Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with the water pump in the apartment

Options
  • 10-05-2013 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So we live in an apartment but for the past year the water pump hasn't been working great, it works for a while and the knocks off on its own. Had someone come to look at it a few months back and they said that was cause it wasn't getting any air so we made sure nothing near it was blocking the fan. Not 3 months on and it seem to be broken and hasn't worked for the past 2 weeks. We've contacted the landlord who keeps saying he'll fix it but hasn't done anything towards that. Anyone know who i can call to fix it cause i don't know if its a plumbing problem or a electric one but i think its electric not use. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Keep at your landlord; its their responsibility to fix. If you get no response then send a registered letter outlining the issue and requesting a date by which you can expect the issue to be resolved, and advising that you may have to take further action if the matter is not dealt with in a reasonably timely fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LKS

We've already contacted the landlord but i think he's away till next week or so and he says his foreman is not around and he doesn't know when he'd be back, so we're trying to see if there's any way we can fix it and we'll take the cost out of the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Make sure that he is agreeable to this. And bear in mind replacing a water pump, if that is what is required, might end up costly. From what I can gather ours cost more than a months rent to put right when it went last year.

Also bear in mind that its not your problem that the landlord is away. If this needs sorting now then he needs to find a way to get it sorted now (assuming it is having an impact on your living in the property).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Replacing the pump is actually pretty easy and will take about an hour. Best option is to buy the same pump and just disconnect the current one an reconnect. That way you don't have to worry about extending pipes etc...

Your landlord should do it. The pumps can be pretty pricey though and he may have a spare.

Well he hasn't agreed to it but at the same time we cant keep living like this so we've informed him that that is what we'll do if he doesn't fix it asap. It had been showing signs that it would break and we had informed him about it time and time again but he's not been forthcoming, and yea it's having a big impact as we live in the 2nd floor and that 1 pump feeds all the water in the apartment, so the hot water barely flows as there's no pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

IN different apartments, I've had pump problems arising from

1. airlock - the water pressure wasn't high enough and air was getting into the system.
    2. failed circuit board - the pump has electronics and these fail due to use, high ambient termperatiures and other reasons.

it may not need replacing but your landlord is an idiot for letting it go on this long, much more likely to cause longlasting damage if not dealt with quickly. Plus many flats have very low water pressure without the pump.

Marcusm wrote: »

1. airlock - the water pressure wasn't high enough and air was getting into the system.
    2. failed circuit board - the pump has electronics and these fail due to use, high ambient termperatiures and other reasons.

it may not need replacing but your landlord is an idiot for letting it go on this long, much more likely to cause longlasting damage if not dealt with quickly. Plus many flats have very low water pressure without the pump.

I don't think it would cause any long term damage. How would it?

A circuit board doesn't really fail due to use but if as has been hinted the pump was being covered that could damage the pumps working. Circuit burn out is normally a result of an electric problem that causes power surges or vents being covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Damage to relationship with tenant! Frustration leading to tenant withholding rent or performing repair at higher cost etc. Didn't really mean damage to pump although the guys who fixed the ones I had did think that intemrittent faults due to water cut out etc caused more strain on the pump. Circuit board failure was described as a common fault - he thought mine was the last in the block (210 flats) to be replaced as the pump had not been worked on at all before he changed it. The units only 4 years old which seems to be a design issue, I would have thought.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Replacing the pump is actually pretty easy and will take about an hour. Best option is to buy the same pump and just disconnect the current one an reconnect. That way you don't have to worry about extending pipes etc...

Your landlord should do it. The pumps can be pretty pricey though and he may have a spare.

Wish i knew more about pumps but i don't, ive tried looking for a new one but not exactly sure which to get as there are loads of different ones out there.

Marcusm wrote: »

I'd say it's more likely somthin like a blown fuseboard or circuit cause the other tenant said she smelt something burn when she went to check it, i've opened the circuit but everything seems intact, the only thing i havent checked is maybe the plug, if there is one for it to replace the fuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

LKS wrote: »
    Wish i knew more about pumps but i don't, ive tried looking for a new one but not exactly sure which to get as there are loads of different ones out there.
    Thats why you get a plumber to do it for you, you shouldnt attempt this job yourself, if anything goes wrong the landlord will be pretty pissed, im sure he would prefer a professional .

That really isn't long I would expect a pump to last 10 years at the least. I would suspect he biggest problem with a pump is the air intake being blocked as people tend to use the area as a hot press.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    That really isn't long I would expect a pump to last 10 years at the least. I would suspect he biggest problem with a pump is the air intake being blocked as people tend to use the area as a hot press.

The apartments like 6 years old or so, i was surprised aswell cause most people i asked said it's rare for water pumps to have faults in new apartments as their supposed to last 10years or more before they need replacing.

LKS wrote: »

Just do a search for the same model and make. If you have one sourced you might get it done quicker. It is really easy, easier than replacing a washer on an old tap. The connections are push pull or flexi pipes, then it is just like wiring a plug.

You probably are safer getting the LL to do it or a plumber. They are much cheaper on-line, as much as 50% cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Johnnieb

I had a similar issue but I contacted www.dublinpumps.ie and the chap came out and fixed the problem. Get the landlord to call him as he was fantastic and didnt charge me the sun, moon and the stars. It was a monsoon pump so not sure if that is the same one you have. Anyway good luck and contact that company. I can't thank him enough.

Best

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Make sure you get a reputable plumber. A cowboy will tell you the entire pump needs replacing no matter what the problem and charge you 600 for it. Then he'll replace the broken part in it for 50 quid and give it to the next poor sod that calls him for another 600 notes!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Don't go near the pump or bring a plumber in OP. Send the landlord a formal letter giving them 3 working days to address the issue before you take action on their refusal to ensure the basic requirements of the department of the environment for rented units are adhered to (Running water is one of the most basic).

By letting anyone other than someone appointed by the landlord at the pump you are letting yourself open to action by the landlord should anything go wrong. You also have no right to withold a portion of the rent or to agree with a contractor an amount that you then withold from the rent without the consent of the landlord.

Johnnieb wrote: »
    I had a similar issue but I contacted www.dublinpumps.ie and the chap came out and fixed the problem. Get the landlord to call him as he was fantastic and didnt charge me the sun, moon and the stars. It was a monsoon pump so not sure if that is the same one you have. Anyway good luck and contact that company. I can't thank him enough.

Best

J

Thanks i'll give them a call today...

Advertisement