screwed about in my first degree,was far too young to go to university. I was thinking of applying for a law degree. How do you find the workload? Is it extremely competitive? Is it more exam based or assignment based? What are you prospects after?

Thanks for any responses,
    Best regards,
    Beckett.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

I finished the King's Inns Diploma last year, which is a law degree equivalent and targetted pretty much towards entrance to the Bar Degree in the KI. I'm doing the bar now. The diploma was a lot of work over two years and very much exam rather than assignment based, though there are assignments. The workload is heavy, and I'm on the really quite mature end of the scale but I managed fine. From talking to others in my current course, that seems to be the structure for law degrees everywhere.

Law is one of those subjects that you can become completely immersed in, and it always presents a fascinating combination of legal theory and real-life practice, I love it. In terms of 'prospects', there's no straightforward road into a decent/enjoyable/well-paid job, it's very much what you make of it. It can open doors to careers, but these days it's just a first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 theequaliser

Did you plan on doing an LLB or a mixture of law with another subject?
    If doing a full law degree, it is intense so you must be definite about what it is you want-that is the starting point. Also,do you have a degree already?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 beckett85

Cheers for the responses lads. Yes, I do have a degree(average Arts degree). I'm still researching and deciding between this and teaching. Thanks for your input!

Advertisement