Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St John Ambulance Raheny Division looking for vounteers

Options
  • 10-05-2013 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

to anyone intrested in joining st john ambulance raheny division we meet every friday at the parish hall behind the odeon coolock cinema. We are a combined division with both cadets aged from 10 -18 meet at 7-8.30pm and adults 18 + meet from 8 - 10pm. Always looking for new members to join and help us out at the many local and national duties throughout the year, which includes croke park the aviva, rds arena the aul clonshaugh and alsaa to name a few venues.

For more details please email sjaraheny@gmail.com

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Are there any membership or subscription fees, and if so, are they one-off or paid weekly/monthly/annually?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

I thought they were a voluntary Org?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Most do charge for some things. Usually you still have to pay for uniforms, boots etc in most of them. Even when steel toe boots are considered PPE and your employer is obliged to provide them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

hi all yes there is subs of 2.50 per week to help towards paying rent of the parish hall and training. Membership is currently closed at the moment and we are due back on the 6th Sept. If there is a good number of new volunteers we will be able to run a first aid course in Sept depending on the numbers and as soon as you have all passed the course you will be available for duties. Anyone interested pm me for more details or any questions you may have

Shield wrote: »
    Are there any membership or subscription fees, and if so, are they one-off or paid weekly/monthly/annually?

hi shield sorry for delay in getting back to you hectic few months with finishing college and exams.

memberships is 2.50 per meeting every Friday night can be paid weekly monthly or annually.

• Advertisement

Any one intrested in joining we are due back at meetings after the summer break on 6th september in the parish hall at st johns church on tonlegee rd at back of the odeon cinema in coolock. Enjoy the rest of the summer

• Site Banned Posts: 49 Francesco

Hi, roughly how long does it take to become EFR and then EMT qualified ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Probably 2 years (at the minimum) at the minute. that's it in OMAC anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭shantolog

pm sent
    :)

sorry bout delay Francesco in posting back was on my hols.

I first started with St Johns Raheny in april 2010 as a first aider and I did CFR & EFR with medicall in Sept 2010. then in Jan 2011 I did EMT course with medicall. you can go through the private companies and get training that way to EFR or EMT level. st john will run a course in autumn depending on completion of 100 duty hours and cardiac first responder course completed. not sure of the price at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

villains77 wrote: »
    not sure of the price at the moment.

Do members have to pay to go on courses and are uniforms provided or do they have to be paid for?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

miju wrote: »
    Do members have to pay to go on courses and are uniforms provided or do they have to be paid for?

Apart from Community First Aid and Occupational First Aid , SJA courses are not open to the public.

Members do pay to enrol on the courses. EFR is a set fee , whilst EMT is dependent on service within the organisation. That said, the EMT fee is significantly lower than what the private organisations charge.

Members also pay for their uniforms.

I suppose thats what makes the members of SJA somewhat different in that we don't get freebies and as such makes us appreciate it more.

membership is now open again after summer break we meet every Friday night at parish hall behind Odeon cinema Coolock. Depending on the numbers there might be a first aid course commencing on the Friday nights. Uniforms will be ordered on completion of the course and a successful Garda vetting process completed. Hope to see you all there on Friday. Just ask for myself (john) or Fiona

Here is just some information about the Raheny Division which has been in existence for the past 30 years. We meet on a Friday night between 8-10 in the St John the Evangelist Church Hall on the Tonlagee Road (directly at the back the Odeon, formerly UCI cinema). This location is serviced by a number of bus routes from the Malahide Road or the 17A on the Tonlagee Road. There is also parking available outside the hall.

Our training consists of a mixture of theoretical and practical skills sessions and covers a wide range of topics from CPR ,fractures, bleeding to dealing with medically unwell patients, and manual handling. Sessions cover techniques requiring little equipment to using ambulance equipment in treatment.

Our members also provide first aid services at a range of events in venues such as Croke Park, Avivia stadium and the RDS from GAA matches to concerts.We also provide first aid cover at local events such as community open days and local festivals.

We always value new volunteers and can provide training from a basic level to more advanced skills.

Should you require any further information please don't hesitate to contact me.

We hope to meet you on Friday

If any more info is needed please reply to sjaraheny@gmail.com

Advertisement