Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holy child national school larkhill

Options
  • 10-05-2013 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Any reviews about this school? sending my kid there from sept 2013.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

My Dad went there, he grew up to be a taxi driver..

Only kidding, I know a few people who went there and they all seemed to work out all right!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Amy100

Any reviews about this school? sending my kid there from sept 2013.

This school doesn't have a great reputation. Anyone I know from santry/Whitehall direction went to drumcondra for school. That school was considered rough. Nowadays it's mainly non-nationals that go there. The standard wouldn't be great. Anyone I met in secondary school who went there had a way lower standard than those who went to drumcondra. (Corpus Christi). I'm now a teacher and would never send my kids there. Way better schools around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

To be fair, where you send your children to school is a very personal choice. When I went to primary school it was deemed a "crap" primary school... I send my child there now and its reputation has very much changed over the past couple of years because of a new principal who seems to have breathed new life into the school. I had no qualms about sending my child there after a chat with him.

I should add that it's not the school mentioned in the OP though.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Amy100 wrote: »
    This school doesn't have a great reputation. Anyone I know from santry/Whitehall direction went to drumcondra for school. That school was considered rough. Nowadays it's mainly non-nationals that go there. The standard wouldn't be great. Anyone I met in secondary school who went there had a way lower standard than those who went to drumcondra. (Corpus Christi). I'm now a teacher and would never send my kids there. Way better schools around.

From Santry myself and I went to St. Fiachras in beaumont as my parents felt Larkhill wasn't a good school, and tbh I'd agree after going to secondary school with people from there. Now it could have changed since then (I'm 22 now :p) but I probably wouldn't recommend it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

January wrote: »
    To be fair, where you send your children to school is a very personal choice. When I went to primary school it was deemed a "crap" primary school... I send my child there now and its reputation has very much changed over the past couple of years because of a new principal who seems to have breathed new life into the school. I had no qualms about sending my child there after a chat with him.

I should add that it's not the school mentioned in the OP though.

You must be referring to the boys school?! the principal of the girls /infant school is a woman she is very nice. I just know from secondary school. That the girls who went to lark hill were not as strong in the core subjects as the likes of Corpus Christi, scoil Mobhi and fiachras. The schools may have changed now though-as schools go through cycles!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Amy100 wrote: »
    You must be referring to the boys school?! the principal of the girls /infant school is a woman she is very nice. I just know from secondary school. That the girls who went to lark hill were not as strong in the core subjects as the likes of Corpus Christi, scoil Mobhi and fiachras. The schools may have changed now though-as schools go through cycles!

I'm not talking about any of the schools around Santry, just in general. That if you do your research and have a chat with a few of the teachers, parents of children in the school at the moment and the principal you can get a general gist of if the school is good or bad. A lot of it is to do with working with your child at home too to reinforce learning (I know you're a teacher so you know that but there's a lot of "well they're the bloody teacher they should be teaching them the stuff!" around).

January wrote: »
    I'm not talking about any of the schools around Santry, just in general. That if you do your research and have a chat with a few of the teachers, parents of children in the school at the moment and the principal you can get a general gist of if the school is good or bad. A lot of it is to do with working with your child at home too to reinforce learning (I know you're a teacher so you know that but there's a lot of "well they're the bloody teacher they should be teaching them the stuff!" around).

You get out what you put in!! I'm a believer in that! Supportive parents are key to success. Esp when class sizes are getting bigger every year! It's very hard for teachers to give much individual time to any child!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I went to this school when I was younger, my sister is in Senior Infants atm.

I'd recommend this school. The majority of kids around Santry/Whitehall go here. Going into secondary school, we were a lot more advanced in the core subjects than others who came from other schools.

Plenty of days and fairs happening, atm the school is participating in 'Food Dudes', summer fair is within the coming weeks. Christmas concerts and cake sales too. Plenty of after school activities such as Irish dancing, French, tin whistle/violin, speech and drama. Great pupil and teacher atmosphere. Resource teachers for Maths and English. The school hasn't got too many pupils, 200 or there so, so you're more or less familiar with other girls, and it's easy to make friends from different classes.

I can only speak for the National and Girls school however.

I'd be happy to answer any particular questions if needed, this is just off of the top of my head. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭simply simple

Thanks for all your opinions. Looks like those who studied there few years back have very bad review about the school. But there are few good reviews here making me more confident about the school. Just waiting for open day for parents to see how it would be to send my girl there. Very frankly if it wont suit (in worst case) I wont hesitate to change her school next year as wont have many places left this year in any schools

Sorry for not mentioning initially- sending my girl to primary school- junior infant.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

One of my nephews finished up there a few years ago, and another is in second or third class now.
    They have never had any problems, and my brother swears by the school.
    The only problem with the school is the pickup/drop-off outside which is a bit mad.

I was close to sending my boy there, but we got a place in an Educate Together school which is our preference. If we didn't get the educate together place, then me and the OP would have been crossing paths alot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I'm from Ballymun and all the posh kids or parents whose kids didn't want them to go to local school went to The Holy Child. Us commoners were made feel very inferior to them so I would have presumed it was a good school.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A school, at any level in any area, is as good as the level of involvement of parents.

Fee-paying schools, Gaelscoileanna and Educate Together, or any school where parents have had to battle to get it built, by their very nature tend to have more involved parents, but there are many mainstream primary and second level schools with active, interested parents.

Sadly, I have experience of second level schools where, in some cases, children come to enrol themselves. Such children have a hell of a battle on their hands to stay the course. The level playing field.

Advertisement