Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily's in Douglas

Options
  • 10-05-2013 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Drove past yesterday and was sad to see shutters pulled down. I'm assuming it's for good?
    I remember in the mid-90s it was such a thriving deli/bakery/news agency .
    I know it had become really rundown over past few years, but just was nostalgic for the shop of old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh no another bites the dust. Shame sure I suppose no one needs it anymore they can call to Tesco and then. reading the Cork inde last night I see they are after giving planning for another daft development of shops on the back douglas road..Twill ruin all the small shops around

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Whereabouts on the back douglas road? Jeez...cant think where there is room for them and not like they are needed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Wow thats a real shock , that place used be tearing busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

It is where the old car place used to be sorry I cannot think of the name of it. There is already a big centra there me thinks. Ill get the name for the paper this evening

Ah right. Kevin o learys. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Milly33 wrote: »
    It is where the old car place used to be sorry I cannot think of the name of it. There is already a big centra there me thinks. Ill get the name for the paper this evening

It's the place on the Douglas Road not South (back) Douglas road. There used to be a Renault garage there during the boom, it was a petrol station in the 1990s, its the one on the Douglas side of St Finbarr's hospital.

That makes more sense alright. Not much more but a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

The place was barren (stock wise) since Centra left and it became just Daily's again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Drove past yesterday and was sad to see shutters pulled down. I'm assuming it's for good?
    I remember in the mid-90s it was such a thriving deli/bakery/news agency .
    I know it had become really rundown over past few years, but just was nostalgic for the shop of old.

When did it start falling apart? Did the change ownership or what? I remember it being a great shop in the 90s. Haven't been out that direction in absolute ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I had an interview there years ago when it was busy. i was told id get a call the next day to say how it went but heard nothing which i thought was a bit rude.
    6 weeks later i got a call asking if i wanted the job and could i start on monday. Of course says i, delighted, thanks!! I got another call tuesday asking why i hadnt turned up and i told them to shove their job up their hole. That gave me a huge amount of pleasure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

the place was manky for the past few years, if they couldn't be bothered to keep the place clean (both inside and out) then it's better off closed.
    During the busy times it was dangerous with cars coming in and out of the place, reversing out onto a busy road, hardly ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Just shame to see what was once a thriving business go under. It was Baltic for the cashier in there. The heater broke and the owner never bothered to get it fixed....suppose the writing was on the wall for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cartuja

Guy that ran it for the last few years was a total tosser.
    Off license rather than a convenience store.
    Shelves stocked with items that had little or no shelf life.
    Staff were good.

Won't be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Similar experience a few weeks ago. Very friendly staff, but half the lights were off, shelves bare, coffee machine looked like it had been broken for a long time...

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I think maybe the OP means the place across from St. Columba's school rather that the one at the old Renault garage? I'm sad to see it close too, but I'm not surprised to be honest. It had gone seriously downhill over the last few years, dirty and poorly stocked. I think Supervalu in Grange killed off a lot of their business as it's so close by, and it's more accessible than Tesco if you just want to nip in quickly for a few bits. Still, it's sad to see the smaller "local" shops go.

I wonder what (if anything) will replace it there? The unit attached to it that used to be the off licence has been closed for a very long time. If it's another convenience store it's going to have to seriously differentiate itself in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Cartuja wrote: »
    Guy that ran it for the last few years was a total tosser.
    Off license rather than a convenience store.
    Shelves stocked with items that had little or no shelf life.
    Staff were good.

Won't be missed.

Same guy owns the shop next to Colaiste Choilm in Ballincollig. Has run this into the ground too - bare shelves, etc. Very friendly staff, but owner & his missus could do with attending a customer service course! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Same guy owns the shop next to Colaiste Choilm in Ballincollig. Has run this into the ground too - bare shelves, etc. Very friendly staff, but owner & his missus could do with attending a customer service course! :rolleyes:

This shop closed a few days ago too. Hopefully it will be taken over by someone with a bit of business/customer relations savvy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

The fact there is a huge Tesco in Douglas means people will do their major shopping there. And I would imagine most people from the Donnybrook/Grange/Frankfield area will go to SuperValu/Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 corkcoco

Daily's shop at the foot of Donnybrook hill is reopening under new management on Wed next the 24-July. I'm sure it's difficult for the smaller shops to survive in the village with so many major retailers to compete with but nothing beats good old fashioned home baked cakes & the tasty deli meats & salads that the Dailys was known for in it's early days. hopefully it will be restored to its former glory......find out next week..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Hogzy wrote: »
    The fact there is a huge Tesco in Douglas means people will do their major shopping there. And I would imagine most people from the Donnybrook/Grange/Frankfield area will go to SuperValu/Aldi.

Tesco (and its predecessor Quinsworth) have been in Douglas for 41 years. It's hardly new competition to be fair. I know the Tesco branch is now huge, but they've been selling groceries for a long time before Daly's !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

dailys is handy as a pop in pop out shop especially for us when heading from maryborough visiting relatives in donnybrook/grange,

like last weekend we were missing candles for a birthday cake, and i couldn't be bothered going all the way to tescos driving upstairs to walk back downstairs and then walking back upstairs to drive back down, its easier to just pull in park run in run out.

in the end we stopped at maxol but thats a tiny shop in comparison stock wise

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

corkcoco wrote: »
    nothing beats good old fashioned home baked cakes & the tasty deli meats & salads that the Dailys was known for in it's early days. hopefully it will be restored to its former glory......find out next week..

That's what I'm hoping - that they'll do something a bit more special than your average deli. Good luck to them regardless!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

corkcoco wrote: »
    Daily's shop at the foot of Donnybrook hill is reopening under new management on Wed next the 24-July. I'm sure it's difficult for the smaller shops to survive in the village with so many major retailers to compete with but nothing beats good old fashioned home baked cakes & the tasty deli meats & salads that the Dailys was known for in it's early days. hopefully it will be restored to its former glory......find out next week..

Good luck on the reopening! Really hope it goes well and Dailys is back to it's finest!

Advertisement