Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIY Bodywork

• 10-05-2013 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭

My car (MG) needs some minor repairs on the rear wings. It could amount to some surface rust removal on one side maybe a replacement panel
    on the other and then respraying the areas. I'd love to be able to take this on myself but I don't weld or paint and I'd probably make a mess of it if I tried.

I'm quite handy and I reckon I could learn the basics quickly. Just wondering how many out there do their own body work and are self taught?

How hard is it to learn the basics? I know I could get a load of scrap parts and practice but I'm sure with some guidance a lot of mistakes could be avoided. I'd be willing to pay someone to teach me some basics if anyone's up for it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i've had a go, I was improving although my welding is pants still. Your approach with practising on scrap bits is the way to go.

I found the hardest bit really was getting enough to do to get experiance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Ive done a fair bit of my own bodywork over the last couple of years. However I have recently discovered my skills (and lack of proper equipment) mean Im more suited to doing smaller patch-up jobs than large scale work. I did the two front wings on a black 318. Filled, sanded, primed, sanded and sprayed. Came out grand, so much so that the eventual buyers made absolutely no comment on it, even though he went over the car with a fine tooth comb.

I have recently brought another car's roof down to the metal for a respray in a shop and was told by the owner that I had made it worse than before I started! Don't try anything like this without an orbital sander is the moral of the story!

Patience gets you along way with bodywork though. That and lots of youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

money is the main reason I do the work myself as in I don't have any.sold a car a few years ago and bought a welder,practiced a bit on scrap but got my experience from actual work.cut out/welded in scuttle panels,weded up floor etc.am on my 2nd car now.got many tips from various people too.as for painting I go spray can route.plenty of rubbing down,making smooth and take ya time.where are you based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Likewise. Youtube has a wealth of tutorials and practce makes (pretty near) perfect. Pick up some old panels from a breakers or body repair shop, maybe damaged beyond "normal" repair and go for it. Take your time and proper preparation is crucial. It will pay dividends in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Gel

Thanks for the replies all. Sounds encouraging!
    I'm in Naas by the way

• Advertisement

Just a couple more thoughts and questions.

What equipment do I need?

I bought some of that Aldi stuff a while back and I've heard it's okay for smaller jobs. So far I have:

Compressor
    Cut-off tool
    Metal shears
    Sand blaster... no idea where to get this stuff once it runs out!
    Angle grinder
    Sip Mig Welder... had a problem with wire feed but I think I have it sorted

I defo. need a good welding mask

Anything else?

Just a thought ... Could it end up being cheaper in the end to just get someone else to do the work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Gel wrote: »
    Just a couple more thoughts and questions.

What equipment do I need?

I bought some of that Aldi stuff a while back and I've heard it's okay for smaller jobs. So far I have:

Compressor
    Cut-off tool
    Metal shears
    Sand blaster... no idea where to get this stuff once it runs out!
    Angle grinder
    Sip Mig Welder... had a problem with wire feed but I think I have it sorted

I defo. need a good welding mask

Anything else?

Just a thought ... Could it end up being cheaper in the end to just get someone else to do the work?

It's not always about "being cheaper". The immense degree of satisfaction achieved from "doing it yourself" is priceless. You are adding to your experience, ability, tool kit, know how, and the fact that you know exactly what has been done and how well it has been done, is a serious feel good factor.

How often have you left a car in for repairs and gotten it back with no knowledge whatsoever of what has actually been done?

Buying the tools will often pay for themselves in a very short time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

Gel ...

if yer only in naas , your welcome to drop down to me here in the glen ,,only half an hour from you ..
    for a chat and any advice I can give you ,, ..

id agree totally with sogoods last post ...

only way to learn is hands on and yes their will be mistakes made ,but that's how we improve and learn to curse more :D

Hey Manta,

Thanks for that. I might take you up on it. Can you pm me your number?

Had Opels in the Family for years BTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

If you're planning on doing more of this in the future then buy the tools, if not then pay someone to do it, bodyshops are quite at the moment and competitive for this type of work.

An angle grinder and a mig welder are the most important tools you'll need.
    For the angle grinder get yourself; 1mm cutting discs, stripping discs and flap discs.
    Get yourself a drill and the various attachments, lots of vice grips and some of those red triangular magnets.
    Intergrips are great aswell, Frosts in the UK sell them .
    I have a compressor and rarely use it, preferring electric tools instead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement